2003 Nissan Murano SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:
Lurching/Acceleration Delay
By whynissan1 on 07/20/12 13:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

After taking the vehicle to both the local Nissan dealership and trusted tranny guy - neither could find any problems. Yet when the car is warm and you run into stop & go traffic (I live in So. Cal.) which is a regularity,you will experience the lurch/delay. Luckily no accidents! However, putting it into park and restarting the vehicle seems to "reboot" the problem and it will be okay for a while & then resurface when you least expect it.

Original owner
By Rudy on 01/27/10 22:00 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Owned 7 years with 50k mi. Still looks good compared to newer cars. Only problems have been gas cap actuator, driver power window motor, garage door opener in rear view mirror and intermittent hesitation problem during stop/start. After dealer performed last recall to replace intake fasteners hesitation problem was cured. Glad it was not transmission. I believe someone posted that Nissan extended the CVT transmission warranty to 10yrs/100k mi. Overall it has gotten me from A to B without any problems but I would have not expected to have these little things break down with such low miles.

Bought Brand New 2003
By abou7alab@gmail.com on 11/23/09 00:36 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Hi, I bought this car Brand new few days after came out in the market it was a WOW everywhere. I had some problems but thanks God I got the extended warranty when I first bought. biggest problem is LOSS of Power when taking off or accelerating I told the dealer few times but couldn't find the problem, I took it to another dealer they change the o2 sensor and the catalytic converter. all was under warranty it ran me another 20000 miles but now I am facing the same problem. OIL LEAK from the engine, rattling noises from parts inside cabin. cup holders are easy broken. changed visor clips 3 times, change pedal distance adjuster under warranty. cheap leather cracked everywhere

Best buy ever
By LuvMyMurano on 08/15/09 13:08 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I was initially lured by the Murano's design, then fell in love with how it drove. I bought it new in January 2004 and have never regretted it. 170,000 miles later I am still impressed with it's reliability and build. I have only paid for routine maintenance, and continue to enjoy consistent performance. No issues with things falling apart or breaking. Friends comment that it is still "like new". Either I got lucky with a perfect car, or the Murano is just close to perfect.

2003 Nissan Murano
By deenah on 01/30/09 08:49 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have a 2003 that had 20k when I got it in 2007. The entire fuel system failed in my car at 40k in Oct. 2008. I liked the car for some of the + points, but this car has just become worse over time. The driver side visor broke and Nissan wants $350 to fix it, but their own parts employee said that they see this problem all the time/everyday! The car has just under 50k on it, and I think that a problem with the transmission is starting because it loses power from the get go when at a stop. I don't know why Nissan was so shoddy making this car b/c it was suppose to be a unique, sleek SUV.

ripped off
By ripped off on 06/13/08 05:18 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I had my murano for four years now and I had it. I considered all the problems it cost me...alternator, replaced battery TWICE, replaced door locks, replaced gas door, NOW they are telling me that I need to replace my engine mount because it's cracked. I drive my cars cautiously, and I need something reliable. Did I add that it left me stranded TWICE and I had to call for help. Thats when I had the alternator changed. Now that I have a family, I cannot be wasting my extra cash on repairs/replacement. I will NEVER purchase another Nissan. This will be my first and last.

2003 Murano SL
By dag on 12/20/07 14:40 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Bought our gold Murano new in 2003 and use it for long long road trips. We've put over 75000 miles on her and she's going strong. We checked out the Mercedes and Lexus SUVs at the time, and they were noisier. We enjoy the quiet ride of the Murano. We can carry on a conversation without yelling. There's lots of room for the two of us and our dog. The ride is great; there's power to spare. Gas mileage is so-so (20 mpg), but we have only used regular gas and the engine runs great.

Best Urban SUV
By Mike on 09/29/06 11:20 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

We purchased our silver SL in January 03. The model had only been available since December '02. We've never regretted a minute. It's got power, performance and comfort. Love the Bose sound system. Our hauling capacity is larger and has better access than our daughter's '05 Lexus RX 330. My only complain is that the gas mileage is no where near what they originally claimed (22 city and 28 hwy). Our overall average has been 18 mpg.

Murano - outstanding
By Barb on 08/13/06 06:57 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Purchased in 2004 and have never regretted the purchase. Best automobile I think I have ever owned.

Still happy after 3.5 years/80K!!
By Tommyguy on 07/24/06 18:38 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This is absolutely the best car I have ever owned. Even after 3.5 years and 80,000 miles, I would buy this car again! Love the transmission and POWER! Way roomier than people think and drives like a dream. Had only one problem (alternator) but it was 100% covered by recall. I bought this car for the styling and the drive. The only bad thing is that you cannot replace the factory radio with a custom stereo. However, I worked around this by loosing the tray beneath the middle of the console and adding a custom stereo with subwoofer and top of the line speakers. It can be done!