Used 2003 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Murano - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

Murano, Transmitions are ok dont worry,
By chrssll

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Hello my name is Chris from Ma, I just purchased my 2003 Murano SL AWD with 63k on it. I love the interior and exterior. I read the reviews about the CVT transmissions with customers having issues with them. I called Nissan today because I had thought i was having trouble with my tranny but they told me most people don't know and aren't used to driving with the CVT thats why they think they are having trouble with them. Nissan recently extended their warranty to 10 years or 120,000 miles on any Nissan with the CVT. You don't have to do any thing to receive this warranty what so ever. ALSO if you have repaired your transmission withing the 120K they will send you in full your money back.

Favorite Features

DUAL EXHAUST is the main reason, Very sporty AWD sun roof, cool looking exterior, NAVIGATION. Everything. GREAT fuel economy. I get 19MPG in city and 23MPG highway. PUT the PREMIUM FUEL in by the way it helps out a lot it actually saves you money on fuel believe me!

Suggested Improvements

The transmission to me could still use some adjustments so we all don't have to think were having issues with the transmissions but other than that its great.

Original owner
By Rudy

2003 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Owned 7 years with 50k mi. Still looks good compared to newer cars. Only problems have been gas cap actuator, driver power window motor, garage door opener in rear view mirror and intermittent hesitation problem during stop/start. After dealer performed last recall to replace intake fasteners hesitation problem was cured. Glad it was not transmission. I believe someone posted that Nissan extended the CVT transmission warranty to 10yrs/100k mi. Overall it has gotten me from A to B without any problems but I would have not expected to have these little things break down with such low miles.

Favorite Features

Looks, design, comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Better electrical/mechanical parts

Poor choice
By Noel A

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We bought our 2003 Murano AWD because it lookes great and we had liked our Maxima. What a mistake - luckily we negotiated a free extended warranty into our deal besause: the motor mounts failed at 35K, the mount control sensor failed as well,TWO different oxygen sensors failed at different times leaving my wife and children stranded, the front strut bearings failed at 60k, the rear lift latch failed at 61K, wiring leading to the mass air flow sensor failed, causing the sensor to also fail - leaving us stranded AGAIN,even the sunshades needed to be replaced as the spring tensioner failed. The total cost of these repairs would have been over $5500 if I had to pay for them!I wont buy another!

Favorite Features

Looks, ride, handling ease of kids getting in, out etc.

Suggested Improvements

BUILD A QUIALITY PRODUCT THAT WORKS - NOT JUST ONE THAT LOOKS GOOD!

Oil leaks, cvt, electrical issues.
By Bighog

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Have had same issues as other reviews.Hesitation at stop to start has gone away with last recall to replace air tube and clamps. fuel door lock replaced twice, after 2nd time I just broke the lock shaft off and left it at that. I now have oil leaking from oil cooler seal, oil sump pan gasket, and main oil pan gasket. Entire engine has to be removed from bottom of vehicle to repair these items. Parts cost approx. $70.00, labor is $1350.00. Will be replacing wheel seals while the engine is out also since axles have to come out anyway, $40.00 for parts only. Luckily no cvt issues, knock on wood.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior for large drivers, heated leather power seats, steering wheel controls, sound system. We also own a '07 SE awd fully loaded(for the wife). Difference is night and day. '07 is a much smoother ride and quieter.

Suggested Improvements

We were surprised to get a letter from nissan extending the cvt warranty to 10 years/120,000 miles. Hopefully this helps people with their problems. Owners should stay up to date with recalls, especially mechanical issues.

6.5 great years with my MO
By Jeff

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This SUV was a 1st year model, so yes there were a couple of issues. The alternator recall, the rocking chair fixed under warranty and the flopping sun visor coming just this year. The CVT performed flawlessly and the only other items done were battery, tires, wiper blades & oil changes. All things considered, this was a blast to own & drive for 85k miles over 6.5 trouble free years. The styling was cutting edge in '03, it was very sporty for an SUV and it fit me, 6'3" 290lbs with ease. It could also hold my 3 boys in the back seat and 2 of them are 6+ foot. The cargo room was amazing, I have got many a admiring comment at Lowe's.

Favorite Features

Styling, HID's, heated seats. large sun roof and leather that wore great.

Suggested Improvements

None, I will be buying another one & I have never done that in my last 20 cars!