2004 Nissan Murano SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:
Cannibal Car
By jshores on 02/24/14 16:01 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

At 45,000 miles the Check engine light came on due to a bad Catalytic Convertor, not diagnosed correctly by dealer. Honeycomb in converter powered and was sucked into engine. Diagnosed correctly after the factory warranty ran out. At 68K miles it has scored the pistons which causes the engine to burn about 1 quart of oil every 500 miles. Would cost more to fix than car is worth. Driver side seat panels cracked and peeled apart. Car could not be aligned adequately.

Should have a mechanic as an option
By celejao on 09/08/13 08:56 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Bought my 2004 new. Have put on at least 3 to 4 brakes, and 3 sets of tires. Currently has 170,000 miles and is stuck at the dealership, was towed there. Right now needs motor mounts, catalylic convertor, front brakes, burns oil, a trans leak (so the dealer says, I do not have any leak spots on the ground), four tires, a belt: $6,000. in parts and labor! Really? I just replaced the CV joint on the drivers side. 350.00, an independent friend replaced it, probably double price at a service station. Nissan dealership is basically telling me to junk the car, so I will buy a new one. They tell me the engine may be bad, the transmission may need to be replaced. Dealership is scary.

worst car i ever had
By angietornado on 02/04/11 09:51 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

the quality of this car is horrible... evrything detaches, everything is glued even the piece over ur entry lock on the door, the visor on the passager goes bad, rusted by window area,the gas tank door like every other reviews goes bad so broke the lock because it will leave me stock at the gas station not knowing what to do to open it, now am facing major expeses to fix the whole front wheels breaking sistem including rotors and probably already damage the calipers.... again like many other reviews my motor mounts had to be replaced and cost me about 1000 dollars to fix, am just so ready to trade it but i feel really bad for the next person that would buy this thing called suv.

Getting disappointed
By Disappointed Ed on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Was great from the start, great seat comfort, great handling, decent mileage, only problem was rattles all over. Nissan used cheap plastic materials. At 50,000 the front suspension began to have problems. First the right wheel bearings, axle,and tie rod had to be replaced. Now at 62,000 the same issues with the front left side. All issues with suspension are in the front. Murano rides hard, maybe this causes excessive wear on front suspension, still no excuse for this. Also front and rear motor mounts, dealer says need to be replaced, private mechanic says no. They cost $1000 to replace! No excuse for these problems on car with only 62,000 miles. Dealer uses hard sell to push service.

Could be a Great Vehicle, if.....
By onei on 06/04/10 12:39 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

My wife and I wanted to get out of the minivan era. This Murano clearly stood out as the top contender for us. It handles very well in all conditions. Has good pickup including climbing hills. The seating is comfortable with the leather seats and touring package. We average about 10k per year and mileage has been acceptable with about 20-21 mpg avg. This car is an eye catcher when its all polished up. Trouble is we can't get more than 30K out of a set of tires. Bose cd is great if it works. Sun visors are a real problem, replaced 4 of them so far. Engine mount cracked. Has been costly to maintain. CVT has performed well but high in maintenance.

Looks good but major build quality issus
By J on 01/27/10 15:13 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Test drove the Highlander and Pilot and Murano, and we fell in love with the Murano. It was the best deal for all the features we wanted. It handled well and we loved the look - a prototype for other crossover SUVs to follow/copy. Unfortunately, car has had some major issues. Front control arms/transverse links went bad- $1000, the driver visor has been replaced and went bad again (design defect)- $350, front motor mount - $500, AC stinks- blows smelly socks air due to poor condensation drainage design, oil cooler seal, premium fuel.

I'll buy another
By Ron L on 12/27/09 14:35 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Purchased new. Serviced as needed. Now at 96,000 plus miles and run like a top.

Do Not Buy Nissan
By Semirhage on 10/13/09 10:49 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

At 59,151 my transmission went out. The Murano has a very expensive CVT transmission and I was told the repair would cost over $6,000. The transmission should have been covered under the powertrain warranty (60 months, 60k miles) -but I was apparently 1 month past the 60 month mark. Nissan jerked me around for 2 weeks pretending they might honor the warranty (while I racked up rental car bills) but in the end they made it quite clear they did not care about me or the vehicle they built. After reading about other problems with the CVT, I think a recall is in order, but Nissan doesn't care.

04 Murano a disappointment
By JHicks on 03/21/09 12:55 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This was our 3rd and last Nissan. First 2 were awesome then came the Murano. Starting at 75k miles everything went sour. 2 sensors, 2 motor mounts, cat converter, power locks plus small things had to be replaced. I got no help from Nissan's customer service. Cat converter went 500 miles after warranty and got no help thru Nissan. After 4k+ in repairs, I finally dumped it and will never buy another Nissan. Buyer beware, do your research very carefully. I got rid of mine before the CVT failed, that would have been another $5k.

only nissans
By PEG on 09/10/08 10:20 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Knowing Nissans the way I do I expected better. The drive was great in the beginning aside for the alternator issue which almost caused me to have a serious accident. I am continuing to be surprised by the amount of mechanical problems I'm encountering; I'm starting to think it may be a lemon with a little sugar on top. I've gotten many compliments and inquiries about handling and various other topics.