2004 Nissan Murano SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:
CAN YOU BE IN LOVE WITH A SUV? CUZ I AM!
By fabulous990 on 04/29/11 11:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This suv has everything I was looking for and more! Highly recommended! Being 5'10" and crouching into a Civic killed by back so this is great! Decent gas mileage, but I didn't expect it to do wonders especially coming from a small car to a SUV.

Murano Ripoff
By murano_ripoff on 03/13/11 19:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased a 2004 Murano SL AWD in 2008 with 34K miles. I purchased an extended warranty for 7/100000. All service was peformed aty Nissan dealership. The following items were fixed under warranty: 1) Driver seat - known problem 2) 2 engine mounts 3) oil gasket 4) tire rod Recently at 102K miles I replaced an engine seal for $300. A fuel consumption test detected that engine is burning 1 qt of oil every 1K miles. Last week, I had to tow Murano to dealership. The rear differential disintegrated. The cost to fix $2300. When delear replaced rear differential they noticed transfer case was ruined. The cost of repair $3500. Needless to say I would not recommend this car.

worst car i ever had
By angietornado on 02/04/11 09:51 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

the quality of this car is horrible... evrything detaches, everything is glued even the piece over ur entry lock on the door, the visor on the passager goes bad, rusted by window area,the gas tank door like every other reviews goes bad so broke the lock because it will leave me stock at the gas station not knowing what to do to open it, now am facing major expeses to fix the whole front wheels breaking sistem including rotors and probably already damage the calipers.... again like many other reviews my motor mounts had to be replaced and cost me about 1000 dollars to fix, am just so ready to trade it but i feel really bad for the next person that would buy this thing called suv.

Getting disappointed
By Disappointed Ed on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Was great from the start, great seat comfort, great handling, decent mileage, only problem was rattles all over. Nissan used cheap plastic materials. At 50,000 the front suspension began to have problems. First the right wheel bearings, axle,and tie rod had to be replaced. Now at 62,000 the same issues with the front left side. All issues with suspension are in the front. Murano rides hard, maybe this causes excessive wear on front suspension, still no excuse for this. Also front and rear motor mounts, dealer says need to be replaced, private mechanic says no. They cost $1000 to replace! No excuse for these problems on car with only 62,000 miles. Dealer uses hard sell to push service.

Great car, watch our for shortcomings
By Improver on 09/08/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

First thing I want to say is that this SUV handles better than a vehicle this large and high should. The interior space is good. This car is wider than most of the competition so that translates into passenger comfort. I am disappointed in the gas mileage department; in the city I am lucky to get over 14 mpg. On the highway I get about 19. The suspension is too stiff, a bad compromise between controlled ride and comfort. Good power. I loved the design of this car wind/road noise needs to improve, a softer suspension and the space between the front seats and console is a trap for dropped papers, coins and cell phones.

Could be a Great Vehicle, if.....
By onei on 06/04/10 12:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

My wife and I wanted to get out of the minivan era. This Murano clearly stood out as the top contender for us. It handles very well in all conditions. Has good pickup including climbing hills. The seating is comfortable with the leather seats and touring package. We average about 10k per year and mileage has been acceptable with about 20-21 mpg avg. This car is an eye catcher when its all polished up. Trouble is we can't get more than 30K out of a set of tires. Bose cd is great if it works. Sun visors are a real problem, replaced 4 of them so far. Engine mount cracked. Has been costly to maintain. CVT has performed well but high in maintenance.

best car!
By Amber on 04/25/10 19:13 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have had an excellent experience with this car. I bought it brand new off the lot and ran like a dream for 6 years. I plan to trade it in and buy another brand new one!

2004 NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS
By MIKEO on 04/05/10 08:10 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I bought this car used last year with relatively low miles for an 04, 42K. Problems: gas cap won't open - I finally just broke off the piece that locks the cover. Window rattles when down and radios is on with bass. Half of the stereo channels go out when you hit a bump and are playing a CD. Can't push defrost button in cold weather, only option is floor & defrost. Rear caliper went bad, ruined rotor, brake job and rotor and caliper with a warranty still cost $500. Now it's in the garage for problems with the front end when turning. Also have rear latch that works sometimes sticks most times. Very, very disappointed with the quality. Friends all said get the Nissan, should NOT have.

Looks good but major build quality issus
By J on 01/27/10 15:13 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Test drove the Highlander and Pilot and Murano, and we fell in love with the Murano. It was the best deal for all the features we wanted. It handled well and we loved the look - a prototype for other crossover SUVs to follow/copy. Unfortunately, car has had some major issues. Front control arms/transverse links went bad- $1000, the driver visor has been replaced and went bad again (design defect)- $350, front motor mount - $500, AC stinks- blows smelly socks air due to poor condensation drainage design, oil cooler seal, premium fuel.

Love my Murano
By Love this SUV on 01/24/10 10:06 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I bought my Murano new in 2004. I have had zero problems with it after 93,000 miles. All service was done at my local dealership, and their service has been excellent, but perhaps a little pricey. I drive mostly highway and consistently get 22.5 to 23 miles per gallon, which was as advertised. I comfortably fit 4 men and 4 sets of hockey equipment in it. Recently, Nissan extended the warranty on the drivetrain, to 10 years 100,000 miles (transferable). There were two or three recalls which I did not experience personally but were performed on the car.