2005 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews

2005 Nissan Murano - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:
engine and transmission problems?
By dudej on 01/22/15 12:30 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

My 2005 SE AWD used oil. Fortunately my 2005 Murano was under warranty for the engine replacement ( using oil with no visible burn or leak) at 80,000 miles and for the transmission replacement at 128,000 miles. Engine mount replacements, driver seat motor, and CV joint! I bought the Silver warranty at the dealership and then extended it as long as I could (140,000). Thank God!

Worst Car Ever
By som2 on 01/13/15 17:07 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

My car from the time of purchase has only been service by nissan dealership. I have replaced everything from belts to last a motor. Now they are telling me that it's the catalytic converter. Nissan should be ashamed of themselves for passing this pretty body off as car.

Great SUV
By majr on 12/24/14 22:53 PM (PST)

2005 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

My father owns this car and he has spent less than a thousand repairing it when it comes to labor plus parts. That's because my father is a mechanic so he's smarter than the average driver. He knows he should do things like warm up the car everytime you expect to drive it and especially in the winter. He also knows that he should slow down when he sees a pothole so he goes over it slowly or avoids it completely so he doesn't damage his car. He also knows that he should be nice to the people that work at auto shops so that way he can get a discount on parts. The only reason not to get this car is if you prefer a car with more tech features and a car that doesn't consume a lot of gas.

I wouldn't let my enemies drive a Murano
By glastonbury on 12/13/14 09:45 AM (PST)

2005 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I don't work for any competitor of Nissan. I did own a Infinity that was a great car. The Nissan Murano is the worst vehicle in terms of reliability I have owned ever (I have owned quite a few). Over 17k in repairs over 9 years (3 to 4 times what I would spend on either the infinity or Hondas I have owned - yes, I adjusted for inflation). Do not buy a Murano or you will be very sorry.

Best vehicle i've ever had.
By tychux72 on 10/26/14 10:21 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have owned my '05 SL 2WD since it arrived off the boat October 2005. It currently has 132,000 miles. I have NEVER kept a vehicle over 75,000 miles before. I drive 65 miles R/T 4-5 days a week through the Arizona desert and farmlands at 45-70 MPH, mostly using cruise control. In the summer I average 21.5 mpg or around 420 mpt. In the fall-spring without A/C I average 23.6 or 475 mpt. The most was a confirmed 525 mpt one winter. My local dealership has done all recall work as well as routine maintenance. All in all, it has been a great family ride and has never left us stranded. Unlike many Ford or Chryslers I have owned. Sure it has its known problems and this one is no different.

Murano - proof positive the Japs can make crap too.
By glastonbury on 07/21/14 12:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I don't even know where to begin with my Murano, from the fuel dampeners, to the seals, to the intake manifold, to the throttle control plate. WTF, a dirty throttle control plate in a Murano will leave you dead and stranded. NEVER NEVER NEVER would a honda have these problems. CONSUMER REPORTS I am convinced has been rigged and bribed for recommending the MURANO, the biggest repair headache of all time.

Never another Nissan
By imeccentric on 08/16/13 09:55 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Not a well built vehicle. Safety issues that are well known and common with this vehicle. Electric door locks do not work (wouldn't open if in an accident and you had a child by one of those doors). Sun visors won't stay up and keep falling down. That is another safety issue that is well documented. They are also well know for cheap paint that peels after a few years (we have had to have our hood repainted and it sets in a garage when not used). Most of the plastic shields that guard the fender wells, and parts underneath have fallen off or had to be tied up. 4 expensive sensors have had to be replaced. On the up side, we haven't had any drive train trouble as of yet.

Integrity Of 2005 Nissan Murano is JUNK!!!
By mj312 on 07/18/13 19:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I bought our 2005 Murano new July 2005 and have had nothing but problems. The drivers visor drop into your face, the driver’s seat is twisted when it goes up or down, the phone charger in the dash has been repaired 4 times to recall and still falls out of the dash, upholstery on the inside of the driver’s seat at the site of stitching split and has continued to tear and pull away from the fabric leaving a tear in my leather seat! The interior integrity of the vehicle is very BAD! We have replaced 2 alternators and two batteries between 11/2/2012 and 7/9/2013.

What was I thinking?
By fancypants1 on 05/10/13 01:45 AM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I traded my lovely trouble free Honda Accord for this 2005 Murano SL with 82k miles. Was told the previous owner babied this vehicle. The leather is practically perfect so I was like ok. Week 1--the battery dies. I replaced a 2005 Nissan Factory battery in 2013!! With a J-05 code on it. Even after I replaced the battery the car wouldnt start. I tell the dealer I bought it from they cant look at it until monday. I finally get it started but I smell gas just briefly. I make it to dealer only to have the service guy tell me he cant look at it. grrr. I drive back and my gas level depletes pretty quickly. Glad I made it home. I ended up walking to work as I am now out of gas.

Murano Migraine
By traines1 on 06/20/12 20:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased this car in 2008 for 17 grand. In the four years that Iv'e had it, the car has cost me over 11 grand in repairs. Most recently it had Catastrophic Transmission Failure, among many other things that now need repair. It only has 81505 miles on it. Nissan is refusing to cover the Transmission under the Warranty as well. They want 4 grand to fix the Transmission and another 2,500 for other repairs, such as, Camshaft sensors,drive belts,head gasket,Transfer case.. This car has caused me huge financial and emotional pain. I would not recommend buying one. I will never purchase a nissan again.