Used 2005 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Murano - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

Quality not there
By Wildwest

2005 Nissan Murano S AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Bought Murano after many GM's. Like looks and performance, at 34000 miles rear brakes, completely worn out, metal to metal, too small for vehicle. Gas filler neck very rusty, very early, poor galvanization. In 4th year,at 40000 miles, chrome on Grill peeled and muffler broke off (rusted off) at inlet pipe. $400. just for muffler, from dealer. Poor quality on Grill chrome and muffler. Bought wife used Toyota RAV4, absolutely no problems. Phoned Nissan about quality problems, they said out of warranty, too bad. I believe some of these problems are due to Cleveland winters,but other cars don't have these problems.

Exterior looks, movable pedals.

Larger rear brakes,better quality on Grill chrome,galvanization of gas filler neck and exhaust system.

I was pleased until recently
By ds foley

2005 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have loved this car since I purchased it! I am in sales and live in my car during the day and had no problems until the past six months. It has been noisy for quite a while but after changing the tires and both hub assemblies we determined that it was the transmission. This car has 130,000 miles on it and is a 2005. I've probably had noise for at least 30,000 miles. The dealer is the only one that can do the work and it's expensive. I still don't know what I'm going to do. I've already put a lot of money into it this year. I'm so disappointed. I've owned a number of cars and have never had a problem of this magnitude at such a low mileage.

The look and the size is just perfect for all of the hockey equipment that I transport with my son and his friends.

I don't know. I had purchased a warranty that took me to 100K but don't know that it would have helped based on the things that I've read.

Not a long term car - too bad
By KLBliss

2005 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Loved my Murano from day 1 but am learning the hard way it won't go long term without some heavy costs. Currently @53,000 miles. Driver's seat rail collapsed just after warranty expired. Nissan USA forced dealership to cover the repair without cost - it clearly wasn't normal wear & tear. Now electrical systems are acting up - even when not it in use the Bose 6 disc CD player shuffles discs when the ignition is turned off. Front windows roll down when the remote is used to unlock the car. Occasionally, a motor under the passenger seat triggers and whines when I turn the ignition off.

The style, size and power. Mileage is okay but less than promised...even when driven optimally and well maintained. At $1.35/gal - who cares. At $4.00/gal - it makes a BIG difference!

Plastic interiors scratch and mar easily especially the door panels.

Poor Build Quality Means Failing Parts
By Disapointed

2005 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Good mechanicals and style have been offset by lots of design and quality problems. Defective power passenger window, power outlet in front, broken drivers seat motor (big $1,000 problem, Nissan wants to replace full seat for plastic gear in motor, universal failure), grille chrome plating bubbling off, lots of squeaks and rattles. I'm only putting 2,800 miles a year on a $40,000+ car, and is already showing lots of problems. What will happen at 15,000 or 20,000 miles?

Exterior style, handling, front visibility, interior room

Rear visibility is awful, must have a backup camera to safely park. Poor design choices like the plastic seat gear need to be replaced

Love/Hate Relationship
By Skeptical in GA

2005 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I loved the Murano when they came out and it was a clear choice when I downsized from my Chevy Tahoe. I wanted a smaller SUV but with a lot of interior space, especially in the back seat, and I loved the sporty style. I purchased an '05 the first week they came out. It rode very smooth and was quiet, had good pickup and much better gas mileage (21 mpg avg) compared to 14mpg in my Tahoe. Everything was great until this 4th year. My power seat has broken ($900), driver door lock is broken ($600), I need to replace my tires for the second time, and now my engine is making a knocking noise. I'm told it's probably the motor mounts (another $900). This car is getting expensive!

Styling, comfort, size

I don't like the design of the console. I'm disappointed with everything "breaking" at once. The car still looks good after 4 years but it draining my bank account. I've also had a shimmy in my steering around 60-65mph that has never been able to be corrected.