Used 2005 Nissan Murano SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Murano - Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Murano SUV

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

engine and transmission problems?
By dudej

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

My 2005 SE AWD used oil. Fortunately my 2005 Murano was under warranty for the engine replacement ( using oil with no visible burn or leak) at 80,000 miles and for the transmission replacement at 128,000 miles. Engine mount replacements, driver seat motor, and CV joint! I bought the Silver warranty at the dealership and then extended it as long as I could (140,000). Thank God!

Worst Car Ever
By som2

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

My car from the time of purchase has only been service by nissan dealership. I have replaced everything from belts to last a motor. Now they are telling me that it's the catalytic converter. Nissan should be ashamed of themselves for passing this pretty body off as car.

Great SUV
By majr

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

My father owns this car and he has spent less than a thousand repairing it when it comes to labor plus parts. That's because my father is a mechanic so he's smarter than the average driver. He knows he should do things like warm up the car everytime you expect to drive it and especially in the winter. He also knows that he should slow down when he sees a pothole so he goes over it slowly or avoids it completely so he doesn't damage his car. He also knows that he should be nice to the people that work at auto shops so that way he can get a discount on parts. The only reason not to get this car is if you prefer a car with more tech features and a car that doesn't consume a lot of gas.

I wouldn't let my enemies drive a Murano
By glastonbury

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I don't work for any competitor of Nissan. I did own a Infinity that was a great car. The Nissan Murano is the worst vehicle in terms of reliability I have owned ever (I have owned quite a few). Over 17k in repairs over 9 years (3 to 4 times what I would spend on either the infinity or Hondas I have owned - yes, I adjusted for inflation). Do not buy a Murano or you will be very sorry.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Drive it off a cliff

Best vehicle i've ever had.
By tychux72

2005 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have owned my '05 SL 2WD since it arrived off the boat October 2005. It currently has 132,000 miles. I have NEVER kept a vehicle over 75,000 miles before. I drive 65 miles R/T 4-5 days a week through the Arizona desert and farmlands at 45-70 MPH, mostly using cruise control. In the summer I average 21.5 mpg or around 420 mpt. In the fall-spring without A/C I average 23.6 or 475 mpt. The most was a confirmed 525 mpt one winter. My local dealership has done all recall work as well as routine maintenance. All in all, it has been a great family ride and has never left us stranded. Unlike many Ford or Chryslers I have owned. Sure it has its known problems and this one is no different.

Favorite Features

The style grew on me. CVT is smooth. I like the drivers position, reclining rear seat for the kids and there is plenty of room for gear in the back. Our Mo came from the factory with HID headlights, heated leather seats, moonroof, navi, Sirius, rear roof mounted entertainment with headphones and remote, backup camera and a solid BOSE sound system. I think it was called a "Versant" package. I have spent little on maintenance. My hoses and belts are changed every 50,000 miles. My battery only lasts 2-3 years on the AZ desert heat. My front brakes lasted 60,000 miles and replaced again at 110, 000 miles. Rear brakes and shocks were shot at 75,000 miles.

Suggested Improvements

Yes I have had issues with the visors falling into our view- nothing a 25 cent mini bungee cord couldn't fix. Yes I had the black painted trim fade out-nothing $100 at the body shop couldn't fix. Yes I had the driver seat "break" while driving-nothing a $50 bill and a tack-weld couldn't fix. Yes I had the throttle body intake come loose under acceleration one day-yes that was scary, but I reconnected, retightened and drove away. That issue was resolved during a visit to the dealer later that week who fixed it before the recall went public. I do wish that Nissan would acknowledge the issue with the visors and seat. $200+ for replacement visors and $1000+ for a new seat is extreme.