2005 Nissan Murano SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:
Never another Nissan
By imeccentric on 08/16/13 09:55 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Not a well built vehicle. Safety issues that are well known and common with this vehicle. Electric door locks do not work (wouldn't open if in an accident and you had a child by one of those doors). Sun visors won't stay up and keep falling down. That is another safety issue that is well documented. They are also well know for cheap paint that peels after a few years (we have had to have our hood repainted and it sets in a garage when not used). Most of the plastic shields that guard the fender wells, and parts underneath have fallen off or had to be tied up. 4 expensive sensors have had to be replaced. On the up side, we haven't had any drive train trouble as of yet.

Integrity Of 2005 Nissan Murano is JUNK!!!
By mj312 on 07/18/13 19:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I bought our 2005 Murano new July 2005 and have had nothing but problems. The drivers visor drop into your face, the driver’s seat is twisted when it goes up or down, the phone charger in the dash has been repaired 4 times to recall and still falls out of the dash, upholstery on the inside of the driver’s seat at the site of stitching split and has continued to tear and pull away from the fabric leaving a tear in my leather seat! The interior integrity of the vehicle is very BAD! We have replaced 2 alternators and two batteries between 11/2/2012 and 7/9/2013.

What was I thinking?
By fancypants1 on 05/10/13 01:45 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I traded my lovely trouble free Honda Accord for this 2005 Murano SL with 82k miles. Was told the previous owner babied this vehicle. The leather is practically perfect so I was like ok. Week 1--the battery dies. I replaced a 2005 Nissan Factory battery in 2013!! With a J-05 code on it. Even after I replaced the battery the car wouldnt start. I tell the dealer I bought it from they cant look at it until monday. I finally get it started but I smell gas just briefly. I make it to dealer only to have the service guy tell me he cant look at it. grrr. I drive back and my gas level depletes pretty quickly. Glad I made it home. I ended up walking to work as I am now out of gas.

Murano Migraine
By traines1 on 06/20/12 20:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased this car in 2008 for 17 grand. In the four years that Iv'e had it, the car has cost me over 11 grand in repairs. Most recently it had Catastrophic Transmission Failure, among many other things that now need repair. It only has 81505 miles on it. Nissan is refusing to cover the Transmission under the Warranty as well. They want 4 grand to fix the Transmission and another 2,500 for other repairs, such as, Camshaft sensors,drive belts,head gasket,Transfer case.. This car has caused me huge financial and emotional pain. I would not recommend buying one. I will never purchase a nissan again.

This car is not worth the money.
By kdutcher05 on 03/20/12 21:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Murano SUV S Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have had this car for 6 years and would get rid of it today if I could afford to. I have had so many strange problems with this vehicle and have been shocked to go on line and see that thousands of people have had the exact same things go wrong and still Nissan wants to blame it on wear and tear! I am not a youngster and have owned many cars in my lifetime. This, by far, is the worst one of all. It has been the most expensive and most problematic vehicle I have had the bad luck to purchase. The worst part of it is that Nissan will not acknowledge these problems exist in ALL of the Muranos. It won't be immediately evident, give it a year or two and then it starts. Look at the real reviews!!

