2003 Nissan Murano SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:
Murano, Transmitions are ok dont worry,
By chrssll on 03/18/10 07:34 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Hello my name is Chris from Ma, I just purchased my 2003 Murano SL AWD with 63k on it. I love the interior and exterior. I read the reviews about the CVT transmissions with customers having issues with them. I called Nissan today because I had thought i was having trouble with my tranny but they told me most people don't know and aren't used to driving with the CVT thats why they think they are having trouble with them. Nissan recently extended their warranty to 10 years or 120,000 miles on any Nissan with the CVT. You don't have to do any thing to receive this warranty what so ever. ALSO if you have repaired your transmission withing the 120K they will send you in full your money back.

Original owner
By Rudy on 01/27/10 22:00 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Owned 7 years with 50k mi. Still looks good compared to newer cars. Only problems have been gas cap actuator, driver power window motor, garage door opener in rear view mirror and intermittent hesitation problem during stop/start. After dealer performed last recall to replace intake fasteners hesitation problem was cured. Glad it was not transmission. I believe someone posted that Nissan extended the CVT transmission warranty to 10yrs/100k mi. Overall it has gotten me from A to B without any problems but I would have not expected to have these little things break down with such low miles.

Poor choice
By Noel A on 01/09/10 08:19 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We bought our 2003 Murano AWD because it lookes great and we had liked our Maxima. What a mistake - luckily we negotiated a free extended warranty into our deal besause: the motor mounts failed at 35K, the mount control sensor failed as well,TWO different oxygen sensors failed at different times leaving my wife and children stranded, the front strut bearings failed at 60k, the rear lift latch failed at 61K, wiring leading to the mass air flow sensor failed, causing the sensor to also fail - leaving us stranded AGAIN,even the sunshades needed to be replaced as the spring tensioner failed. The total cost of these repairs would have been over $5500 if I had to pay for them!I wont buy another!

Oil leaks, cvt, electrical issues.
By Bighog on 01/01/10 12:49 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Have had same issues as other reviews.Hesitation at stop to start has gone away with last recall to replace air tube and clamps. fuel door lock replaced twice, after 2nd time I just broke the lock shaft off and left it at that. I now have oil leaking from oil cooler seal, oil sump pan gasket, and main oil pan gasket. Entire engine has to be removed from bottom of vehicle to repair these items. Parts cost approx. $70.00, labor is $1350.00. Will be replacing wheel seals while the engine is out also since axles have to come out anyway, $40.00 for parts only. Luckily no cvt issues, knock on wood.

6.5 great years with my MO
By Jeff on 12/02/09 11:09 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This SUV was a 1st year model, so yes there were a couple of issues. The alternator recall, the rocking chair fixed under warranty and the flopping sun visor coming just this year. The CVT performed flawlessly and the only other items done were battery, tires, wiper blades & oil changes. All things considered, this was a blast to own & drive for 85k miles over 6.5 trouble free years. The styling was cutting edge in '03, it was very sporty for an SUV and it fit me, 6'3" 290lbs with ease. It could also hold my 3 boys in the back seat and 2 of them are 6+ foot. The cargo room was amazing, I have got many a admiring comment at Lowe's.

Bought Brand New 2003
By abou7alab@gmail.com on 11/23/09 00:36 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Hi, I bought this car Brand new few days after came out in the market it was a WOW everywhere. I had some problems but thanks God I got the extended warranty when I first bought. biggest problem is LOSS of Power when taking off or accelerating I told the dealer few times but couldn't find the problem, I took it to another dealer they change the o2 sensor and the catalytic converter. all was under warranty it ran me another 20000 miles but now I am facing the same problem. OIL LEAK from the engine, rattling noises from parts inside cabin. cup holders are easy broken. changed visor clips 3 times, change pedal distance adjuster under warranty. cheap leather cracked everywhere

170,000 in 6 yrs & still going strong!
By Susan on 10/19/09 12:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I was really surprised to read of the problems that others have had with their 2003 Murano. With 170,000+ miles on mine, of course I've had to replace normal wear-out parts, do the brakes, etc, Also had to replace front strut sleeves, but that is the only problem that I have had in 170,000 miles. Love the transmission and I have always done as my salesman advised, "Come to a COMPLETE stop before shifting from reverse to drive - no rolling shifts!" I like mine so much that when I get another 50,000 miles on her (about 1 1/2 years for me), I'm going to get another Murano. I do wish that the back window rolled down, though.

Best buy ever
By LuvMyMurano on 08/15/09 13:08 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I was initially lured by the Murano's design, then fell in love with how it drove. I bought it new in January 2004 and have never regretted it. 170,000 miles later I am still impressed with it's reliability and build. I have only paid for routine maintenance, and continue to enjoy consistent performance. No issues with things falling apart or breaking. Friends comment that it is still "like new". Either I got lucky with a perfect car, or the Murano is just close to perfect.

If you're thinking of buying one.. DONT!
By DONT BUY ONE!!!!!!! on 06/11/09 08:22 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We bought a used 2003 Murano trusting there were no problems and less than a month after buying (74K miles)the accelerator would stall for 3-5 seconds and after our research we found the transmission was going out! Even under warranty Murdock Hyundai would NOT work with us in an equal trade or just fixing the transmission! I will never buy again or ever suggest to someone to buy a Murano! They look cool and sporty, but the entire car will break down on you sooner than said. Any bumps you go on etc, it feels like the steering wheel is coming off and that your tires are popping.... It is just overall a HORRIBLE make of a car!!!! DONT BUY ONE.... YOU'LL REGRET IT!!!!

Loving it
By Ester on 05/30/09 23:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Bought it 2 months ago after our first kid, and love it. Spacious, quick, and not a minivan.Lots of good features, feels & looks like a luxury vehicle. Great value for the price I paid.