Used 2003 Nissan Murano SL Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Murano - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

Lurching/Acceleration Delay
By whynissan1

2003 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

After taking the vehicle to both the local Nissan dealership and trusted tranny guy - neither could find any problems. Yet when the car is warm and you run into stop & go traffic (I live in So. Cal.) which is a regularity,you will experience the lurch/delay. Luckily no accidents! However, putting it into park and restarting the vehicle seems to "reboot" the problem and it will be okay for a while & then resurface when you least expect it.

It is a fun comfortable car to drive. However, I don't feel safe driving it more recently and am looking for another vehicle.

The 2003 Murano has a transmission problem and after reading multiple sites, it is one that Nissan should address.

Original owner
By Rudy

2003 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Owned 7 years with 50k mi. Still looks good compared to newer cars. Only problems have been gas cap actuator, driver power window motor, garage door opener in rear view mirror and intermittent hesitation problem during stop/start. After dealer performed last recall to replace intake fasteners hesitation problem was cured. Glad it was not transmission. I believe someone posted that Nissan extended the CVT transmission warranty to 10yrs/100k mi. Overall it has gotten me from A to B without any problems but I would have not expected to have these little things break down with such low miles.

Looks, design, comfort.

Better electrical/mechanical parts

Bought Brand New 2003
By abou7alab@gmail.com

2003 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Hi, I bought this car Brand new few days after came out in the market it was a WOW everywhere. I had some problems but thanks God I got the extended warranty when I first bought. biggest problem is LOSS of Power when taking off or accelerating I told the dealer few times but couldn't find the problem, I took it to another dealer they change the o2 sensor and the catalytic converter. all was under warranty it ran me another 20000 miles but now I am facing the same problem. OIL LEAK from the engine, rattling noises from parts inside cabin. cup holders are easy broken. changed visor clips 3 times, change pedal distance adjuster under warranty. cheap leather cracked everywhere

nice looking, sleek design, a lot of room, nice features,

leather, rattling noises , plastics inside cabin are too loose and easy to break,

Best buy ever
By LuvMyMurano

2003 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I was initially lured by the Murano's design, then fell in love with how it drove. I bought it new in January 2004 and have never regretted it. 170,000 miles later I am still impressed with it's reliability and build. I have only paid for routine maintenance, and continue to enjoy consistent performance. No issues with things falling apart or breaking. Friends comment that it is still "like new". Either I got lucky with a perfect car, or the Murano is just close to perfect.

Comfortable and roomy seating. Great sound system. Cavernous hauler when back seats are folded down.

2003 Nissan Murano
By deenah

2003 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have a 2003 that had 20k when I got it in 2007. The entire fuel system failed in my car at 40k in Oct. 2008. I liked the car for some of the + points, but this car has just become worse over time. The driver side visor broke and Nissan wants $350 to fix it, but their own parts employee said that they see this problem all the time/everyday! The car has just under 50k on it, and I think that a problem with the transmission is starting because it loses power from the get go when at a stop. I don't know why Nissan was so shoddy making this car b/c it was suppose to be a unique, sleek SUV.

The color, style, power, and the Bose sound system

The visor, my Bose speaker is already broken on the right side, and a whole lotta engine issues.