Used 2003 Nissan Murano Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Murano - Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Murano

View reviews for a specific Murano model:

CVT Transmission/Transfercase/Gaspump
By bgarcia78

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have a 2003 Murano 140,000 miles I have replaced my transfer case three years ago called Nissan for help and got no where with them I had to pay out of pocket $3ooo. Two months after that I have to replace the catalitc converter another big job. Now a month ago I had to replace the gas pump again another big expensive job. But my real problem is my transmission the problem started last summer where after driving the car for about 20 to 30 min and then get into traffic the car starts to hesitate when pressing on the gas I took the car to the dealer w/ no help they told me I had to bring the car when it was happening and this problem doesn't happen all the time. So finally I take it aga

Renault is tarnishing Nissan's reliability
By mkh142

2003 Nissan Murano SE Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

These Nissans in many respects are Renaults in disguise. Renault has consistently produced unreliable cars for decades and now that they own Nissan, many of Nissans products are suffering. The Nissan Murano looks nice, and has nice features, but it is a reliability disaster as with every other "Renault". They are not designed to last, but instead designed to be "profitable" to the company. I'd reccomended not buying and going for a more reliable brand.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, reliability reliability!

Decent car with bad build quality
By umichioe

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I owned this car from 2003 (new) to 2012 (traded) It is comfortable and have good performance. But build quality is bad!!!! 40K: CVT failed. Replace underwarranty. 80K: Power seat failure. Replaced under extended warranty 120K: Transfer case failed. $3200 145K: CVT failed: $4300 150K: Aircon failed. Didn't fix. 150K: Catalytic converter failed. Didn't fix. Traded at 150K

Favorite Features

Good power. Good suspension. Quiet.

Suggested Improvements

Build Quality.

'03 SL AWD 142,000+ mi
By timinmn

2003 Nissan Murano SL AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have owned this since new, went in to buy an Altima, drove out in the Murano. It has been a joy to drive. It has been a reliable vehicle for over 142,000 miles. The only major problem I've had was the transfer case went out at 138,000 ($3000 to fix, still cheaper than a new car). The one flaw I have found is the fuel filler neck rusting and pitting, causing the Check Engine light to come on, I have sanded it down applied LPS3 rust preventor on it we'll see if that lasts.

Favorite Features

CVT, Bose sound system

Suggested Improvements

Better filler neck material

Lurching/Acceleration Delay
By whynissan1

2003 Nissan Murano SL Fwd 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

After taking the vehicle to both the local Nissan dealership and trusted tranny guy - neither could find any problems. Yet when the car is warm and you run into stop & go traffic (I live in So. Cal.) which is a regularity,you will experience the lurch/delay. Luckily no accidents! However, putting it into park and restarting the vehicle seems to "reboot" the problem and it will be okay for a while & then resurface when you least expect it.

Favorite Features

It is a fun comfortable car to drive. However, I don't feel safe driving it more recently and am looking for another vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

The 2003 Murano has a transmission problem and after reading multiple sites, it is one that Nissan should address.