Used 2004 Nissan Murano SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Murano - Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Murano SUV

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

Most Helpful|
Designed for short term fun, BEWARE of Maintenance cost
By rayman3000

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I will be brief. This vehicle is fun to drive no doubt. Once you get in for a test drive, you will buy this vehicle cos its so much fun to drive. The bad news is the cost of maintenance. You will spend a lot of time repairing this vehicle. Once it leaves the repair shop, do not ride this vehicle unless you are trying to know if the problems has been repaired or you are taking a new buyer on a test drive. Fail to heed my warning and you will fall in love with this vehicle again. Its like a woman you love, but you can't stand her naughty behavior. Buyers be warned. Stay away from her unless you have deep pockets. issues i have suffered: Wheel bearings (front right and back left), diffe

Favorite Features

The internal structure is rigid and durable. The booz surround is magnificient and once you have heared music from those beauties, you will hate to lose those feelings

Suggested Improvements

So many things. They need to work on the underneath structure of the vehicle. By this I mean, that they should use parts durable for this vehicle. Some of the problems include rotors, caliper, wheel bearings, front differentials, air conditioner, broken seat mounts, broken engine mounts and the list goes on.

Don't buy a MURANO!!!
By pruettfan

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We purchased our 04 SL AWD fully loaded Murano new in the summer of 04. We just traded in the car at 164,545 miles this summer (2014) so I can provide a comprehensive history on this car. Within a couple of years the "leather" drivers seat was cracking badly on the sides. We had to replace the steering rack, two power steering lines and a sensor, an oil cooler seal, countless tires because the car never aligned properly and would make tires very loud. By the time the car was 6 years old the rattles and switch failures, car locks etc started to add up. We traded it in with lots of small problems and an oil leak. This is our first and last Nissan. Stay away!!

Favorite Features

Styling was nice.

Suggested Improvements

Nissan should make cars that are reliable and of some quality for the long term. It was nice for about 3-4 years then the troubles started. The last couple of years it was terrible but we decided to hang on to it for as long as we could because it was paid off. Very happy we traded it in. I would suggest you avoid buying one of these used regardless of miles, price or condition. It will be a headache.

I love my 2004 Nissan Murano.. so far.. lol
By tish86

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I just got my 2004 Nissan Murano at a cheap price with high miles a little over 140k but have been told for years since I was a teenager that Nissans are good cars and last for a long time. I never realized though that it would be so costly.. but its worth it. I get looks whenever I drive my truck and love it. I do need to replace the tires and its a bummer that I have to replace all four instead of just the usual one that I am used to. The best deal that I came across was from Walmart for $550.00 for all four. It drives smooth so far and no problems so far.. will keep posted. Of course a suv is gonna be more costly to keep up then a car but I have three kids so I need a suv

Favorite Features

I love how when I put the key in the seat moves up to accomodiate me and then when I take the key out it moves back.. I was like wow... this is so cool.. I love the black leahter seats and the sun roof which is just awesome. Then the bose stereo system. I really chose this vehicle because I have three children and my two sons play football and they are big and tall so its quite roomy in the back for them.

Suggested Improvements

The sun shield does keep popping down on my side which is becoming pretty annoying and I need to get it tightened.. thats really about it for now... and I pray that nothing major happens... other than that I am pretty happy with it.

Cannibal Car
By jshores

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

At 45,000 miles the Check engine light came on due to a bad Catalytic Convertor, not diagnosed correctly by dealer. Honeycomb in converter powered and was sucked into engine. Diagnosed correctly after the factory warranty ran out. At 68K miles it has scored the pistons which causes the engine to burn about 1 quart of oil every 500 miles. Would cost more to fix than car is worth. Driver side seat panels cracked and peeled apart. Car could not be aligned adequately.

Favorite Features

It is a quiet comfortable vehicle. Easy to use and liked by all who entered it.

Suggested Improvements

Check your local dealerships reputation carefully before purchasing.

Should have a mechanic as an option
By celejao

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Bought my 2004 new. Have put on at least 3 to 4 brakes, and 3 sets of tires. Currently has 170,000 miles and is stuck at the dealership, was towed there. Right now needs motor mounts, catalylic convertor, front brakes, burns oil, a trans leak (so the dealer says, I do not have any leak spots on the ground), four tires, a belt: $6,000. in parts and labor! Really? I just replaced the CV joint on the drivers side. 350.00, an independent friend replaced it, probably double price at a service station. Nissan dealership is basically telling me to junk the car, so I will buy a new one. They tell me the engine may be bad, the transmission may need to be replaced. Dealership is scary.

Favorite Features

Can fit a lot in the trunk area. Used to love the pick up it had. Comfortable. Liked highway driving. Bose is good.

Suggested Improvements

Gas cap was stuck and I had to break it open. Nothing like being stuck at a gas pump, and unable to open the gas cover! Now does not lock, need a credit card to open it. CD changer does not work well in cold weather. Front visor either stays down or up, no in-between. Very difficult to make minor repairs. Took half a day to change out the back wiper. Take it to the dealer to replace, really? My front seat is getting loose. Read others have to have it fixed. Disappointed in Nissan. Too costly to maintain and costly repairs. I would not recommend buying a used Murano.