Bad Resale - Buy it if you want to keep it
By don_83 on
2012 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)
I was considering a TSX, TL , Passat V6 and maxima and walked out of the door with $30k for an SV. I thought it was a good deal. I guess not. The car that stickered for $37k is now worth $24k miles with 10k miles on the clock. Its a good car if you want to commute and keep for a while as the car is very reliable, interior materials are above average. CVT is not really responsive until in Ds mode. Seats are good for long drives and offer plenty of room. you get a lot of standard features for $30k . Considering base 3 series and A4 are smaller and slower. Steering feel is very good and precise. spend a little more and get a base TL , better in every way .
Favorite Features
seats, headlights , heated steering wheel
Suggested Improvements
ditch the CVT, get 7 speed auto, more rear legroom , leather on the steering wheel is cheap ,
By mementomori
on 01/01/14 18:27 PM (PST)

The Maxima has excellent resale value, especially for its class.

By jspagna1
on 01/30/13 11:39 AM (PST)

Just my opinion on your comment.My wife had a 2010 TL SH-AWD. I think I liked the car better than she did. She always complained about how big and uncomfortable the car was. And I have to agree with her in that respect. Obviously the best aspect of the car was that it was AWD and it was a tank in the snow. There's no denying that. Well long story short after 2 1/2 years of ownership, she wanted another Maxima. This is our 3rd one and I have to say she absolutely loves the car. She has back problems and she finds the Maxima to be much more comfortable than the TL and a much nicer ride although that would in large part because it doesn't have AWD. The Maxima came with heated steering wheel and a rear sun shade and was still less than the TL. We ended up getting a loaded SV with panoramic roof and the whole 9 yards and it was still less than the TL. To your point we do keep our cars for a long time. The TL was the first car we've ever traded in for another car. That's how bad my wife didn't like the car. You know what they say: happy wife,happy life. Good luck. :)

By don_83
on 02/06/13 13:45 PM (PST)

The Seats in the maxima are one of the best features, I do agree. after looking at the TL , the interior materials are much nicer in the acura than the nissan. Maxima also has a cushy ride but its not nearly as planted as the TL SH AWD. but I am comparing all large FWD sedans, Passat, base TL , Maxima. You should have looked at the base TL , the ride is soft and steering is less firm. I am looking at an S4 and 335xi and G37Xs since those cars just offer best of both worlds.