Used 2004 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews - 446 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Murano - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

Do Not Buy Nissan
By Semirhage

2004 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

At 59,151 my transmission went out. The Murano has a very expensive CVT transmission and I was told the repair would cost over $6,000. The transmission should have been covered under the powertrain warranty (60 months, 60k miles) -but I was apparently 1 month past the 60 month mark. Nissan jerked me around for 2 weeks pretending they might honor the warranty (while I racked up rental car bills) but in the end they made it quite clear they did not care about me or the vehicle they built. After reading about other problems with the CVT, I think a recall is in order, but Nissan doesn't care.

Recall the CVT transmission

Decent car until things start breaking
By Joe

2004 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We've owned our Murano for 6 years now and have had quite a few problems. The alternator failed at about 20k, one of the speakers has cut out randomly since about 40k, and I have gone through many sets of tires since I bought the car. I now have 100k on this vehicle and it has been in the shop more times then I would have liked. Fuel economy is unimpressive at 17-18 city and low 20s on the highway. I recently had the timing belt and front wheel bearings replaced. Noticed a burning smell inside and Nissan dealer said everything's fine. Probably won't be buying another car from Nissan.

Exterior and interior are both pleasing to look at. The Bose 6-CD changer is nice. Comfortable and roomy. Xenon headlights are very useful. CVT is pretty nice as well.

Better reliability and fuel economy. Sun visors that stay up would be nice as well.

Burning oil after 96K
By Tina Delgado

2004 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

After religious oil changes, my beloved Murano has begun to burn oil, 7qts per 3000 miles. Needs new engine, it seems. Very disappointed in the longevity of this car. Would not buy another.

Was great to drive, park, and road trip in. While it drove.

04 Murrano issues
By Mo2004

2004 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have over 100,000 miles and really enjoyed driving the Murano until the little issues that have occurred over the time of driving. The alternator replaced (free do to recall). The driver side sun visor does not stay in place which a number of owners have wrote about. The cost to repair is about $350 for just the sun visor. The lock on the fuel tank stop functioning, the motor to adjust the seats on the driver side stop functioning. The front and right side motor mounts went bad ($1000 to repair). The motor mount issue is apparently with all Nissan vehicles. The vehicle is a great looking design, CVT engine is nice feel, and overall a good design.

Looks, nice size, good center of gravity for an SUV which makes it not rollover, good acceleration

I would have Nissan work on the quality of issues with the parts.

great murano
By grantj

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I love the car. I had a few problems with it at first. The CD changer (single cd) was changed 3x before it would stop eating cd's. The steering controls stopped working and a fuel injector went out after 1 month. Not major since the car had 55k miles when purchased. Some controls feel cheap. The gas tank door would not unlock, door locks sometimes stick. I haven't had any problems in the last 10 months. very pleased, not so pleased with the customer service at the dealership but it's getting better. They do not take care of the car, several scratches on the dash and radio due to their carelessness during service.

Moonroof, power, cvt transmission, size, handling, styling, sound, driving excitement, roomy interior, towing capacity, fuel mileage, back seat recliner, tons of room, best car ever to travel.

it drives me nuts the doors do not lock automatically when put in gear, it took me a while to adjust to the seats, they weren't very comfortable. add daytime running lights, who wouldn't want more power?