Used 2003 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews - 580 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Murano - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

Don't buy it unless you like repair bills
By tacosauce

2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

It's attractive because of the look & I just like the way it "sits". However just like any relationship looks only go so far. 1st off engine noise & road noise is horrible. Problems: It wasn't responding to the accelerator-had to replace the transmission, replaced alternator, replaced oxygen sensor, replaced intake valve solenoid, window fell down into door-replaced power window assembly, replaced transfer case, heated seat switches replaced, replacing rear window wiper requires special Nissan part, waterproofing & trim falling off all over the car, key replacement = $290 for remote+$150 for microchip key. Total repair costs $4,505. Car is garaged,only driven about 9000 miles per year.

Looks, stance, CVT (when working), information screen, seat and pedal adjustments, automatic AWD

Overall quality of mechanical and body parts, center console is not very functional, improve HVAC to rear of vehicle. It would be more useful if it were scrapped and the materials recycled to build a new Honda.

Can't drive very well over 65 mph
By tauris2000

2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I am having trouble driving my 2003 Nissan Murano over 65 mph on the highway. It revs really high and then engine sounds like it is going to explode. It seems like it is already in the highest gear possible and it of course won't shift any higher. I am afraid to take it out of town on longer highway trips because of this. I have an extended warranty but don't know what the problem is or if it would be covered. I have taken it to one Nissan Dealer and one Carmax dealer and neither have been able to diagnose a problem. They also aren't allowed to take it out on the highway which seems absurd. Any input would be much appreciated.

Murano, Transmitions are ok dont worry,
By chrssll

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Hello my name is Chris from Ma, I just purchased my 2003 Murano SL AWD with 63k on it. I love the interior and exterior. I read the reviews about the CVT transmissions with customers having issues with them. I called Nissan today because I had thought i was having trouble with my tranny but they told me most people don't know and aren't used to driving with the CVT thats why they think they are having trouble with them. Nissan recently extended their warranty to 10 years or 120,000 miles on any Nissan with the CVT. You don't have to do any thing to receive this warranty what so ever. ALSO if you have repaired your transmission withing the 120K they will send you in full your money back.

DUAL EXHAUST is the main reason, Very sporty AWD sun roof, cool looking exterior, NAVIGATION. Everything. GREAT fuel economy. I get 19MPG in city and 23MPG highway. PUT the PREMIUM FUEL in by the way it helps out a lot it actually saves you money on fuel believe me!

The transmission to me could still use some adjustments so we all don't have to think were having issues with the transmissions but other than that its great.

Original owner
By Rudy

2003 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Owned 7 years with 50k mi. Still looks good compared to newer cars. Only problems have been gas cap actuator, driver power window motor, garage door opener in rear view mirror and intermittent hesitation problem during stop/start. After dealer performed last recall to replace intake fasteners hesitation problem was cured. Glad it was not transmission. I believe someone posted that Nissan extended the CVT transmission warranty to 10yrs/100k mi. Overall it has gotten me from A to B without any problems but I would have not expected to have these little things break down with such low miles.

Looks, design, comfort.

Better electrical/mechanical parts

Poor choice
By Noel A

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We bought our 2003 Murano AWD because it lookes great and we had liked our Maxima. What a mistake - luckily we negotiated a free extended warranty into our deal besause: the motor mounts failed at 35K, the mount control sensor failed as well,TWO different oxygen sensors failed at different times leaving my wife and children stranded, the front strut bearings failed at 60k, the rear lift latch failed at 61K, wiring leading to the mass air flow sensor failed, causing the sensor to also fail - leaving us stranded AGAIN,even the sunshades needed to be replaced as the spring tensioner failed. The total cost of these repairs would have been over $5500 if I had to pay for them!I wont buy another!

Looks, ride, handling ease of kids getting in, out etc.

BUILD A QUIALITY PRODUCT THAT WORKS - NOT JUST ONE THAT LOOKS GOOD!