Used 2003 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Murano - Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Murano

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

A lemon
By Greatly Disappointed

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

2003 Murano has had nothing but problems. Have replaced hatchback lock, rear wiper motor/blade, transmission, radiator, headlight, transfer case for a total of $6,000. The transmission was still under warranty. If it hadn't, that would have been another $4,000. Powertrain only warrantied to 60,000 so transfer case cost me $3,700. Nissan and dealership refused any assistance on repair cost despite well-documented history of these known problems for this model year. Dealer told me I should have bought the extended warranty when it was offered to me.

Suggested Improvements

Stand behind your product, Nissan.

Will definitely buy another
By Jeff

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This is the second Nissan I've owned. I bought it with 16k miles about four years ago, and it just turned over 92k. I drove it back and forth from NY to VA several times, and it was very comfortable and got decent mileage. No major problems whatsoever. I step on the gas and response is immediate. Great speed-to-speed acceleration, too. The interior could be better, but I'm 6'3" and feel very comfortable inside. I wish it had an auxiliary hookup for audio devices, and the CVT has kind of a dynaflow effect every now and then; a 5-speed automatic or 4-speed with O/D would be better suited for the car. Once I refinance the mortgage, I'm getting a fully loaded '09 Murano LE AWD.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage for an SUV, vast interior space, great exterior styling, responsive engine, fantastic speed-to-speed acceleration, stereo speakers don't sound like factory speakers, rear seats fold down super-easy.

Suggested Improvements

All these things are changed in the '09, but the older models needed a sharper transmission, a more luxurious interior for a $35k+ car, an auxiliary input for mp3 players, XM/Sirius etc., more cupholders, and not to discontinue the sunlit copper color!

CVT needs replacement after 5 years
By bummed about cvt

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

At 60000 the transmission was already having problems. At 70000 miles and 5 years old my transmission needs replacement. While driving for about 10-15 miles, it would have resistance at a stop sign, trying to pull into traffic. I would press the gas pedal and the Murano doesn't want to go, it's scary when I pull into traffic and a car is coming. I love all other features of the Murano, just the CVT stinks. Today my Murano is stuck in the shop and I need $5000-$6000 to replace the transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Nissan needs to back up their name and CVT. I believe a transmission should at least be good up to 100,000 miles, or longer than 5 years.

Excellent All Rounder
By denverdude

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have consistently for the past 4 months including winter driving gotten 18 mpg city. For a solid cross over AWD with a V-6 in excess of 240 hp, there is not a competitor that really offers any better unless you look at hybrids. I bought mine used with low miles (29k). It is a very competent and comfortable vehicle. On worn OEM tires it performs well in 10 inch deep snow in the canyon roads west of Boulder. This has been rectified in later years. Better MPG than Pilot, Highlander, 4Runner. I spent months researching!

Favorite Features

Heated power leather seats, sunroof, bose stereo, smooth V6.

Suggested Improvements

Steering wheel controls are not lit. More rear cabin lighting.

Not Good if in an Accident
By Gloria

2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

It was in a little fender bender. No air bags deployed; the car that hit me and my car were only going ten miles an hour but the repairs for my Murano were over $8000. My car was hit on the driver's side on the edge of the bumper. From the outside it looked like only the bumper was damaged, yet the battery encasement holder was pushed into the transmission and a whole new transmission was needed. Am wondering if this was just a fluke, or if these cars are just fragile.

Favorite Features

I love how the Murano looks!

Suggested Improvements

It does have a bumpy ride, would like more storage space in the back, no blind spots, would like a stronger body in case of accidents, and lastly, widh the gas economy was better. I only get 18-19 miles per gallon.