Used 2004 Nissan Murano SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Murano SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

I love my 2004 Nissan Murano.. so far.. lol
By tish86

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I just got my 2004 Nissan Murano at a cheap price with high miles a little over 140k but have been told for years since I was a teenager that Nissans are good cars and last for a long time. I never realized though that it would be so costly.. but its worth it. I get looks whenever I drive my truck and love it. I do need to replace the tires and its a bummer that I have to replace all four instead of just the usual one that I am used to. The best deal that I came across was from Walmart for $550.00 for all four. It drives smooth so far and no problems so far.. will keep posted. Of course a suv is gonna be more costly to keep up then a car but I have three kids so I need a suv

I love how when I put the key in the seat moves up to accomodiate me and then when I take the key out it moves back.. I was like wow... this is so cool.. I love the black leahter seats and the sun roof which is just awesome. Then the bose stereo system. I really chose this vehicle because I have three children and my two sons play football and they are big and tall so its quite roomy in the back for them.

The sun shield does keep popping down on my side which is becoming pretty annoying and I need to get it tightened.. thats really about it for now... and I pray that nothing major happens... other than that I am pretty happy with it.

Designed for short term fun, BEWARE of Maintenance cost
By rayman3000

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I will be brief. This vehicle is fun to drive no doubt. Once you get in for a test drive, you will buy this vehicle cos its so much fun to drive. The bad news is the cost of maintenance. You will spend a lot of time repairing this vehicle. Once it leaves the repair shop, do not ride this vehicle unless you are trying to know if the problems has been repaired or you are taking a new buyer on a test drive. Fail to heed my warning and you will fall in love with this vehicle again. Its like a woman you love, but you can't stand her naughty behavior. Buyers be warned. Stay away from her unless you have deep pockets. issues i have suffered: Wheel bearings (front right and back left), diffe

The internal structure is rigid and durable. The booz surround is magnificient and once you have heared music from those beauties, you will hate to lose those feelings

So many things. They need to work on the underneath structure of the vehicle. By this I mean, that they should use parts durable for this vehicle. Some of the problems include rotors, caliper, wheel bearings, front differentials, air conditioner, broken seat mounts, broken engine mounts and the list goes on.

I would highly recommend!!
By ljones263

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Exterior design is awesome! Interior is holding up very well. Vehicle has been very dependable for over 5 years. I love my Murano even after over 140,000 miles. Vehicle has not been perfect, but all things considered, thumbs up! Murano's are notorious for having front suspension issues, wheel bearings, etc... After 8 years, expect it, it's not too bad. Other minor issues, cable for tail gate had to be replaced. Shocks had to be replaced. That's about it :)

Exterior design is awesome! Interior is great! I still get complements!

Improve from the suspension, that's about it.

How do I hate thee, let me count the ways.
By 6twentysix

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I was super excited about this pre-owned car, I bought it around 50K and I bought the extended warranty. HOLY CRAP, I'm glad I did. Here is a list of things that were fixed. Catastrophic Failures (covered by Warranty) Drive box - wouldn't go in reverse (Out 2 weeks) Transmission was rebuilt when the chain kept leaking which I guess is a common problem. (Out 1 week) Minor but extremely annoying: Door Actuator on the Drivers handle Windshield Wipers (twice fixed) CV Joint passenger side Struts after only 60K And a bunch of other crap I can't remember... Nissan fixed things, but as soon as the warranty ended, I sold this bad car. Now it's another Nissan dealerships problem.

Comfortable ride, power, speed and luxury. Too bad the reliability didn't match these things, this went from my favorite car to least favorite.

MPG is a good place to start, after that, try making a better transmission so people don't end up with 3600 dollar repairs on a 40000 car (new) only 70K into the ownership....

Still love this car...
By arobsd

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I'm the original owner and mine has 109k mi on it. I'm sure the performance has dropped since I bought it but I can't tell. Still pushes me back in my seat when I want it to. Still purrs like a kitten with no major problems. I definitely not a OCD owner went it comes to maintenance. Change oil every 5-10k mi. It does burn oil to the tune of 1 qt. every 1500 mi which is probably due to a clogged intake manifold. I've always put in premium gas. Repairs incl. Alternator 95K, $700, Engine mount, 90k $400. Spark Plugs 100k $500, Repairs in the near future: Intake Manifold $900, Struts: $1000, Tie rods $400, Catalytic converter: $1000. Nothing pressing. Not bad for over 100k. Still looks cool too!

Lots of room, plenty of power, corners fantastic for SUV (I have the SE version with stiffer suspension), Simple interior (I have the base version without leather. Cloth has held up very well), Drives well in all conditions, Sunlit copper paint still looks great (friends still comment how cool my car looks), CVT transmission is still incredibly smooth. Mechanically has been excellent.

Though I have not had expensive maintenance experiences, other's have. This is not a cheap vehicle to have worked on. At least Nissan has increased the transmission warranty to 10yr/120k mi. Power steering is weak when at slow speeds. Front-end suspension is not as tight as it could be at this age but it's not bad. Oil issue is annoying though it doesn't seem to be hurting anything. Does have some wind noise but it doesn't bother me. Same with some rattles but nothing blaring. Not the smoothest ride but the SL is supposed to have softer suspension. Glad I got the SE.