Used 2004 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Murano - Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Murano

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

Burning oil after 96K
By Tina Delgado

2004 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

After religious oil changes, my beloved Murano has begun to burn oil, 7qts per 3000 miles. Needs new engine, it seems. Very disappointed in the longevity of this car. Would not buy another.

Favorite Features

Was great to drive, park, and road trip in. While it drove.

04 Murrano issues
By Mo2004

2004 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have over 100,000 miles and really enjoyed driving the Murano until the little issues that have occurred over the time of driving. The alternator replaced (free do to recall). The driver side sun visor does not stay in place which a number of owners have wrote about. The cost to repair is about $350 for just the sun visor. The lock on the fuel tank stop functioning, the motor to adjust the seats on the driver side stop functioning. The front and right side motor mounts went bad ($1000 to repair). The motor mount issue is apparently with all Nissan vehicles. The vehicle is a great looking design, CVT engine is nice feel, and overall a good design.

Favorite Features

Looks, nice size, good center of gravity for an SUV which makes it not rollover, good acceleration

Suggested Improvements

I would have Nissan work on the quality of issues with the parts.

great murano
By grantj

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I love the car. I had a few problems with it at first. The CD changer (single cd) was changed 3x before it would stop eating cd's. The steering controls stopped working and a fuel injector went out after 1 month. Not major since the car had 55k miles when purchased. Some controls feel cheap. The gas tank door would not unlock, door locks sometimes stick. I haven't had any problems in the last 10 months. very pleased, not so pleased with the customer service at the dealership but it's getting better. They do not take care of the car, several scratches on the dash and radio due to their carelessness during service.

Favorite Features

Moonroof, power, cvt transmission, size, handling, styling, sound, driving excitement, roomy interior, towing capacity, fuel mileage, back seat recliner, tons of room, best car ever to travel.

Suggested Improvements

it drives me nuts the doors do not lock automatically when put in gear, it took me a while to adjust to the seats, they weren't very comfortable. add daytime running lights, who wouldn't want more power?

Never again
By Needs Help

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have only had my Murano for a year and a half since buying it as a used vehicle. I have already had to replace the controlling arms, tie-rods, and muffler. Now I have found out that there is an engine problem and will require around $3000 to $4000 to fix. I am highly disappointed and will not purchase another Murano. There should not be this many problems with a car before you hit 100,000 miles.

Favorite Features

AWD is very nice, car handles very well and the sound system is great.

Suggested Improvements

Mechanical improvements. Visibility out back of vehicle when using mirrors

ANOTHER new tranny needed
By palmtreezz

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Bought the Nissan used, only 2 years old and 32,000 miles on it, transmission went out 2 days later. Now just over 2 years on that tranny and it's out. Nissan wants $5500 for a rebuilt transmission. The other 40+ cars in my close family are all American, so they are having fun with the "I told you so's". After a year of chemo and radiation it's the last thing I needed, can't afford to fix it so it sits on a trailer while I continue to get rides to work and make a payment on it.

Favorite Features

back seats are roomy and seat lays back. Can drive with sunroof open.

Suggested Improvements

Very touchy steering, air conditioner takes too long to cool off car.