2004 Nissan Murano SL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Murano - Consumer Reviews

2004 Murano Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

Sort Reviews by

Underestimated the Murano
By DaCh26

2004 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Initially when the Murano came out, I didn't think much of it, I thought it looked like a spaceship. Then I started to shop around for an SUV, wanted to stay below $40k. My choices were down to Pilot and Murano after test driving these vehicles. I liked the Murano and Nissan was mroe flexible with the pricing then Honda. Honda weren't budging with the price on the Pilot, and plus I don't have a family, so I have no need for the third row seat. I love the Murano SE AWD, esp the 18 inch wheels & the bright HID lights

Favorite Features

Power, Handling, 18inch wheels, HID Headlights, Adjustable rear seats, Spacious interior.

Suggested Improvements

premium to regular gas, sunglass holder, more compartments, rear coffee cup holder should be higher, Cargo cover should be standard, instead of it being a $465 option

A Very Satisfied Owner
By Robert Scholtens

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This vehicle is the most comfortable and satisfying to drive of any of my recent cars, which included a 2002 BMW 330Ci, a 2002 Honda Odyssy and a 2000 Acura TL. Perhaps it suits me because although my bones are old I still enjoy a good drive.

Favorite Features

The driving position and outlook are topnotch, and the engine, suspension and transmission combine into an exceptionally smooth propulsion system.

Suggested Improvements

The lock lever for the driver's door is so close to the handle that I am often unintentionally locked out. Also, although I like it's appearance, the grill seems to give the car a silly grin.

Silver Slammer
By Movin' Along

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Our first Nissan (silver/black leather) Looked at all other SUV and crossover vehicles, dollar for dollar the Murano can't be beat. If your looking for style(head turner), performance( quick and smooth), and quality(solid), this one is for you.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling; interior comfort; fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

directional signals for the side mirrors;

03Murano
By sub1

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

So far, so good, no problems but a manual transmission sure would be fun. A different slant on the SUV.

Favorite Features

Handling

Suggested Improvements

Manual transmission

A Very Good Buy
By Joejoey

2004 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have had a great 2 weeks of owning this black Murano loaded with all the toys....had a 2003 Maxima, sold it to buy what I call the Maxima 4x4 great ride very quite, great performance,spend the extra for the SE...handles much better than the SL...do what I did test drive both then decide for yourself...I have owned 4 Nisans..all have been trouble free..

Favorite Features

The leather seats heated,The Bose sound system is killer.

Suggested Improvements

Should have given it the true 265 hp same as the Maxima...maybe someday

best in the market murano
By murano number1

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

the cleanes.coolest AWD out there.much better than a lexus rx330.

Eye Pleasing Murano
By FRID7

2004 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

The Murano is a beautifully designed vehicle, inside and out. I get compliments on the design and color very often. After owning a Grand Cherokee with some disappointments, I am truly impressed with the Murano's handling, comfort and style. I'm very happy I purchased the SE model and am equally happy I didn't get suckered for the expensive options. I got a great crossover vehicle for a great value.

Favorite Features

The exterior style has to be my most favorite feature. The CVT Transmission is powerful, quiet and smooth and I love that the rear seats recline a bit.

Suggested Improvements

Roof Racks should be offered as an individual option and not part of a whole package of options.

Murano counterpoint
By muranodriver

2004 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

First off, about the 'sluggish, power- sapping CVT'.It isn't.This SUV is very lively.Put your foot down and the RPMs go to peak power,and stay there as the CVT constantly adjusts ratio to maximize acceleration. Motor Trend says "The Murano consistently took 0-60 mph and 1/4 mi acceleration honors." Believe it. There is more road noise than I would like, but otherwise driving dynamics are great.Interior space is fantastic, materials are pleasant to look at and touch.The large dash expanse (a result of the windshield rake) screams 'mini-van!',but otherwise the cockpit is great.I have the base model, and it includes everything I want.

Favorite Features

Syling(except the garish grille). Safety features Mileage:19 - 21 MPG mostly city driving. Design focus: My Murano is never going offroad, so, I'm happy not to be paying for a lot of crap I'll never use. Comfy rear seats with easy entry/exit. Room for my 75 Lb Retriever.

Suggested Improvements

SAT radio:1st they say itís SAT ready.Then they say itís not.After owners prove them wrong by installing Infinity hardware (plug and play), Nissan tries to restrict hardware to Infinity owners only. Tone down the chrome grille.What happened to the pre-production platinum finish?

Love it so far
By austegard

2004 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Just bought it, so the Reliability score is meaningless. It's fun to drive though, and doesn't feel like an SUV. The SE's 6 speed "manual" shift option gives you more control of performance in that you can use the shifter rather than the gas pedal to control the RPM. The gas mileage is great for an SUV, but the rated 20 city will be hard to achieve - with spirited driving you'll easily fall as low as 16-17.

Favorite Features

Engine, handling, rear seat recline, bose stereo, heated seats

Suggested Improvements

Lower "1st" gear, cheaper nav, heads up display, more sophisticated suspension (less bumpy, same roll resistance)

Exquisite, Smooth, Powerful Ride
By huntersky9

2004 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I've put over 10K miles on my new SL Murano, and without a doubt it performs flawlessly whether in the city, suburbs, or open interstate. It is nibble and responsive. The fields of vision are impressive for a SUV and it is a vehicle fun to drive. I have a new 911 Porsche Carrara and driving the Murano gives more delight than the Porsche. Go figure!

Favorite Features

Its stylish. Great acceleration. Extremely comfortable. Good gas mileage. Smooth, quiet ride. Wonderful sound system (Bose)

Suggested Improvements

None!