Used 2004 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Murano - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:
Won't Buy Another Nissan
By Kelly on 08/14/09 13:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This was my first brand new car. Bought Nissan because of reliability. Have been sorely disappointed in quality of car. Have had to replace both front door locks (quit unlocking) windshield (mirror came off with a chunk of windshield with it) Bose 6-CD player quit after 2 years. Now some of the display on radio doesn't work. Driver's side visor falls down 20 times a day & is now velcroed to the headliner. Lost one of the black inner fenders somewhere.One of the little trays in console no longer opens. Driver's seat rocks & moves when you start & stop. Local dealer "has never heard of any of these problems before with a Murano". I'm trading it off ASAP.

Do Not Waste Your Money!
By Dissappointed on 07/27/09 12:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I bought a 2004 Nissan Murano back in 2006, since then I have had a list of problems and issues with it. I dropped the transfer case at 62,000 miles... Since my warranty ended at 60,000 I had to fight to get the dealer to pay for it, or it would have been a $6400 fix... Also, the Murano eats Wheel Barrings! At least once a year I am replacing the barrings.. If that wasn't enough to deter you, try mysterious rattles in the dash and door, Hatch handle works when it wants to and gas mileage is not great. The Murano is a very "pretty" cross over SUV, but the mechanical issues far out-weigh the positives on this one. Do not waste your money buying one or your time repairing it.

Don't buy a 2004 Murano
By ihatenissan on 07/15/09 19:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

At 72,000 miles the transfer case cracked, a $4,100 repair. I agree with user nutmeg a vehicle this expensive should not have a $4,100 repair before $100,000 miles. Nissan customer service is terrible, very condescending and useless. I WILL NEVER BUY NISSAN AGAIN! This is the second lemon from Nissan I have purchased, I'm done. Nissan even issued a technical service bulletin regarding how to fix the transfer case and it is w/ 2005 specifications. They should have issued a recall. Nissan is in the business of selling cars but not building customer relationships. This will eventually catch up with them. Repeat customers are what keeps companies in business.

04 Murano a disappointment
By JHicks on 03/21/09 12:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This was our 3rd and last Nissan. First 2 were awesome then came the Murano. Starting at 75k miles everything went sour. 2 sensors, 2 motor mounts, cat converter, power locks plus small things had to be replaced. I got no help from Nissan's customer service. Cat converter went 500 miles after warranty and got no help thru Nissan. After 4k+ in repairs, I finally dumped it and will never buy another Nissan. Buyer beware, do your research very carefully. I got rid of mine before the CVT failed, that would have been another $5k.

Sporty and Fun
By sw on 02/02/09 17:02 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Bought this car used and have had problems with the rear latch on a continuous basis. Actuator and latch were replaced and is still a problem. Had transmission problems that involved the gas peddle to stick which was covered under warranty at 60K. Gas mileage averages 19 MPG using high test and goes down if using reg. unleaded.

only nissans
By PEG on 09/10/08 10:20 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Knowing Nissans the way I do I expected better. The drive was great in the beginning aside for the alternator issue which almost caused me to have a serious accident. I am continuing to be surprised by the amount of mechanical problems I'm encountering; I'm starting to think it may be a lemon with a little sugar on top. I've gotten many compliments and inquiries about handling and various other topics.

Carol
By Carol Law on 05/01/08 11:28 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Easy and Fun to drive. Get alot of questions/comments from others wanting know, if it is as fun to drive as it looks. Like the futurist look. Like the exterior color (Pearl), interior color (Tan) and the way it still looks like new. Easily fits 4 large men. Comfortably seats 2 large/tall men/women in front and 3 average size adults in back. Back storage is large. Will hold several suitcases and all the shopping items you could purchase in a day, including groceries. Drives like a car. Interior performs like a much larger SUV. Would purchase another for sure!

Nissan, never again
By nutmeg1416 on 04/19/08 21:14 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I loved my Murano and had the ability to overlook a major headlight issue at 40,000 mi because of the drive and comfort. Now, at 85,000 mi I am facing AWD transfer case issues which are due to a control panel flaw. The transfer case is susceptible to cracking because of control panel. Nissan fixed the problem in 05 models and on, but will recognize that there is no issue with my car. I have been extremely disappointed with the way Nissan has treated me through this ordeal. Such an expensive car should NOT have $5000 in repairs before 100k miles, very disappointed in reliability.

Great car with comfort & style
By Ray on 01/16/08 09:05 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This has been 1 of the best vehicles I've owned over the past 20 yrs. Never had any major problems with it. Gas mileage is decent for the size (20 mpg) and I can fit 2 German Shepherds in the back without folding down the rear seats.

AWD w/nav bought Used
By darinr on 01/08/08 13:32 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I just bought this used Murano w/nav for the wife and love it! For an '04 it was in great shape. The nav is pretty cool (wish it was voice activated). Put on chrome wheels for the wife and it looks much better with them. I have had decent luck with Nissan so I hope that continues. Looked at the RX330 but for the money this was the best deal.