Avoid High Mileage Used Murano's
By moneypitowner on
2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)
Love the design and functionality of the Murano. Had Nissan and Infinity before and very reliable and economical to maintain. I put 200K on my earlier Nissans and they ran great. Not the case with Murano. I bought the Murano with 80K on it. Owner babied it and Murano maintained by dealer, all receipts. At 115K. CVT went bad. $4500 repair. Head gasket bad at 121k. Another $4500 repair. Numerous reports of transfer case failures as well as exhaust system repairs. Very expensive repairs. Recent problems with head gaskets on newer models also reported. Get extended warranties if you keep the car past dealer warranty period. Don't buy a first generation used Murano.
Favorite Features
AWD, Styling, interior functionality with easy fold down rear seats. Bose sound system awesome, until it failed. Another big repair bill!
Suggested Improvements
Reliability poor. Cost of repairs to engine and transmission are out of sight since you must drop the engine, transmission as an assembly from underneath the vehicle. Just about every part in the engine compartment, except the air conditioner compressor, must be removed from the car. Nissan lowered the price of the CVT to about $2250, but the labor is very expensive due to the car design. Nissan dealer was very poor and misdiagnosed problems. Nissan America customer support was also terrible. I would never buy a Nissan again unless I could afford a new one and to replace it before it was out of dealer warranty.