2003 Nissan Murano Consumer Review: BEWARE: 2003 Murano Tranny is

2003 Nissan Murano - Consumer Review

BEWARE: 2003 Murano Tranny is a Lemon!
By Former Murano Owner on

2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I bought an 03 Murano 62k miles on it. Beautiful, lots of features, pretty good MPG. Unfortunately, within a month or two I experienced the "bunny hop." In stop-and-go traffic, I first noticed the acceleration was sluggish. Then, after each complete stop, it was dangerously unresponsive - creeping along at a couple of mph. Then the engine figured out it was going too slow, it revved up and jumped forward. I could have rear-ended someone. Read other reviews and you will see that I am not alone. THIS IS A DANGEROUS CAR! It broke my heart because I loved my Murano. But I was tired of worrying that my transmission would either blow out or, worse, injure someone.

All around beautiful car. Heated leather seats of an interesting sienna color. CD player had a tape deck that I used (with a converter) to play my mp3 player. Lots of interior space. 20.1 MPG combined city/hwy.

The 2003 was the first model year and its CVT transmission is completely unreliable. Do some research and you will see that Nissan should do a recall. Dealers/mechanics that I've talked to seemed to be either uninformed or hiding something. Later models sound like they're okay, but avoid the 2003!