Used 2005 Nissan Murano SL SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Murano SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

Worst Car Ever
By som2

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

My car from the time of purchase has only been service by nissan dealership. I have replaced everything from belts to last a motor. Now they are telling me that it's the catalytic converter. Nissan should be ashamed of themselves for passing this pretty body off as car.

Best vehicle i've ever had.
By tychux72

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have owned my '05 SL 2WD since it arrived off the boat October 2005. It currently has 132,000 miles. I have NEVER kept a vehicle over 75,000 miles before. I drive 65 miles R/T 4-5 days a week through the Arizona desert and farmlands at 45-70 MPH, mostly using cruise control. In the summer I average 21.5 mpg or around 420 mpt. In the fall-spring without A/C I average 23.6 or 475 mpt. The most was a confirmed 525 mpt one winter. My local dealership has done all recall work as well as routine maintenance. All in all, it has been a great family ride and has never left us stranded. Unlike many Ford or Chryslers I have owned. Sure it has its known problems and this one is no different.

The style grew on me. CVT is smooth. I like the drivers position, reclining rear seat for the kids and there is plenty of room for gear in the back. Our Mo came from the factory with HID headlights, heated leather seats, moonroof, navi, Sirius, rear roof mounted entertainment with headphones and remote, backup camera and a solid BOSE sound system. I think it was called a "Versant" package. I have spent little on maintenance. My hoses and belts are changed every 50,000 miles. My battery only lasts 2-3 years on the AZ desert heat. My front brakes lasted 60,000 miles and replaced again at 110, 000 miles. Rear brakes and shocks were shot at 75,000 miles.

Yes I have had issues with the visors falling into our view- nothing a 25 cent mini bungee cord couldn't fix. Yes I had the black painted trim fade out-nothing $100 at the body shop couldn't fix. Yes I had the driver seat "break" while driving-nothing a $50 bill and a tack-weld couldn't fix. Yes I had the throttle body intake come loose under acceleration one day-yes that was scary, but I reconnected, retightened and drove away. That issue was resolved during a visit to the dealer later that week who fixed it before the recall went public. I do wish that Nissan would acknowledge the issue with the visors and seat. $200+ for replacement visors and $1000+ for a new seat is extreme.

Never another Nissan
By imeccentric

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Not a well built vehicle. Safety issues that are well known and common with this vehicle. Electric door locks do not work (wouldn't open if in an accident and you had a child by one of those doors). Sun visors won't stay up and keep falling down. That is another safety issue that is well documented. They are also well know for cheap paint that peels after a few years (we have had to have our hood repainted and it sets in a garage when not used). Most of the plastic shields that guard the fender wells, and parts underneath have fallen off or had to be tied up. 4 expensive sensors have had to be replaced. On the up side, we haven't had any drive train trouble as of yet.

Comfort, design, driveability.

Fix the safety problems, sun visors and door locks. Better paint and better fasteners for the plastic shields underneath.

What was I thinking?
By fancypants1

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I traded my lovely trouble free Honda Accord for this 2005 Murano SL with 82k miles. Was told the previous owner babied this vehicle. The leather is practically perfect so I was like ok. Week 1--the battery dies. I replaced a 2005 Nissan Factory battery in 2013!! With a J-05 code on it. Even after I replaced the battery the car wouldnt start. I tell the dealer I bought it from they cant look at it until monday. I finally get it started but I smell gas just briefly. I make it to dealer only to have the service guy tell me he cant look at it. grrr. I drive back and my gas level depletes pretty quickly. Glad I made it home. I ended up walking to work as I am now out of gas.

love the room between the lift gate and the back seat, love how high I sit. overall love the vehicle just not the issues.

Make sure all systems respond immediately upon replacing battery. Having the fuel delivery system delay cost me 2 hours of vacation time at work so I could walk home in safety.

MuranoMisery
By muranomisery

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased a used AS-IS 2005 Nissan Murano with 67,476 exact miles on the odometer from Landers McLarty Nissan in Huntsville Alabama August 17, 2011 with a verbal promise and guarantee that they do not re-sale any used vehicles that are not up to standard, dependable and trustworthy. Supposedly, all vehicles go through a thorough inspection process. My sales person, Eukrina’s exact words were “we do not put our name on anything that we won’t stand behind.”Two weeks after purchase I notice vibration and knocking noise from under the hood. Mechanical inspection from Madison Automotive on September 7, 2011 revealed that I had two motor mounts broken. (Front Engine Mount-part #11270CN101 and lower rear engine mount-part #11320CA110) Total repair estimate $847.12 I called the dealership to see if they were going to help with some of the repair cost and I was told that it must have been something that I did and that I should know that they had to replace the transmission in my trade in vehicle. Landers McLarty Nissan drove my 2000 Nissan Maxima before making me an offer and knew what the vehicle was worth and that should not have any bearing on the fact that this dealership sold me a lemon. Unable to afford replacement of both motor mounts at the same time, I had the front engine mount replaced on September 12, 2011 at a cost of $400.00, mileage aprox. 69,000. Firestone Complete Auto Care in Huntsville Alabama replaced the rear lower engine mount on October 15, 2011 at a cost of $402.15 exact mileage 70,486. At 72,469 exact miles the service engine light came on and after an engine diagnostic test with Firestone Complete Auto Care in Huntsville Alabama December 14, 2011 at a cost of $106.47 the result is a bad catalytic converter. I was advised that this could be a manufacture covered replacement issue. Landers McLarty Nissan of Huntsville performed their diagnostic test December 20, 2011 with the same results and I was told that yes it is a bad catalytic converter but that the vehicle passed the emission control test and that I must have used some bad gasoline. I informed the service person that I have only used Chevron regular grade gasoline since the purchase of the vehicle on August 17th 2011. I was told that there is nothing that they can do and suggested that I run premium gasoline in the vehicle to see if this clears the problem. I have relayed this information to a reputable mechanic and repair shop and I am told that is only a ploy to get me over the mileage whereas the manufactures warranty would not have to cover the repair/replacement of the $500.00 part. Now, an additional $1,005.73 later I’ve had both struts replaced with the need of replacing the shocks on the rear, bushings (both lower-front) upper radiator hose, front exhaust gusset, drive belts and two tires.