BEWARE: 2003 Murano Tranny is a Lemon!
By Former Murano Owner on
2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)
I bought an 03 Murano 62k miles on it. Beautiful, lots of features, pretty good MPG. Unfortunately, within a month or two I experienced the "bunny hop." In stop-and-go traffic, I first noticed the acceleration was sluggish. Then, after each complete stop, it was dangerously unresponsive - creeping along at a couple of mph. Then the engine figured out it was going too slow, it revved up and jumped forward. I could have rear-ended someone. Read other reviews and you will see that I am not alone. THIS IS A DANGEROUS CAR! It broke my heart because I loved my Murano. But I was tired of worrying that my transmission would either blow out or, worse, injure someone.
Favorite Features
All around beautiful car. Heated leather seats of an interesting sienna color. CD player had a tape deck that I used (with a converter) to play my mp3 player. Lots of interior space. 20.1 MPG combined city/hwy.
Suggested Improvements
The 2003 was the first model year and its CVT transmission is completely unreliable. Do some research and you will see that Nissan should do a recall. Dealers/mechanics that I've talked to seemed to be either uninformed or hiding something. Later models sound like they're okay, but avoid the 2003!