2004 Nissan Murano SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:
Don't buy a MURANO!!!
By pruettfan on 08/30/14 16:40 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We purchased our 04 SL AWD fully loaded Murano new in the summer of 04. We just traded in the car at 164,545 miles this summer (2014) so I can provide a comprehensive history on this car. Within a couple of years the "leather" drivers seat was cracking badly on the sides. We had to replace the steering rack, two power steering lines and a sensor, an oil cooler seal, countless tires because the car never aligned properly and would make tires very loud. By the time the car was 6 years old the rattles and switch failures, car locks etc started to add up. We traded it in with lots of small problems and an oil leak. This is our first and last Nissan. Stay away!!

Avoid High Mileage Used Murano's
By moneypitowner on 04/05/14 13:41 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Love the design and functionality of the Murano. Had Nissan and Infinity before and very reliable and economical to maintain. I put 200K on my earlier Nissans and they ran great. Not the case with Murano. I bought the Murano with 80K on it. Owner babied it and Murano maintained by dealer, all receipts. At 115K. CVT went bad. $4500 repair. Head gasket bad at 121k. Another $4500 repair. Numerous reports of transfer case failures as well as exhaust system repairs. Very expensive repairs. Recent problems with head gaskets on newer models also reported. Get extended warranties if you keep the car past dealer warranty period. Don't buy a first generation used Murano.

Cannibal Car
By jshores on 02/24/14 16:01 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

At 45,000 miles the Check engine light came on due to a bad Catalytic Convertor, not diagnosed correctly by dealer. Honeycomb in converter powered and was sucked into engine. Diagnosed correctly after the factory warranty ran out. At 68K miles it has scored the pistons which causes the engine to burn about 1 quart of oil every 500 miles. Would cost more to fix than car is worth. Driver side seat panels cracked and peeled apart. Car could not be aligned adequately.

Should have a mechanic as an option
By celejao on 09/08/13 08:56 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Bought my 2004 new. Have put on at least 3 to 4 brakes, and 3 sets of tires. Currently has 170,000 miles and is stuck at the dealership, was towed there. Right now needs motor mounts, catalylic convertor, front brakes, burns oil, a trans leak (so the dealer says, I do not have any leak spots on the ground), four tires, a belt: $6,000. in parts and labor! Really? I just replaced the CV joint on the drivers side. 350.00, an independent friend replaced it, probably double price at a service station. Nissan dealership is basically telling me to junk the car, so I will buy a new one. They tell me the engine may be bad, the transmission may need to be replaced. Dealership is scary.

Disappointed
By chill68 on 03/27/13 07:07 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Purchased in 2004. Happy with the overall look and performance. Did not buy it for gas milege just wanted a safe vehicle for wifey. Check engine light stays on due to a bad Catalytic Convertor. Which in subsequent models was repaired. This causes the engine to burn oil because of particle blowback. The only sensible repair is a new engine. About 2-3 quarts every 2K miles. Driver side seat panels and arm rest cracked and peeled apart. During hot weather the door locks stick. Have to hold the unlock button and let the windows roll down to get in. The gas tank door opener stop working. I just disconnected from the system versus paying $300 for the part. Cannot wait to part with.

I love my 2004 Nissan Murano.. so far.. lol
By tish86 on 03/26/13 08:14 AM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I just got my 2004 Nissan Murano at a cheap price with high miles a little over 140k but have been told for years since I was a teenager that Nissans are good cars and last for a long time. I never realized though that it would be so costly.. but its worth it. I get looks whenever I drive my truck and love it. I do need to replace the tires and its a bummer that I have to replace all four instead of just the usual one that I am used to. The best deal that I came across was from Walmart for $550.00 for all four. It drives smooth so far and no problems so far.. will keep posted. Of course a suv is gonna be more costly to keep up then a car but I have three kids so I need a suv

Designed for short term fun, BEWARE of Maintenance cost
By rayman3000 on 01/24/13 12:17 PM (PST)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I will be brief. This vehicle is fun to drive no doubt. Once you get in for a test drive, you will buy this vehicle cos its so much fun to drive. The bad news is the cost of maintenance. You will spend a lot of time repairing this vehicle. Once it leaves the repair shop, do not ride this vehicle unless you are trying to know if the problems has been repaired or you are taking a new buyer on a test drive. Fail to heed my warning and you will fall in love with this vehicle again. Its like a woman you love, but you can't stand her naughty behavior. Buyers be warned. Stay away from her unless you have deep pockets. issues i have suffered: Wheel bearings (front right and back left), diffe

I would highly recommend!!
By ljones263 on 05/03/12 14:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Exterior design is awesome! Interior is holding up very well. Vehicle has been very dependable for over 5 years. I love my Murano even after over 140,000 miles. Vehicle has not been perfect, but all things considered, thumbs up! Murano's are notorious for having front suspension issues, wheel bearings, etc... After 8 years, expect it, it's not too bad. Other minor issues, cable for tail gate had to be replaced. Shocks had to be replaced. That's about it :)

How do I hate thee, let me count the ways.
By 6twentysix on 04/19/12 23:38 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I was super excited about this pre-owned car, I bought it around 50K and I bought the extended warranty. HOLY CRAP, I'm glad I did. Here is a list of things that were fixed. Catastrophic Failures (covered by Warranty) Drive box - wouldn't go in reverse (Out 2 weeks) Transmission was rebuilt when the chain kept leaking which I guess is a common problem. (Out 1 week) Minor but extremely annoying: Door Actuator on the Drivers handle Windshield Wipers (twice fixed) CV Joint passenger side Struts after only 60K And a bunch of other crap I can't remember... Nissan fixed things, but as soon as the warranty ended, I sold this bad car. Now it's another Nissan dealerships problem.

Still love this car...
By arobsd on 05/31/11 19:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Nissan Murano SUV SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I'm the original owner and mine has 109k mi on it. I'm sure the performance has dropped since I bought it but I can't tell. Still pushes me back in my seat when I want it to. Still purrs like a kitten with no major problems. I definitely not a OCD owner went it comes to maintenance. Change oil every 5-10k mi. It does burn oil to the tune of 1 qt. every 1500 mi which is probably due to a clogged intake manifold. I've always put in premium gas. Repairs incl. Alternator 95K, $700, Engine mount, 90k $400. Spark Plugs 100k $500, Repairs in the near future: Intake Manifold $900, Struts: $1000, Tie rods $400, Catalytic converter: $1000. Nothing pressing. Not bad for over 100k. Still looks cool too!