Used 2003 Nissan Murano SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Murano - Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Murano

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

Renault is tarnishing Nissan's reliability
By mkh142

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

These Nissans in many respects are Renaults in disguise. Renault has consistently produced unreliable cars for decades and now that they own Nissan, many of Nissans products are suffering. The Nissan Murano looks nice, and has nice features, but it is a reliability disaster as with every other "Renault". They are not designed to last, but instead designed to be "profitable" to the company. I'd reccomended not buying and going for a more reliable brand.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, reliability reliability!

Traded it in
By sdwtchlvr

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I owned a 2003 Murano from 4/06-5/10. Here are a few bullet points. •The SE ride is very rigid...the suspension is supposed to be sport tuned but it is awfully rough and rigid. Had to replace struts at 70K and when I traded it in, a couple of the motor mounts were shot. •The frame on the driver's seat broke, so the window side of the seat sagged down. Did some research and found I was not alone. Nissan wanted to replace the seat at $1500+. No thanks. •The HID head light went out. Bought a replacement bulb for $180. That blew right after putting it in. Bought another one, same thing. Turns out it was the transistor housing for the bulb. Headache. Traded it in for a Camry.

Favorite Features

Interior & Exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality. Should have known when I bought a first year production. Hopefully they improved upon some things over the year.

170,000 in 6 yrs & still going strong!
By Susan

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I was really surprised to read of the problems that others have had with their 2003 Murano. With 170,000+ miles on mine, of course I've had to replace normal wear-out parts, do the brakes, etc, Also had to replace front strut sleeves, but that is the only problem that I have had in 170,000 miles. Love the transmission and I have always done as my salesman advised, "Come to a COMPLETE stop before shifting from reverse to drive - no rolling shifts!" I like mine so much that when I get another 50,000 miles on her (about 1 1/2 years for me), I'm going to get another Murano. I do wish that the back window rolled down, though.

Favorite Features

Roominess: legroom, headroom, and wide width. Xenon headlights.

Suggested Improvements

Back window that rolls down, Audio inputs for external players.

Over Rated Murano
By mikesmurano

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This will we the last Nissan product I ever buy. The Murano is the most over rated car I have ever owned. For the price I payed, I am disgusted with the quality of the car. I care for it well and it's still falling apart! I should have bought a Chevy Tahoe! 1. Failed CVT $6200. 2. Failed door solenoids $450. 3. Leakey sunroof. 4. Bose CD player failed. 5. Power seats have back lash in gear drive. 6. Cup holder arms broke with little pressure. 7. Failed CATYLITIC converter & O2 sensors $1050. 8. Valve cover PCV system clogged $450. 9. Oil leaks & coolant leaks. All of this and I change the oil every 3000 miles. I am a mechanical engineer and check every thing weekly.

Favorite Features

Good interior design & nice leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

Use higher quality materials and better engineer the car. The CVT stinks! It is prone to problems and is unrepairable.

Nissan & Transmissions
By Very Disappointed

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased my Murano after reading numerous Edmunds' reviews. In January of '06 everything I read was positive, yet now I sit with a $5000 estimate to rebuild my transmission on an '03 vehicle that has just tripped 87,000 miles. This is my 2nd Nissan & my 2nd issue with replacing a transmission (the 1st a '92 Maxima with over 150,000 miles). I too have had the issue of putting my foot on the gas and getting no power after a stop in traffic. It's scary, dangerous & frustrating to think I know have to replace a transmission so soon.

Favorite Features

The comfort level and space with kids. Great drive (like a car) and fabulous look for the price.

Suggested Improvements

Nissan needs to go back to the drawing board when it comes to transmissions on all of their vehicles!!!