Used 2003 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews - 580 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Murano - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

Excellent All Rounder
By denverdude

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have consistently for the past 4 months including winter driving gotten 18 mpg city. For a solid cross over AWD with a V-6 in excess of 240 hp, there is not a competitor that really offers any better unless you look at hybrids. I bought mine used with low miles (29k). It is a very competent and comfortable vehicle. On worn OEM tires it performs well in 10 inch deep snow in the canyon roads west of Boulder. This has been rectified in later years. Better MPG than Pilot, Highlander, 4Runner. I spent months researching!

Heated power leather seats, sunroof, bose stereo, smooth V6.

Steering wheel controls are not lit. More rear cabin lighting.

Not Good if in an Accident
By Gloria

2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

It was in a little fender bender. No air bags deployed; the car that hit me and my car were only going ten miles an hour but the repairs for my Murano were over $8000. My car was hit on the driver's side on the edge of the bumper. From the outside it looked like only the bumper was damaged, yet the battery encasement holder was pushed into the transmission and a whole new transmission was needed. Am wondering if this was just a fluke, or if these cars are just fragile.

I love how the Murano looks!

It does have a bumpy ride, would like more storage space in the back, no blind spots, would like a stronger body in case of accidents, and lastly, widh the gas economy was better. I only get 18-19 miles per gallon.

Nice Car BUT...
By cherryja

2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Overall, this car is a mess. I purchased a Nissan because I thought they were reliable cars. My Murano has been nothing but trouble, I had the car stop on me in the middle of traffic 3 times: 1. alternater 2. transmission (which had to be repaired 3 times) 3. battery. 4. Now I have to pay for a catalytic converter. Nissan did nothing to me make me happy except take my money. Because I drive a great distance to work, I was anticipating a reliable car, instead I got a over priced piece of junk that just looks good on the exterior. I will never buy another Nissan again.

Bose system, wide seats.

Transmission and cat. converter, customer service. Gas mileage.

Murano
By Allen Arndt

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Our Murano is operated in very harsh enviroment in Minnesota and just keeps running perfectly. Maintenance is easy and i put new brake pads on at 60k miles. The finish is standing uo very well considering tree branch contact. Compared to my friends Lexus it rides better and we the CVT. I will buy one again unless they make changes that detract from its current performance. I almost forgot my wife hit in a parking lot in the left rear and bumper was damaged. I pulled it out by hand and it popped in shape and only minor scratches. I fix that problem in the spring. We feel very good about our murano and I feel its refined enough almost anyone taste.

Performance of the CVT and engine plus I think it looks great. Nissan missed the boat here they should have made them in a variety of trims and interiors. This would have made more affordable for all. Maybe they could beat on Toyota and GM a little more if they had done.

Backing without the TV camera is not good. We handle like an airplane. We have no trouble finding spots that we can drive straight out. Since both my wife and I are in our 70s I think that best and then there's no problems.

Tranmission Design Defect
By jbhog330

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I just turned over 89750 miles on my Murano. Must to my surprise the transmission has gone bad. Come to find out this is a "typical" problem with this year and the 2004's yet the factory still fails to acknowledge it. The cost to fix, over $5000. Not a small pill to swallow. Nissan owes it to their customers to step up to the plate and rectify the situation. I am joining a class action law suit against Nissan for this defective transmission, specifically pressure sensor unit. This is a SERIOUS potential cause of death due to the way the tranny goes. You could be pulling out into traffic and it will not move for 10-15 seconds. Someone will probably die because Nissan does not want to lose $$

Style and ride

Fix the transmission problem on the earlier models. It was modified on the later models to avoid failure. That's admission in my book.