Used 2004 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Nissan Murano - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

Don't buy a MURANO!!!
By pruettfan

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We purchased our 04 SL AWD fully loaded Murano new in the summer of 04. We just traded in the car at 164,545 miles this summer (2014) so I can provide a comprehensive history on this car. Within a couple of years the "leather" drivers seat was cracking badly on the sides. We had to replace the steering rack, two power steering lines and a sensor, an oil cooler seal, countless tires because the car never aligned properly and would make tires very loud. By the time the car was 6 years old the rattles and switch failures, car locks etc started to add up. We traded it in with lots of small problems and an oil leak. This is our first and last Nissan. Stay away!!

Favorite Features

Styling was nice.

Suggested Improvements

Nissan should make cars that are reliable and of some quality for the long term. It was nice for about 3-4 years then the troubles started. The last couple of years it was terrible but we decided to hang on to it for as long as we could because it was paid off. Very happy we traded it in. I would suggest you avoid buying one of these used regardless of miles, price or condition. It will be a headache.

Avoid High Mileage Used Murano's
By moneypitowner

2004 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Love the design and functionality of the Murano. Had Nissan and Infinity before and very reliable and economical to maintain. I put 200K on my earlier Nissans and they ran great. Not the case with Murano. I bought the Murano with 80K on it. Owner babied it and Murano maintained by dealer, all receipts. At 115K. CVT went bad. $4500 repair. Head gasket bad at 121k. Another $4500 repair. Numerous reports of transfer case failures as well as exhaust system repairs. Very expensive repairs. Recent problems with head gaskets on newer models also reported. Get extended warranties if you keep the car past dealer warranty period. Don't buy a first generation used Murano.

Favorite Features

AWD, Styling, interior functionality with easy fold down rear seats. Bose sound system awesome, until it failed. Another big repair bill!

Suggested Improvements

Reliability poor. Cost of repairs to engine and transmission are out of sight since you must drop the engine, transmission as an assembly from underneath the vehicle. Just about every part in the engine compartment, except the air conditioner compressor, must be removed from the car. Nissan lowered the price of the CVT to about $2250, but the labor is very expensive due to the car design. Nissan dealer was very poor and misdiagnosed problems. Nissan America customer support was also terrible. I would never buy a Nissan again unless I could afford a new one and to replace it before it was out of dealer warranty.

Cannibal Car
By jshores

2004 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

At 45,000 miles the Check engine light came on due to a bad Catalytic Convertor, not diagnosed correctly by dealer. Honeycomb in converter powered and was sucked into engine. Diagnosed correctly after the factory warranty ran out. At 68K miles it has scored the pistons which causes the engine to burn about 1 quart of oil every 500 miles. Would cost more to fix than car is worth. Driver side seat panels cracked and peeled apart. Car could not be aligned adequately.

Favorite Features

It is a quiet comfortable vehicle. Easy to use and liked by all who entered it.

Suggested Improvements

Check your local dealerships reputation carefully before purchasing.

Should have a mechanic as an option
By celejao

2004 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Bought my 2004 new. Have put on at least 3 to 4 brakes, and 3 sets of tires. Currently has 170,000 miles and is stuck at the dealership, was towed there. Right now needs motor mounts, catalylic convertor, front brakes, burns oil, a trans leak (so the dealer says, I do not have any leak spots on the ground), four tires, a belt: $6,000. in parts and labor! Really? I just replaced the CV joint on the drivers side. 350.00, an independent friend replaced it, probably double price at a service station. Nissan dealership is basically telling me to junk the car, so I will buy a new one. They tell me the engine may be bad, the transmission may need to be replaced. Dealership is scary.

Favorite Features

Can fit a lot in the trunk area. Used to love the pick up it had. Comfortable. Liked highway driving. Bose is good.

Suggested Improvements

Gas cap was stuck and I had to break it open. Nothing like being stuck at a gas pump, and unable to open the gas cover! Now does not lock, need a credit card to open it. CD changer does not work well in cold weather. Front visor either stays down or up, no in-between. Very difficult to make minor repairs. Took half a day to change out the back wiper. Take it to the dealer to replace, really? My front seat is getting loose. Read others have to have it fixed. Disappointed in Nissan. Too costly to maintain and costly repairs. I would not recommend buying a used Murano.

Disappointed
By chill68

2004 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Purchased in 2004. Happy with the overall look and performance. Did not buy it for gas milege just wanted a safe vehicle for wifey. Check engine light stays on due to a bad Catalytic Convertor. Which in subsequent models was repaired. This causes the engine to burn oil because of particle blowback. The only sensible repair is a new engine. About 2-3 quarts every 2K miles. Driver side seat panels and arm rest cracked and peeled apart. During hot weather the door locks stick. Have to hold the unlock button and let the windows roll down to get in. The gas tank door opener stop working. I just disconnected from the system versus paying $300 for the part. Cannot wait to part with.

Favorite Features

Comfortable should have purchased the Infiniti FX

Suggested Improvements

Wished Nissan would have recalled the vehicle for the engine issue.