2005 Nissan Murano SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:
Never another Nissan
By imeccentric on 08/16/13 09:55 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Not a well built vehicle. Safety issues that are well known and common with this vehicle. Electric door locks do not work (wouldn't open if in an accident and you had a child by one of those doors). Sun visors won't stay up and keep falling down. That is another safety issue that is well documented. They are also well know for cheap paint that peels after a few years (we have had to have our hood repainted and it sets in a garage when not used). Most of the plastic shields that guard the fender wells, and parts underneath have fallen off or had to be tied up. 4 expensive sensors have had to be replaced. On the up side, we haven't had any drive train trouble as of yet.

What was I thinking?
By fancypants1 on 05/10/13 01:45 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I traded my lovely trouble free Honda Accord for this 2005 Murano SL with 82k miles. Was told the previous owner babied this vehicle. The leather is practically perfect so I was like ok. Week 1--the battery dies. I replaced a 2005 Nissan Factory battery in 2013!! With a J-05 code on it. Even after I replaced the battery the car wouldnt start. I tell the dealer I bought it from they cant look at it until monday. I finally get it started but I smell gas just briefly. I make it to dealer only to have the service guy tell me he cant look at it. grrr. I drive back and my gas level depletes pretty quickly. Glad I made it home. I ended up walking to work as I am now out of gas.

MuranoMisery
By muranomisery on 12/27/11 11:32 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased a used AS-IS 2005 Nissan Murano with 67,476 exact miles on the odometer from Landers McLarty Nissan in Huntsville Alabama August 17, 2011 with a verbal promise and guarantee that they do not re-sale any used vehicles that are not up to standard, dependable and trustworthy. Supposedly, all vehicles go through a thorough inspection process. My sales person, Eukrina’s exact words were “we do not put our name on anything that we won’t stand behind.”Two weeks after purchase I notice vibration and knocking noise from under the hood. Mechanical inspection from Madison Automotive on September 7, 2011 revealed that I had two motor mounts broken. (Front Engine Mount-part #11270CN101 and lower rear engine mount-part #11320CA110) Total repair estimate $847.12 I called the dealership to see if they were going to help with some of the repair cost and I was told that it must have been something that I did and that I should know that they had to replace the transmission in my trade in vehicle. Landers McLarty Nissan drove my 2000 Nissan Maxima before making me an offer and knew what the vehicle was worth and that should not have any bearing on the fact that this dealership sold me a lemon. Unable to afford replacement of both motor mounts at the same time, I had the front engine mount replaced on September 12, 2011 at a cost of $400.00, mileage aprox. 69,000. Firestone Complete Auto Care in Huntsville Alabama replaced the rear lower engine mount on October 15, 2011 at a cost of $402.15 exact mileage 70,486. At 72,469 exact miles the service engine light came on and after an engine diagnostic test with Firestone Complete Auto Care in Huntsville Alabama December 14, 2011 at a cost of $106.47 the result is a bad catalytic converter. I was advised that this could be a manufacture covered replacement issue. Landers McLarty Nissan of Huntsville performed their diagnostic test December 20, 2011 with the same results and I was told that yes it is a bad catalytic converter but that the vehicle passed the emission control test and that I must have used some bad gasoline. I informed the service person that I have only used Chevron regular grade gasoline since the purchase of the vehicle on August 17th 2011. I was told that there is nothing that they can do and suggested that I run premium gasoline in the vehicle to see if this clears the problem. I have relayed this information to a reputable mechanic and repair shop and I am told that is only a ploy to get me over the mileage whereas the manufactures warranty would not have to cover the repair/replacement of the $500.00 part. Now, an additional $1,005.73 later I’ve had both struts replaced with the need of replacing the shocks on the rear, bushings (both lower-front) upper radiator hose, front exhaust gusset, drive belts and two tires.

Pretty good little SUV for the $$$
By tychux on 07/11/11 16:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Bought it right off the boat from Japan sight unseen. Since day 1-Oct. 2005, we've had little to complain about. Sure, the drivers sunshade is faulty, but an inconspicuous bungee cord fixes that safety issue. Rear brakes lasted 50,000, front brakes are still great at 74,000 miles! Front lower control arms and engine mounts have all been replaced under extended warranty. 2 new batteries and 2 new sets of tires in 6 years due to Arizona heat. I drive 65 miles/day min. through farmland and county roads at up to 75mph and have no degredation in ride. Engine and CVT still runs good and smooth. Xenon lights, Sirius and Nav all without issues also.

Love/Hate Relationship
By Skeptical in GA on 09/10/08 18:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I loved the Murano when they came out and it was a clear choice when I downsized from my Chevy Tahoe. I wanted a smaller SUV but with a lot of interior space, especially in the back seat, and I loved the sporty style. I purchased an '05 the first week they came out. It rode very smooth and was quiet, had good pickup and much better gas mileage (21 mpg avg) compared to 14mpg in my Tahoe. Everything was great until this 4th year. My power seat has broken ($900), driver door lock is broken ($600), I need to replace my tires for the second time, and now my engine is making a knocking noise. I'm told it's probably the motor mounts (another $900). This car is getting expensive!

A GREAT Car...stylish and FUN!
By Kat Kramer on 04/29/08 07:37 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I had been in love with the Murano since it was first introduced, but was looking at the Lexus when I ran across this pre-owned one. It's my first Nissan (I've always had Hondas, Mazdas, & Toyotas), and I'm thoroughly impressed. With all the SUVs on the market, the Murano still stands out. My parents have the Lexus RX330, and the Murano actually is roomier. Even the back seats are comfortable for passengers, and Nissan included features I thought were frivolous and silly, like the "proximity key", that I've really come to rely on and love. Like buying an Apple computer...the company gave me more than I needed, and made the driving experience much more than I expected. I'm delighted.

Great Car
By MuranoGirl on 01/18/08 07:10 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

My husband and I both love this car. Best purchase we've ever made. I highly recommend. Rides like a luxury car with the convenience of a SUV. Overall great car.

Best SUV ever owned for Value
By FredMurano on 01/13/08 07:00 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have owned Acura, Lexus, Ford, and Infiniti cars and SUVs for the last 15 years and the Murano SL AWD has been the best price value of all of them. The Ford Escape was pitiful in terms of comfort and performance. The Murano was at the other end of the scale -- best value, comfort, performance and value. I wish I had purchased instead of leased it because it is still in perfort condition after 3 years. Had two bumper replacements which were very affordable (only $600 each) compared to fixing other cars. Am considering buying this SUV again.

Nissan Murano
By Faye on 12/29/07 03:45 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

The seats are very comfortable, We have the SL with key less entry which is great. Back Seats recline and there is a lot of leg room in the back. We have had several mechanical issues which never seem to be under warrenty. Really good pickup when starting

2005 Nissan Murano
By Lynn on 07/20/07 05:40 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

At first, I loved my Murano. No problems for months and months. To date, the car has not "broken down", but the engine is starting to concern me with odd noises and hesitations upon acceleration. The dealer finds no technical problems, so I am left to worry and baby the car. Also, the fuel economy is embarassing. Chevy Tahoe beats my 18 mpg by 6-7mpg. It is much bigger and it is just fine on 87 octane, where the Murano prefers 93. Whatever happened to Japanese dominance in that dept?