2003 Nissan Murano - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:
Another bad transmission in Murano
By Colleen on 05/02/09 08:05 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased my 2003 Murano AWD used with 24k miles on it. Like other reviewers, my transmission just failed at 88,319 miles, and it is costing me $6000 to have a reconditioned transmission put in. Nissan customer service said that they were not going to help me with the repair. I am very disappointed with Nissan's quality and customer service, and I will not buy another. Also, the CD player stopped functioning at around 75k, and it cost over $450 to fix. The radio shop told me that they saw many Muranos with that problem.

Over Rated Murano
By mikesmurano on 04/28/09 05:22 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This will we the last Nissan product I ever buy. The Murano is the most over rated car I have ever owned. For the price I payed, I am disgusted with the quality of the car. I care for it well and it's still falling apart! I should have bought a Chevy Tahoe! 1. Failed CVT $6200. 2. Failed door solenoids $450. 3. Leakey sunroof. 4. Bose CD player failed. 5. Power seats have back lash in gear drive. 6. Cup holder arms broke with little pressure. 7. Failed CATYLITIC converter & O2 sensors $1050. 8. Valve cover PCV system clogged $450. 9. Oil leaks & coolant leaks. All of this and I change the oil every 3000 miles. I am a mechanical engineer and check every thing weekly.

CVT problems
By d l stough on 03/03/09 07:34 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Replaced transmission with 78000 miles,now experiencing problems with second transmission when it snows and only when it snows, the transmission sputters and shuts down, let the car sit for two hours and it is ok very dangerous when driving

2003 Nissan Murano
By deenah on 01/30/09 08:49 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have a 2003 that had 20k when I got it in 2007. The entire fuel system failed in my car at 40k in Oct. 2008. I liked the car for some of the + points, but this car has just become worse over time. The driver side visor broke and Nissan wants $350 to fix it, but their own parts employee said that they see this problem all the time/everyday! The car has just under 50k on it, and I think that a problem with the transmission is starting because it loses power from the get go when at a stop. I don't know why Nissan was so shoddy making this car b/c it was suppose to be a unique, sleek SUV.

CVT Issues
By lemonornot? on 09/24/08 19:05 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We bought our Murano less than a year ago at 58k miles. Was looking forward to owning a Murano since they came out in 2003 and prices finally came down to where we could afford one. Well much to our surprise at 65k miles the engine starts to run at 4000 rpm going down the highway one long trip and we literally feel the vehicle losing power and jumping forward. We end up turning around on the highway in the median then can't move at all. COMPLETELY LOST POWER WITH THE GAS PEDAL TO THE FLOOR!!! Thought we were going to be stranded on the highway! Turn engine off/on and it goes by golly. Took it back to dealer and found the transmission had to be replaced, metal in pan. CVT has issues.

Nissan & Transmissions
By Very Disappointed on 08/08/08 18:18 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased my Murano after reading numerous Edmunds' reviews. In January of '06 everything I read was positive, yet now I sit with a $5000 estimate to rebuild my transmission on an '03 vehicle that has just tripped 87,000 miles. This is my 2nd Nissan & my 2nd issue with replacing a transmission (the 1st a '92 Maxima with over 150,000 miles). I too have had the issue of putting my foot on the gas and getting no power after a stop in traffic. It's scary, dangerous & frustrating to think I know have to replace a transmission so soon.

Expensive at 45000 miles
By Ian on 06/24/08 17:03 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

In the last 6 months we have spent nearly$1700 on repairs to this Murano. It would have been more if we had paid the $900 for new motor mounts when the car had done 45,000 miles. The dealer got Nissan to pay for it after a lot of complaining from me. The car has done 51080 miles and 2 months ago we paid $900 for front struts and now $457 dollars for an electric window motor, 50$ for a rear stop light change and $43 for an inspection and oil change. The dealer claims the muffler needs replacing for another $914 and the car need brakes and rotors for another $600. If this is typical, at this mileage, of Nissan products, then they are producing lemons.

ripped off
By ripped off on 06/13/08 05:18 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I had my murano for four years now and I had it. I considered all the problems it cost me...alternator, replaced battery TWICE, replaced door locks, replaced gas door, NOW they are telling me that I need to replace my engine mount because it's cracked. I drive my cars cautiously, and I need something reliable. Did I add that it left me stranded TWICE and I had to call for help. Thats when I had the alternator changed. Now that I have a family, I cannot be wasting my extra cash on repairs/replacement. I will NEVER purchase another Nissan. This will be my first and last.

5 years later
By car101 on 04/22/08 06:48 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This car has been great for the past 5 years. It's been solid and has never needed any major fixes. It's always been very usable in the real world, from loading it full of items for transportation to driving around a full family of 5. With a black on black color with 22" black rims the car looks great even to this day. When driving around town it has always had solid pick up and the CVT is something that works seamlessly. You start to really love the gear changing without feeling it happening. In the last year or so I was rear ended. The car stood like a champ and only needed minor repairs to the muffler. Otherwise the bumper was perfectly fine. It's been a great car.

Love the vehicle
By j doc on 04/06/08 18:06 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have loved this SUV. I have owned the Quest van previously and also had good experiences with these cars. My vehicle has 80000 miles and has recently had the transmission replaced. Also had the gas cap issue.