MuranoMisery
By muranomisery on 12/27/11 11:32 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased a used AS-IS 2005 Nissan Murano with 67,476 exact miles on the odometer from Landers McLarty Nissan in Huntsville Alabama August 17, 2011 with a verbal promise and guarantee that they do not re-sale any used vehicles that are not up to standard, dependable and trustworthy. Supposedly, all vehicles go through a thorough inspection process. My sales person, Eukrina’s exact words were “we do not put our name on anything that we won’t stand behind.”Two weeks after purchase I notice vibration and knocking noise from under the hood. Mechanical inspection from Madison Automotive on September 7, 2011 revealed that I had two motor mounts broken. (Front Engine Mount-part #11270CN101 and lower rear engine mount-part #11320CA110) Total repair estimate $847.12 I called the dealership to see if they were going to help with some of the repair cost and I was told that it must have been something that I did and that I should know that they had to replace the transmission in my trade in vehicle. Landers McLarty Nissan drove my 2000 Nissan Maxima before making me an offer and knew what the vehicle was worth and that should not have any bearing on the fact that this dealership sold me a lemon. Unable to afford replacement of both motor mounts at the same time, I had the front engine mount replaced on September 12, 2011 at a cost of $400.00, mileage aprox. 69,000. Firestone Complete Auto Care in Huntsville Alabama replaced the rear lower engine mount on October 15, 2011 at a cost of $402.15 exact mileage 70,486. At 72,469 exact miles the service engine light came on and after an engine diagnostic test with Firestone Complete Auto Care in Huntsville Alabama December 14, 2011 at a cost of $106.47 the result is a bad catalytic converter. I was advised that this could be a manufacture covered replacement issue. Landers McLarty Nissan of Huntsville performed their diagnostic test December 20, 2011 with the same results and I was told that yes it is a bad catalytic converter but that the vehicle passed the emission control test and that I must have used some bad gasoline. I informed the service person that I have only used Chevron regular grade gasoline since the purchase of the vehicle on August 17th 2011. I was told that there is nothing that they can do and suggested that I run premium gasoline in the vehicle to see if this clears the problem. I have relayed this information to a reputable mechanic and repair shop and I am told that is only a ploy to get me over the mileage whereas the manufactures warranty would not have to cover the repair/replacement of the $500.00 part. Now, an additional $1,005.73 later I’ve had both struts replaced with the need of replacing the shocks on the rear, bushings (both lower-front) upper radiator hose, front exhaust gusset, drive belts and two tires.

Time bomb after 36K miles warranty expired
By ddobluis on 10/09/11 21:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This is my second Nissan. First one was a 98 Pathfinder that had 210,000 miles. That was very reliable and no major issues. This one had power steering fluid hose leak at 45K miles ($400). At 60K, an electronic board limited my power to almost none. When I pressed on gas, the car would go very slow. ($450). Battery drained too fast and on my 4th. ($90 a pop) Visor would just fall on its own ($400 bucks for a visor at the dealer??? come on). Two leaks, one from engine oil, one from transmission. ($850). Engine oxygen sensor failed (($450). Now, my drive train feels very rough and certainly doesn't feel as smooth as before). I'm scared to go to the dealer and see what they find.

It's a great car
By ehales on 08/28/11 21:32 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I got my 2005 Murano brand new and now it has 117K on it. Believe or not it still runs like the first day! I take care of it and do not miss any due service or oil change. Recently passenger door lock/unlock stopped working. Rear pass door has the same problem but not all the time! other than that everything is great. It's supposed to get 18 city-24 highway but on country road I get 26-27 and in city hardly 18. I highly recommend this car to all buyers who are looking for a comfortable, good looking reliable car. I would definitely go for new one.

Pretty good little SUV for the $$$
By tychux on 07/11/11 16:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Bought it right off the boat from Japan sight unseen. Since day 1-Oct. 2005, we've had little to complain about. Sure, the drivers sunshade is faulty, but an inconspicuous bungee cord fixes that safety issue. Rear brakes lasted 50,000, front brakes are still great at 74,000 miles! Front lower control arms and engine mounts have all been replaced under extended warranty. 2 new batteries and 2 new sets of tires in 6 years due to Arizona heat. I drive 65 miles/day min. through farmland and county roads at up to 75mph and have no degredation in ride. Engine and CVT still runs good and smooth. Xenon lights, Sirius and Nav all without issues also.

Love it but now getting worried
By grvqn on 05/04/11 17:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Now hitting my 6th year with 60K and here are my problems, my sun visor on the driver side is broken, CD player doesn’t play CD’s anymore, back windows don’t roll up (when I don’t really use them, but the time I do now I have a problem). My driver side door I’m now having problems of it locking and unlocking. Now I have to double check my door before walking away… What else can go wrong.