Used 2004 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Murano - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

Could be a Great Vehicle, if.....
By onei

2004 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

My wife and I wanted to get out of the minivan era. This Murano clearly stood out as the top contender for us. It handles very well in all conditions. Has good pickup including climbing hills. The seating is comfortable with the leather seats and touring package. We average about 10k per year and mileage has been acceptable with about 20-21 mpg avg. This car is an eye catcher when its all polished up. Trouble is we can't get more than 30K out of a set of tires. Bose cd is great if it works. Sun visors are a real problem, replaced 4 of them so far. Engine mount cracked. Has been costly to maintain. CVT has performed well but high in maintenance.

Body style, comfortable seating, handling is good, touring package allows for adjustments to brake/gas pedals to keep the driver comfortable on long trips. Good leg room in rear. Wife loves it.

Separate the radio/cd player from the HVAC instruments. Fix the sun visor problem, expect some drivers to actually use these. Add features to reduce customer maintenance costs. Add better rear air flow. Expensive replacement parts, hard to find after market parts. Still wife loves it. Go figure.

best car!
By Amber

2004 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have had an excellent experience with this car. I bought it brand new off the lot and ran like a dream for 6 years. I plan to trade it in and buy another brand new one!

comfort, leather seats

none

2004 NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS
By MIKEO

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I bought this car used last year with relatively low miles for an 04, 42K. Problems: gas cap won't open - I finally just broke off the piece that locks the cover. Window rattles when down and radios is on with bass. Half of the stereo channels go out when you hit a bump and are playing a CD. Can't push defrost button in cold weather, only option is floor & defrost. Rear caliper went bad, ruined rotor, brake job and rotor and caliper with a warranty still cost $500. Now it's in the garage for problems with the front end when turning. Also have rear latch that works sometimes sticks most times. Very, very disappointed with the quality. Friends all said get the Nissan, should NOT have.

It is fun to drive and very comfortable.

Overall quality of the small things. I spend a lot of time in my car and things like the CD channels not working, defrost not working in cold weather, window rattling with bass on, and the rear hatch handle sticking and gas cap lock sticking all negate the fun of driving the car.

Looks good but major build quality issus
By J

2004 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Test drove the Highlander and Pilot and Murano, and we fell in love with the Murano. It was the best deal for all the features we wanted. It handled well and we loved the look - a prototype for other crossover SUVs to follow/copy. Unfortunately, car has had some major issues. Front control arms/transverse links went bad- $1000, the driver visor has been replaced and went bad again (design defect)- $350, front motor mount - $500, AC stinks- blows smelly socks air due to poor condensation drainage design, oil cooler seal, premium fuel.

Sporty look, wide roomy seating, soft cloth seats, cvt transmission, performance, standard options

Build quality issues mentioned above- window visor, ac, motor mount, better control arm bushings.

Love my Murano
By Love this SUV

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I bought my Murano new in 2004. I have had zero problems with it after 93,000 miles. All service was done at my local dealership, and their service has been excellent, but perhaps a little pricey. I drive mostly highway and consistently get 22.5 to 23 miles per gallon, which was as advertised. I comfortably fit 4 men and 4 sets of hockey equipment in it. Recently, Nissan extended the warranty on the drivetrain, to 10 years 100,000 miles (transferable). There were two or three recalls which I did not experience personally but were performed on the car.

Roomy interior, even in back, large windows and good siteline, smooth engine and transmission, very roomy cargo area especially when back seats are folded flat. Bose radio sounds great.

Interior was not real nice on this version, vastly improved in 2005 or 06. If it somehow could get 30 mpg without sacrificing too much size or comfort it would be an awesome vehicle!