Used 2003 Nissan Murano SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Murano - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

Nice Car BUT...
By cherryja

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Overall, this car is a mess. I purchased a Nissan because I thought they were reliable cars. My Murano has been nothing but trouble, I had the car stop on me in the middle of traffic 3 times: 1. alternater 2. transmission (which had to be repaired 3 times) 3. battery. 4. Now I have to pay for a catalytic converter. Nissan did nothing to me make me happy except take my money. Because I drive a great distance to work, I was anticipating a reliable car, instead I got a over priced piece of junk that just looks good on the exterior. I will never buy another Nissan again.

Favorite Features

Bose system, wide seats.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission and cat. converter, customer service. Gas mileage.

Murano
By Allen Arndt

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Our Murano is operated in very harsh enviroment in Minnesota and just keeps running perfectly. Maintenance is easy and i put new brake pads on at 60k miles. The finish is standing uo very well considering tree branch contact. Compared to my friends Lexus it rides better and we the CVT. I will buy one again unless they make changes that detract from its current performance. I almost forgot my wife hit in a parking lot in the left rear and bumper was damaged. I pulled it out by hand and it popped in shape and only minor scratches. I fix that problem in the spring. We feel very good about our murano and I feel its refined enough almost anyone taste.

Favorite Features

Performance of the CVT and engine plus I think it looks great. Nissan missed the boat here they should have made them in a variety of trims and interiors. This would have made more affordable for all. Maybe they could beat on Toyota and GM a little more if they had done.

Suggested Improvements

Backing without the TV camera is not good. We handle like an airplane. We have no trouble finding spots that we can drive straight out. Since both my wife and I are in our 70s I think that best and then there's no problems.

Tranmission Design Defect
By jbhog330

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I just turned over 89750 miles on my Murano. Must to my surprise the transmission has gone bad. Come to find out this is a "typical" problem with this year and the 2004's yet the factory still fails to acknowledge it. The cost to fix, over $5000. Not a small pill to swallow. Nissan owes it to their customers to step up to the plate and rectify the situation. I am joining a class action law suit against Nissan for this defective transmission, specifically pressure sensor unit. This is a SERIOUS potential cause of death due to the way the tranny goes. You could be pulling out into traffic and it will not move for 10-15 seconds. Someone will probably die because Nissan does not want to lose $$

Favorite Features

Style and ride

Suggested Improvements

Fix the transmission problem on the earlier models. It was modified on the later models to avoid failure. That's admission in my book.

2003 Murano SL
By dag

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Bought our gold Murano new in 2003 and use it for long long road trips. We've put over 75000 miles on her and she's going strong. We checked out the Mercedes and Lexus SUVs at the time, and they were noisier. We enjoy the quiet ride of the Murano. We can carry on a conversation without yelling. There's lots of room for the two of us and our dog. The ride is great; there's power to spare. Gas mileage is so-so (20 mpg), but we have only used regular gas and the engine runs great.

Favorite Features

Leather seats with plenty of adjustments, the automatic window-opening feature of the key-fob, the big wheels, the great headroom of the tailgate (and the lights), the quiet ride, with little air noise or road noise. Automatic headlights.

Suggested Improvements

Input and output jacks for the Bose. Should be able to retro-fit the radio for satellite.

Awesome Vehicle
By mikedee

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I don't normally write reviews, but after driving many CUVs including the new Ford Edge, i bought an 03 Murano. It has been a great pleasure to drive, is classy, comfortable and smart on the inside without being snotty, holds cargo roads like a truck but drives like a car (good clearance and AWD for mountain roads, but it's no 4Runner). I can't comment on reliability yet, but it had 70k when I got it and was/is running great. if you're looking for a CUV type vehicle, at the very least you should test drive one of these - and don't worry, the initially weird CVT goes unnoticed after getting used to it.