2003 Nissan Murano SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:
CVT Transmission/Transfercase/Gaspump
By bgarcia78 on 09/08/13 20:17 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have a 2003 Murano 140,000 miles I have replaced my transfer case three years ago called Nissan for help and got no where with them I had to pay out of pocket $3ooo. Two months after that I have to replace the catalitc converter another big job. Now a month ago I had to replace the gas pump again another big expensive job. But my real problem is my transmission the problem started last summer where after driving the car for about 20 to 30 min and then get into traffic the car starts to hesitate when pressing on the gas I took the car to the dealer w/ no help they told me I had to bring the car when it was happening and this problem doesn't happen all the time. So finally I take it aga

Renault is tarnishing Nissan's reliability
By mkh142 on 06/02/13 10:38 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

These Nissans in many respects are Renaults in disguise. Renault has consistently produced unreliable cars for decades and now that they own Nissan, many of Nissans products are suffering. The Nissan Murano looks nice, and has nice features, but it is a reliability disaster as with every other "Renault". They are not designed to last, but instead designed to be "profitable" to the company. I'd reccomended not buying and going for a more reliable brand.

Decent car with bad build quality
By umichioe on 10/16/12 16:24 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I owned this car from 2003 (new) to 2012 (traded) It is comfortable and have good performance. But build quality is bad!!!! 40K: CVT failed. Replace underwarranty. 80K: Power seat failure. Replaced under extended warranty 120K: Transfer case failed. $3200 145K: CVT failed: $4300 150K: Aircon failed. Didn't fix. 150K: Catalytic converter failed. Didn't fix. Traded at 150K

'03 SL AWD 142,000+ mi
By timinmn on 08/29/12 13:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have owned this since new, went in to buy an Altima, drove out in the Murano. It has been a joy to drive. It has been a reliable vehicle for over 142,000 miles. The only major problem I've had was the transfer case went out at 138,000 ($3000 to fix, still cheaper than a new car). The one flaw I have found is the fuel filler neck rusting and pitting, causing the Check Engine light to come on, I have sanded it down applied LPS3 rust preventor on it we'll see if that lasts.

Lurching/Acceleration Delay
By whynissan1 on 07/20/12 13:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

After taking the vehicle to both the local Nissan dealership and trusted tranny guy - neither could find any problems. Yet when the car is warm and you run into stop & go traffic (I live in So. Cal.) which is a regularity,you will experience the lurch/delay. Luckily no accidents! However, putting it into park and restarting the vehicle seems to "reboot" the problem and it will be okay for a while & then resurface when you least expect it.

TERRIBLE RELIABILITY!! DO NOT PURCHASE MURANOS!!
By bobby125 on 04/19/12 10:39 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

HEARD ALL OVER OF THE SAME PROBLEMS ONCE I STARTED HAVING ISSUES W/MY MURANO. WOULD NOT RECOMMEND MURANOS!!! Bought used, had engine timing/engine chain problems HAD TO REPLACE WHOLE ENGINE MOTOR!! can cost thousands, mechanics also report problems w/ under hood accessibility on front end due to everything being compacted so poor front end design which takes more time&labor costs for mechanics to fix, also had work done on ball joints, tie rods and rear sway/axle bars TOO MANY MECHANICAL PROBLEMS for a foreign vehicle w/ only 120k miles.

Traded it in
By sdwtchlvr on 02/01/11 08:44 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I owned a 2003 Murano from 4/06-5/10. Here are a few bullet points. •The SE ride is very rigid...the suspension is supposed to be sport tuned but it is awfully rough and rigid. Had to replace struts at 70K and when I traded it in, a couple of the motor mounts were shot. •The frame on the driver's seat broke, so the window side of the seat sagged down. Did some research and found I was not alone. Nissan wanted to replace the seat at $1500+. No thanks. •The HID head light went out. Bought a replacement bulb for $180. That blew right after putting it in. Bought another one, same thing. Turns out it was the transistor housing for the bulb. Headache. Traded it in for a Camry.

BEWARE: 2003 Murano Tranny is a Lemon!
By Former Murano Owner on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I bought an 03 Murano 62k miles on it. Beautiful, lots of features, pretty good MPG. Unfortunately, within a month or two I experienced the "bunny hop." In stop-and-go traffic, I first noticed the acceleration was sluggish. Then, after each complete stop, it was dangerously unresponsive - creeping along at a couple of mph. Then the engine figured out it was going too slow, it revved up and jumped forward. I could have rear-ended someone. Read other reviews and you will see that I am not alone. THIS IS A DANGEROUS CAR! It broke my heart because I loved my Murano. But I was tired of worrying that my transmission would either blow out or, worse, injure someone.

Don't buy it unless you like repair bills
By tacosauce on 07/23/10 07:36 AM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

It's attractive because of the look & I just like the way it "sits". However just like any relationship looks only go so far. 1st off engine noise & road noise is horrible. Problems: It wasn't responding to the accelerator-had to replace the transmission, replaced alternator, replaced oxygen sensor, replaced intake valve solenoid, window fell down into door-replaced power window assembly, replaced transfer case, heated seat switches replaced, replacing rear window wiper requires special Nissan part, waterproofing & trim falling off all over the car, key replacement = $290 for remote+$150 for microchip key. Total repair costs $4,505. Car is garaged,only driven about 9000 miles per year.

Can't drive very well over 65 mph
By tauris2000 on 04/14/10 16:47 PM (PDT)

2003 Nissan Murano SUV SE AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I am having trouble driving my 2003 Nissan Murano over 65 mph on the highway. It revs really high and then engine sounds like it is going to explode. It seems like it is already in the highest gear possible and it of course won't shift any higher. I am afraid to take it out of town on longer highway trips because of this. I have an extended warranty but don't know what the problem is or if it would be covered. I have taken it to one Nissan Dealer and one Carmax dealer and neither have been able to diagnose a problem. They also aren't allowed to take it out on the highway which seems absurd. Any input would be much appreciated.