Used 2009 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Murano - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

Murano Mistake
By Gary Ehnes

2009 Nissan Murano LE 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Tires cost double to replace and wear out twice as fast Engine blew up at 52,000 miles while regularly maintained Ride is bumpy due to giant skinny tires Zero help from Nissan

Meh. We are trying to get rid of it.
By md5045

2009 Nissan Murano SL 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This is the first review that I have written on Edmunds. We have had our 2009 Nissan Murano SL since early 2011. I am not a fan. Here is why: -- Not a comfortable ride. Very stiff and not agile at all. It is like driving a boat. The seats are comfortable but there is something with the suspension. --Doors are very wide. Hard to park in a normal parking spot. -- CVT (Transmission) is wonky. Not responsive and sluggish. -- Acceleration in general is bad. Not responsive.

Gas mileage is good. Backup camera is cool. Seats are relatively comfortable. Good sound system (Bose) Relatively reliable. That is it.

Nearly everything. I would not buy this car again if I had to do it over again. We are looking to get rid of it. It is not fun to drive. Hard to park. The minuses on this car far outweigh the pluses.

Fantastic car.
By orly32

2009 Nissan Murano S 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Nissan murano is the best car i ever owned, no problems, fun to drive, very good looking inside and outside, Bose surround system included, could not be happier, THE ONLY NEGATIVE side on the truck is how expensive the gas is, (is better on highway, that inside the city with traffic), but the MURANO is so cool and reliable that you sacrifice that part for having a fantastic car.

Leather seats, Bose speakers

It is great how it is.

Drive train failures. CVT and Xfer case issues. Don't buy Nissan! No Manufacturer Support!
By weightclub

2009 Nissan Murano SL 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

It's too bad Nissan won't stand behind THIER product. They did replace the CVT (now that they extended the factory warranty to 10yr/120K) but our transfer case was leaking too (as so many of them have) and we were told it couldn't be rebuilt since it was one that had been made with a bad part! What floored me was we got NO help from Nissan at all with the cost of the replacement part. I even contacted the executive offices in TN. $3K later, I still have a metallic rattle when the CVT is trying to kick out of the first "gear" and after reading about how many others had the same issue, I am VERY worried I will have to replace both drive train components again if we hang on to the car.

I love the look of the car.

Nissan needs to back their product. Many BBB complaints and NHTSA complaints too about the drive train failures. Nissan told me they didn't have a "campaign" out about the leaky xfer cases since the NHTSA hadn't required them to. (Although many of the people who have had to get CVT replacements also have "un-related" transfer case leaks/failures) So, at least no one has died, but until they do, Nissan doesn't care about the quality of the vehicles or the consumers that buy them. A 2009 with under 100K and 2/3 of the drive train fails, ridiculous! The tech stated it was due to a run of bad xfer cases on some VIN's, but Nissan still won't acknowledge the problem and sticks us with the bill!

Still running strong
By ryogy

2009 Nissan Murano SL 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

My wife got the SL in '09 and it's now passed 80.000 miles. I've read all the bad reviews here and all I can say is: we're either lucky with our Murano or those other cars haven't seen a lot of maintenance. Of course, it's gone through 2 batteries but that is due to the fact that my better half never turns off any of the electrical consumers and her regular commute is generally short. ...And like other MO users, we've experienced that strange phenomenon when you have to call the Ghostbusters to scare the electrical gremlins that keep you from starting the car. Other than that, it has been a trusty companion. Powertrain runs strongs, the plastic interior holds good, all it needs is oils&fil

AWD - performs beautifully even with standard all season tires Nav & Bose Audio system is pretty awesome Handling and dynamics - even after 80.000 ride is very comfy, it still has good road manners, and it absorbs road surface irregularities without making scary sounds :) Powertrain is nice. Power when you need it, perfect for cruising, it's not at home in rush hour city traffic, because the cvt can be sluggish sometimes, and the fuel mileage is below Nissan's optimistic promise. Around 20-21 mpg hwy... but that engine sounds sweet :))