So far I am loving it!
By maxmus12 on
2012 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)
Purchased premium model 6 weeks ago and loving it. Choice was between Maxima, Avalon, ES350, and BMW 3 series. After driving all 4 I had to go with Maxima. For the $ you get allot of options plus I decided to go for something sporty. BMW was close but Max is a little bigger and offers more. The Maxima drives smooth, feels comfortable, the car wants to go fast even when you dont want it to. When driving, the car has a nice pur that gives you that sporty feeling. Throttle response is great. Handles great for sedan. Paddle shifters are fun. Gas however..horrible. I average around 23mpg, 320mi to a tank. If you have fun with the car..you're looking at mid 200mi a tank. Worth it though.
Favorite Features
290hp engine that has a nice punch, at 5k rpm sounds like you're in a 4 door 350z, sound quality from sound system, handling, great design on exterior and interior, get lots of compliments and turns some heads when at the traffic light. Roomy inside for tall people, good for road trips. Love the double moon roof, trunk fits allot. Back up cam. Huge glove box. USB for Ipod.
Suggested Improvements
Air recirculation only works with A/C, you have to manually turn a/c off to use. I mentioned interior looking great, however everything scuffs up easily. When exiting the car if your foot hits the door it leaves a scuff mark and is a pain to remove. Center area (if you get woodgrain) scratches very easily. Side mirrors are long, should offer option to close them in when parking in tight spots. ( I close them manually, looks kinda funny doing that for a 39k car ) I believe Armada's offer this..
By tag12
on 04/20/12 06:01 AM (PDT)

I bought a 2012 Maxima in November 2011 and have the same noise -- always at 30 mph. Prior to buying the 2012, I test drove several 2011's and took one home for the weekend. The 2011 I took home had the same noise (although I do not remember hearing it in the other 2001's I drove). When I mentioned it to the sales people, they thought something was clunking in the trunck. I did not think too much about it until my new 2012 started with the same noise, shortly after I purchased it. Did you ever find out what it is? I have not taken mine in yet.

By maxmus12
on 04/06/12 19:38 PM (PDT)

Hello Maxima fans and possible buyers. 13 week follow up from my last post and wanted to update you on some positive and negatives about the car. To start off, I am still in love with my new Maxima. Still has the new car smell, huge trunk to fit my computer equipment, great stereo sound, comfy on road trips, friends and co-workers love to ride in it, if you need to merge into traffic or pass someone..this car has no problem accomplishing that. AC and cooling seats work very well as well as the steering wheel heater. Now, lets get to some negatives. I dont know how I never caught on to this when I test drove or after buying the car. Guess at first you have the radio on or talking to someone in the car. At 30mph, there is a knock under the car. Just happens once until you place in park then back in Drive, you hear it again right at 30mph. Sometimes its not too noticable, sometimes its a loud bang. Thinking it was CVT I took the car to the dealer. They were not sure what it was but was going with ABS activating at 30mph and not issues with CVT. A co-worker later bought a 2012 Maxima S after I got mine, his does it too. I'm sorry, for the price of this car..if it is ABS..you should not be hearing that. If you test drive a 2012 Maxima and hear that and still want to buy the car, you can take more off the sticker price. I have a black Maxima, very hard to keep clean. The car does not have tire mud guards like most cars have. The guards on this car are built to the body and does not prevent puddle splash or even tire cleaner (from detail shop) it gets all over the side of the Maxima. After leaving detail shop, lots of water from side mirrors, hood area and trunk drizzle out and get all over the car later making you wipe it down because the dry marks show very easily. If you visit a detail shop/car spa, ask if they use air pressure hose to dry hard to reach spots. Otherwise you are paying to get your Max cleaned for nothing. That is about it. Sounds a little bad but I still love my Maxima. I mainly wanted to share the knocking noise with you. If it is legit ABS, knock that sticker price down. If this turns out to be CVT issues..rumors are future Maximas may leave out the CVT. Wait for it. I will write another post towards end of summer 2012.

By daddychoc
on 05/31/12 21:19 PM (PDT)

I had the knocking sound in my 2010 Altima and currently have it in my 2012 Max... glad to know Im not the only one.

By maxmus12
on 04/23/12 18:08 PM (PDT)

Good evening Tag12. I took mine to the dealership to get it checked out. At first everyone there seemed clueless on the noise. After keeping my car for the day the service dept. came to a conclusion it was the ABS system activating itself at 30mph. Kind of makes sense since you only hear it once until you put your car in park again. But I want a second opinion and may hit up another Nissan dealer for answers. I looked for forums online about the noise, not much out there yet. Same with youtube. If you decide to take yours in, I would like to hear what they say. Good luck.