2009 Nissan Murano SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:
Meh. We are trying to get rid of it.
By md5045 on 02/19/14 12:43 PM (PST)

2009 Nissan Murano SUV SL 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This is the first review that I have written on Edmunds. We have had our 2009 Nissan Murano SL since early 2011. I am not a fan. Here is why: -- Not a comfortable ride. Very stiff and not agile at all. It is like driving a boat. The seats are comfortable but there is something with the suspension. --Doors are very wide. Hard to park in a normal parking spot. -- CVT (Transmission) is wonky. Not responsive and sluggish. -- Acceleration in general is bad. Not responsive.

Fantastic car.
By orly32 on 11/22/13 07:22 AM (PST)

2009 Nissan Murano SUV S 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Nissan murano is the best car i ever owned, no problems, fun to drive, very good looking inside and outside, Bose surround system included, could not be happier, THE ONLY NEGATIVE side on the truck is how expensive the gas is, (is better on highway, that inside the city with traffic), but the MURANO is so cool and reliable that you sacrifice that part for having a fantastic car.

Drive train failures. CVT and Xfer case issues. Don't buy Nissan! No Manufacturer Support!
By weightclub on 08/24/13 22:55 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Murano SUV SL 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

It's too bad Nissan won't stand behind THIER product. They did replace the CVT (now that they extended the factory warranty to 10yr/120K) but our transfer case was leaking too (as so many of them have) and we were told it couldn't be rebuilt since it was one that had been made with a bad part! What floored me was we got NO help from Nissan at all with the cost of the replacement part. I even contacted the executive offices in TN. $3K later, I still have a metallic rattle when the CVT is trying to kick out of the first "gear" and after reading about how many others had the same issue, I am VERY worried I will have to replace both drive train components again if we hang on to the car.

Still running strong
By ryogy on 06/18/13 13:29 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Murano SUV SL 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

My wife got the SL in '09 and it's now passed 80.000 miles. I've read all the bad reviews here and all I can say is: we're either lucky with our Murano or those other cars haven't seen a lot of maintenance. Of course, it's gone through 2 batteries but that is due to the fact that my better half never turns off any of the electrical consumers and her regular commute is generally short. ...And like other MO users, we've experienced that strange phenomenon when you have to call the Ghostbusters to scare the electrical gremlins that keep you from starting the car. Other than that, it has been a trusty companion. Powertrain runs strongs, the plastic interior holds good, all it needs is oils&fil

Not Reliable!
By achilles5433 on 09/11/12 05:36 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Murano SUV LE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I bought my 2009 Murano new and within the first year my battery died listening to music in my car for 10 mins. I had battery checked and they said its fine. After that I made sure no interior lights or seat warmers were left on and still got stuck 4 more times!! Can't get rid of this car fast enough. Reliability is everything!! Even though its awd, it's not that good in snow compared to my other vehicles. I replaced tires to snow tires and helped a little. But after they changed tires, the tire maintance light went on and won't go off. Hate the start button feature. Both my key batteries are low already. Have to go to dealership to replace. Also costs over $200 to replace if lost.

Great new, but not wearing well
By cheddar_brett on 04/16/12 08:21 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Murano SUV S 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Bought this car new in Fall '08. I was a fan of the Nissan line, and this car seemed a good value. Yet, fit and finish and wear has been a source of pain and expense. I would not recommend, wished I'd bought something different (and paid more), and won't be buying any more Nissans in the future.

My disappointments
By oldmrt on 04/13/12 09:48 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Murano SUV LE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Problems with leaking head gaskets, leaking transfer case (twice repaired), defective engine mounts and seat positioning number setting that never holds seem to be common with Murano 2009 owners and we are no exception. At 70,000 miles the car is showing all the signs of a Lemon. Up until now we were strong supporters of the Nissan line, but when the manufacturer does not stand behind a chronic problem I think it's time to look at other manufacturers for better warranties and better quality

67,000 miles strong
By phantomteg on 10/05/11 07:40 AM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Murano SUV S 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I bought my S AWD Murano used with 9K demo miles on it. I love it as much today as when I bought it. I did have a noise come from the CVT transmission at 30K miles, it didn't break but was making a tick noise so Nissan provided me with a rental and replaced it with a new one. Since then I have Zero problems with the car other than regular maintenance. The original tires lasted me 66K miles. If I had to replace it today with someone else on the market I would get a 2011 Murano. During Chicago's blizzard last winter and with nearly bald tires I was still able to drive through 10 inches plus of snow without getting stuck!

An excellent cross-over
By unmeshk on 06/14/11 20:42 PM (PDT)

2009 Nissan Murano SUV SL 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We bought ours new in 2008 and have used it for about 40,000 miles. We loved it when we bought it and having used it for city as well as highway driving, we have grown even more fond of it. The ride is powerful yet comfortable and reasonably quite. It could've been sportier, but that's just a personal taste. The interiors are great, especially the leather seats and the sound system. There's enough cargo space for a family of 3 to 4. There have been no problems with the vehicle in the last 3 years, except for one of the electronic keys that stopped working. In summary, get one if you like the drive of a car and utility of SUV. It'll be a great ride!

Great car comfortable
By pianotunertech on 02/11/11 22:30 PM (PST)

2009 Nissan Murano SUV SL 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We had a 05 Murano, it was definitely roomier than our '08. The drivetrain is a little quirky. But it gets up and moves very very quickly. The sound system in this car is the best I've ever heard for stock. It is very balanced and very powerful. The heated seats are wonderful, the ride seems to only improve with time. The seats are very comfortable for long trips with less fatigue than other cars--I like the upright sitting position. This car is very luxurious, leather, the air conditioning seems to work much better than our '05. Maybe it's the silver exterior vs. navy blue both with the black interior, but that 05 was beastly hot and hard to cool down in summer.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Nissan Murano Suv in VA is:

$120 per month*