2003 Nissan Murano 3.5L V6 CVT Automatic Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Murano - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

2003 Murano Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Renault is tarnishing Nissan's reliability
By mkh142

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

These Nissans in many respects are Renaults in disguise. Renault has consistently produced unreliable cars for decades and now that they own Nissan, many of Nissans products are suffering. The Nissan Murano looks nice, and has nice features, but it is a reliability disaster as with every other "Renault". They are not designed to last, but instead designed to be "profitable" to the company. I'd reccomended not buying and going for a more reliable brand.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, reliability reliability!

Traded it in
By sdwtchlvr

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I owned a 2003 Murano from 4/06-5/10. Here are a few bullet points. •The SE ride is very rigid...the suspension is supposed to be sport tuned but it is awfully rough and rigid. Had to replace struts at 70K and when I traded it in, a couple of the motor mounts were shot. •The frame on the driver's seat broke, so the window side of the seat sagged down. Did some research and found I was not alone. Nissan wanted to replace the seat at $1500+. No thanks. •The HID head light went out. Bought a replacement bulb for $180. That blew right after putting it in. Bought another one, same thing. Turns out it was the transistor housing for the bulb. Headache. Traded it in for a Camry.

Favorite Features

Interior & Exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality. Should have known when I bought a first year production. Hopefully they improved upon some things over the year.

170,000 in 6 yrs & still going strong!
By Susan

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I was really surprised to read of the problems that others have had with their 2003 Murano. With 170,000+ miles on mine, of course I've had to replace normal wear-out parts, do the brakes, etc, Also had to replace front strut sleeves, but that is the only problem that I have had in 170,000 miles. Love the transmission and I have always done as my salesman advised, "Come to a COMPLETE stop before shifting from reverse to drive - no rolling shifts!" I like mine so much that when I get another 50,000 miles on her (about 1 1/2 years for me), I'm going to get another Murano. I do wish that the back window rolled down, though.

Favorite Features

Roominess: legroom, headroom, and wide width. Xenon headlights.

Suggested Improvements

Back window that rolls down, Audio inputs for external players.

Over Rated Murano
By mikesmurano

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This will we the last Nissan product I ever buy. The Murano is the most over rated car I have ever owned. For the price I payed, I am disgusted with the quality of the car. I care for it well and it's still falling apart! I should have bought a Chevy Tahoe! 1. Failed CVT $6200. 2. Failed door solenoids $450. 3. Leakey sunroof. 4. Bose CD player failed. 5. Power seats have back lash in gear drive. 6. Cup holder arms broke with little pressure. 7. Failed CATYLITIC converter & O2 sensors $1050. 8. Valve cover PCV system clogged $450. 9. Oil leaks & coolant leaks. All of this and I change the oil every 3000 miles. I am a mechanical engineer and check every thing weekly.

Favorite Features

Good interior design & nice leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

Use higher quality materials and better engineer the car. The CVT stinks! It is prone to problems and is unrepairable.

Nissan & Transmissions
By Very Disappointed

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased my Murano after reading numerous Edmunds' reviews. In January of '06 everything I read was positive, yet now I sit with a $5000 estimate to rebuild my transmission on an '03 vehicle that has just tripped 87,000 miles. This is my 2nd Nissan & my 2nd issue with replacing a transmission (the 1st a '92 Maxima with over 150,000 miles). I too have had the issue of putting my foot on the gas and getting no power after a stop in traffic. It's scary, dangerous & frustrating to think I know have to replace a transmission so soon.

Favorite Features

The comfort level and space with kids. Great drive (like a car) and fabulous look for the price.

Suggested Improvements

Nissan needs to go back to the drawing board when it comes to transmissions on all of their vehicles!!!

5 years later
By car101

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This car has been great for the past 5 years. It's been solid and has never needed any major fixes. It's always been very usable in the real world, from loading it full of items for transportation to driving around a full family of 5. With a black on black color with 22" black rims the car looks great even to this day. When driving around town it has always had solid pick up and the CVT is something that works seamlessly. You start to really love the gear changing without feeling it happening. In the last year or so I was rear ended. The car stood like a champ and only needed minor repairs to the muffler. Otherwise the bumper was perfectly fine. It's been a great car.

Favorite Features

CVT is seamless. The look is very sporty in black with black 22" rims. Using the navigation to get home from anywhere is great. Riding in the vehicle has always been quiet and relaxing. Rear seating reclining is great as is having the rear seats sitting higher up then front seats.

Suggested Improvements

A touch screen GPS. Also, a better stereo. My Bose has broken on me 5 times from using the random disc changer often. Not a lot to fix it has been great!

CVT needs replacement after 5 years
By bummed about cvt

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

At 60000 the transmission was already having problems. At 70000 miles and 5 years old my transmission needs replacement. While driving for about 10-15 miles, it would have resistance at a stop sign, trying to pull into traffic. I would press the gas pedal and the Murano doesn't want to go, it's scary when I pull into traffic and a car is coming. I love all other features of the Murano, just the CVT stinks. Today my Murano is stuck in the shop and I need $5000-$6000 to replace the transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Nissan needs to back up their name and CVT. I believe a transmission should at least be good up to 100,000 miles, or longer than 5 years.

Looks good, but don't buy one
By Ren

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I guess I got a lemon...Many problems, battery died 2x(covered), back windows rolled down by themselves (2x,luckily nothing stolen), gas door wouldn't open (in costco line), now door locks are "worn"-all three gave out when I took it in for a "free" oil change- coincidence? Nissan will not cover this, because warranty is over. I highly discourage others from purchasing a Nissan.

Favorite Features

wheel based stereo changer

Suggested Improvements

Better customer service, listen to consumer complaints and deal with them so people will return to Nissan satisfied.

Excellent!! Would buy another.
By Jodestr

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I love this car. I have owned three SUVs and this car is the best. 2003 and still looks and runs great. I'm ready to buy a new one!

Favorite Features

Ease of lowering back seats. Ride is amazing!

Suggested Improvements

Second phone jack on drivers side, better designed area for XM Radio/GPS. Add a sunglass holder.

Murano a Great Car
By lcrnext

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

The Murano is a great car to drive. Not too big, not too small. Handles like a car, but has the comfort and space of an SUV. Love the fast acceleration and smooth handling. Interior features are good, too.

Favorite Features

Radion controls on steering wheel, dual heat/air controls, reclining back seats, cargo space

Suggested Improvements

Change the color of the dashboard display backlights, button controls for passenger seat, automatic door lock on gear change