Used 2004 Nissan Murano SE SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Murano - Consumer Reviews

2004 Nissan Murano SUV

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

Still love this car...
By arobsd

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I'm the original owner and mine has 109k mi on it. I'm sure the performance has dropped since I bought it but I can't tell. Still pushes me back in my seat when I want it to. Still purrs like a kitten with no major problems. I definitely not a OCD owner went it comes to maintenance. Change oil every 5-10k mi. It does burn oil to the tune of 1 qt. every 1500 mi which is probably due to a clogged intake manifold. I've always put in premium gas. Repairs incl. Alternator 95K, $700, Engine mount, 90k $400. Spark Plugs 100k $500, Repairs in the near future: Intake Manifold $900, Struts: $1000, Tie rods $400, Catalytic converter: $1000. Nothing pressing. Not bad for over 100k. Still looks cool too!

Favorite Features

Lots of room, plenty of power, corners fantastic for SUV (I have the SE version with stiffer suspension), Simple interior (I have the base version without leather. Cloth has held up very well), Drives well in all conditions, Sunlit copper paint still looks great (friends still comment how cool my car looks), CVT transmission is still incredibly smooth. Mechanically has been excellent.

Suggested Improvements

Though I have not had expensive maintenance experiences, other's have. This is not a cheap vehicle to have worked on. At least Nissan has increased the transmission warranty to 10yr/120k mi. Power steering is weak when at slow speeds. Front-end suspension is not as tight as it could be at this age but it's not bad. Oil issue is annoying though it doesn't seem to be hurting anything. Does have some wind noise but it doesn't bother me. Same with some rattles but nothing blaring. Not the smoothest ride but the SL is supposed to have softer suspension. Glad I got the SE.

Great car, watch our for shortcomings
By Improver

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

First thing I want to say is that this SUV handles better than a vehicle this large and high should. The interior space is good. This car is wider than most of the competition so that translates into passenger comfort. I am disappointed in the gas mileage department; in the city I am lucky to get over 14 mpg. On the highway I get about 19. The suspension is too stiff, a bad compromise between controlled ride and comfort. Good power. I loved the design of this car wind/road noise needs to improve, a softer suspension and the space between the front seats and console is a trap for dropped papers, coins and cell phones.

Favorite Features

Exterior looks, acceleration, comfortable driving position, wheel size, tinted windows, great Bose sound.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel efficiency, wind/road noise needs to improve, a softer suspension and the space between the front seats and console is a trap for dropped papers, coins and cell phones. Speakers fail every now and then.

04 Murrano issues
By Mo2004

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have over 100,000 miles and really enjoyed driving the Murano until the little issues that have occurred over the time of driving. The alternator replaced (free do to recall). The driver side sun visor does not stay in place which a number of owners have wrote about. The cost to repair is about $350 for just the sun visor. The lock on the fuel tank stop functioning, the motor to adjust the seats on the driver side stop functioning. The front and right side motor mounts went bad ($1000 to repair). The motor mount issue is apparently with all Nissan vehicles. The vehicle is a great looking design, CVT engine is nice feel, and overall a good design.

Favorite Features

Looks, nice size, good center of gravity for an SUV which makes it not rollover, good acceleration

Suggested Improvements

I would have Nissan work on the quality of issues with the parts.

Our Muranos
By CJ

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We both drive a Murano my wife and I and have good experience with this car. The recall we had was handled proffesional and adequate. driving is just a plessure and we like it a lot to go places. when you step on the gas you go and thats what we like on the interstate.

Favorite Features

All of the them, but especially the oil, tire rotation and tire pressure mentioned on the digital display

Suggested Improvements

a little bit higher middle console to rest your arm

Nissan Murano is a "9.9"
By Don

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

In addition to being extremely functional, with the fold-down rear seats the Murano is an excellent cross between a much-fun-to-drive sedan and a handy cargo carrier. Very comfortable seating, which is important to me because my wife has severe scoliosis; when we look at a new car, the first thing she's interested in is the comfort level of the seats. If its not comfortable for her twisted back, forget it!!! We look elsewhere. BTW, she has a '92 Maxima which we got new from the same dealer and she loves it. I've found no faults in either car and will not-doubt buy another when the time comes. And, oh yeah, the service from our dealership is AAA.

Favorite Features

Power, handling, comfort, amenities, utility, reasonable gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

A genuine dual exhaust system, not the one-exhaust-pipe-splitting-to-two- tailpipes aft of the muffler.