2003 Nissan Murano SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:
Renault is tarnishing Nissan's reliability
By mkh142 on 06/02/13 10:38 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

These Nissans in many respects are Renaults in disguise. Renault has consistently produced unreliable cars for decades and now that they own Nissan, many of Nissans products are suffering. The Nissan Murano looks nice, and has nice features, but it is a reliability disaster as with every other "Renault". They are not designed to last, but instead designed to be "profitable" to the company. I'd reccomended not buying and going for a more reliable brand.

Traded it in
By sdwtchlvr on 02/01/11 08:44 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I owned a 2003 Murano from 4/06-5/10. Here are a few bullet points. •The SE ride is very rigid...the suspension is supposed to be sport tuned but it is awfully rough and rigid. Had to replace struts at 70K and when I traded it in, a couple of the motor mounts were shot. •The frame on the driver's seat broke, so the window side of the seat sagged down. Did some research and found I was not alone. Nissan wanted to replace the seat at $1500+. No thanks. •The HID head light went out. Bought a replacement bulb for $180. That blew right after putting it in. Bought another one, same thing. Turns out it was the transistor housing for the bulb. Headache. Traded it in for a Camry.

170,000 in 6 yrs & still going strong!
By Susan on 10/19/09 12:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I was really surprised to read of the problems that others have had with their 2003 Murano. With 170,000+ miles on mine, of course I've had to replace normal wear-out parts, do the brakes, etc, Also had to replace front strut sleeves, but that is the only problem that I have had in 170,000 miles. Love the transmission and I have always done as my salesman advised, "Come to a COMPLETE stop before shifting from reverse to drive - no rolling shifts!" I like mine so much that when I get another 50,000 miles on her (about 1 1/2 years for me), I'm going to get another Murano. I do wish that the back window rolled down, though.

Over Rated Murano
By mikesmurano on 04/28/09 05:22 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This will we the last Nissan product I ever buy. The Murano is the most over rated car I have ever owned. For the price I payed, I am disgusted with the quality of the car. I care for it well and it's still falling apart! I should have bought a Chevy Tahoe! 1. Failed CVT $6200. 2. Failed door solenoids $450. 3. Leakey sunroof. 4. Bose CD player failed. 5. Power seats have back lash in gear drive. 6. Cup holder arms broke with little pressure. 7. Failed CATYLITIC converter & O2 sensors $1050. 8. Valve cover PCV system clogged $450. 9. Oil leaks & coolant leaks. All of this and I change the oil every 3000 miles. I am a mechanical engineer and check every thing weekly.

Nissan & Transmissions
By Very Disappointed on 08/08/08 18:18 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased my Murano after reading numerous Edmunds' reviews. In January of '06 everything I read was positive, yet now I sit with a $5000 estimate to rebuild my transmission on an '03 vehicle that has just tripped 87,000 miles. This is my 2nd Nissan & my 2nd issue with replacing a transmission (the 1st a '92 Maxima with over 150,000 miles). I too have had the issue of putting my foot on the gas and getting no power after a stop in traffic. It's scary, dangerous & frustrating to think I know have to replace a transmission so soon.

5 years later
By car101 on 04/22/08 06:48 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This car has been great for the past 5 years. It's been solid and has never needed any major fixes. It's always been very usable in the real world, from loading it full of items for transportation to driving around a full family of 5. With a black on black color with 22" black rims the car looks great even to this day. When driving around town it has always had solid pick up and the CVT is something that works seamlessly. You start to really love the gear changing without feeling it happening. In the last year or so I was rear ended. The car stood like a champ and only needed minor repairs to the muffler. Otherwise the bumper was perfectly fine. It's been a great car.

CVT needs replacement after 5 years
By bummed about cvt on 03/17/08 18:55 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

At 60000 the transmission was already having problems. At 70000 miles and 5 years old my transmission needs replacement. While driving for about 10-15 miles, it would have resistance at a stop sign, trying to pull into traffic. I would press the gas pedal and the Murano doesn't want to go, it's scary when I pull into traffic and a car is coming. I love all other features of the Murano, just the CVT stinks. Today my Murano is stuck in the shop and I need $5000-$6000 to replace the transmission.

Looks good, but don't buy one
By Ren on 12/26/06 00:48 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I guess I got a lemon...Many problems, battery died 2x(covered), back windows rolled down by themselves (2x,luckily nothing stolen), gas door wouldn't open (in costco line), now door locks are "worn"-all three gave out when I took it in for a "free" oil change- coincidence? Nissan will not cover this, because warranty is over. I highly discourage others from purchasing a Nissan.

Excellent!! Would buy another.
By Jodestr on 04/20/06 09:21 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I love this car. I have owned three SUVs and this car is the best. 2003 and still looks and runs great. I'm ready to buy a new one!

Murano a Great Car
By lcrnext on 01/15/06 20:04 PM (PST)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

The Murano is a great car to drive. Not too big, not too small. Handles like a car, but has the comfort and space of an SUV. Love the fast acceleration and smooth handling. Interior features are good, too.

1 2 3 4 5 next »