Used 2003 Nissan Murano SUV Consumer Reviews - 580 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Murano SUV - Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Murano SUV

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

'03 SL AWD 142,000+ mi
By timinmn

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have owned this since new, went in to buy an Altima, drove out in the Murano.
It has been a joy to drive. It has been a reliable vehicle for over 142,000 miles.
The only major problem I've had was the transfer case went out at 138,000 ($3000 to fix, still cheaper than a new car).
The one flaw I have found is the fuel filler neck rusting and pitting, causing the Check Engine light to come on, I have sanded it down applied LPS3 rust preventor on it we'll see if that lasts.

CVT, Bose sound system

Better filler neck material

Lurching/Acceleration Delay
By whynissan1

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

After taking the vehicle to both the local Nissan dealership and trusted tranny guy - neither could find any problems.
Yet when the car is warm and you run into stop & go traffic (I live in So. Cal.) which is a regularity,you will experience the lurch/delay.
Luckily no accidents! However, putting it into park and restarting the vehicle seems to "reboot" the problem and it will be okay for a while & then resurface when you least expect it.

It is a fun comfortable car to drive. However, I don't feel safe driving it more recently and am looking for another vehicle.

The 2003 Murano has a transmission problem and after reading multiple sites, it is one that Nissan should address.

TERRIBLE RELIABILITY!! DO NOT PURCHASE MURANOS!!
By bobby125

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

HEARD ALL OVER OF THE SAME PROBLEMS ONCE I STARTED HAVING ISSUES W/MY MURANO. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND MURANOS!!!

Bought used, had engine timing/engine chain problems HAD TO REPLACE WHOLE ENGINE MOTOR!! can cost thousands, mechanics also report problems w/ under hood accessibility on front end due to everything being compacted so poor front end design which takes more time&labor costs for mechanics to fix, also had work done on ball joints, tie rods and rear sway/axle bars TOO MANY MECHANICAL PROBLEMS for a foreign vehicle w/ only 120k miles.

Traded it in
By sdwtchlvr

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I owned a 2003 Murano from 4/06-5/10.

Here are a few bullet points.

•The SE ride is very rigid...the suspension is supposed to be sport tuned but it is awfully rough and rigid.
Had to replace struts at 70K and when I traded it in, a couple of the motor mounts were shot.

•The frame on the driver's seat broke, so the window side of the seat sagged down.
Did some research and found I was not alone.
Nissan wanted to replace the seat at $1500+. No thanks.

•The HID head light went out.
Bought a replacement bulb for $180. That blew right after putting it in.
Bought another one, same thing.
Turns out it was the transistor housing for the bulb.
Headache.

Traded it in for a Camry.

Interior & Exterior design.

Build quality. Should have known when I bought a first year production. Hopefully they improved upon some things over the year.

BEWARE: 2003 Murano Tranny is a Lemon!
By Former Murano Owner

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I bought an 03 Murano 62k miles on it. Beautiful, lots of features, pretty good MPG. Unfortunately, within a month or two I experienced the "bunny hop." In stop-and-go traffic, I first noticed the acceleration was sluggish. Then, after each complete stop, it was dangerously unresponsive - creeping along at a couple of mph. Then the engine figured out it was going too slow, it revved up and jumped forward. I could have rear-ended someone. Read other reviews and you will see that I am not alone. THIS IS A DANGEROUS CAR! It broke my heart because I loved my Murano. But I was tired of worrying that my transmission would either blow out or, worse, injure someone.

All around beautiful car. Heated leather seats of an interesting sienna color. CD player had a tape deck that I used (with a converter) to play my mp3 player. Lots of interior space. 20.1 MPG combined city/hwy.

The 2003 was the first model year and its CVT transmission is completely unreliable. Do some research and you will see that Nissan should do a recall. Dealers/mechanics that I've talked to seemed to be either uninformed or hiding something. Later models sound like they're okay, but avoid the 2003!