Used 2012 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

2012 Maxima review
By geo2010maxima

2012 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

My comments only apply to the Maxima with the Premium package - totally different car than the base model - upgraded leather, double moon roof, heated/cooled drivers seat, Xenon headlights, driver seat, mirrors and steering wheel memory, power tilt/telescopic and heated steering wheel, reverse tilting/heated side mirrors, rear window sun screen, USB and Ipod connectivity, etc. - it is a front wheel drive Infinity and since we have winter in Oregon, we need FWD. We had a 2010 previously and the 2012 has significantly reduced torque steer and vastly improved low speed transmission performance - they got the CVT dialed in finally. It is a very comfortable road car for long trips also.

Drivers seat comfort, moon roof, stereo, USB/Ipod connectivity, acceleration, steering, brakes, looks and value. Great ride and very quiet. Nissan discounts sales and leases aggressively on this car so you can get a lot of car for the money. Factory recommends premium fuel, but it runs just fine on the middle grade fuel - Chevron Get 22mpg - city/ freeway combined and 26 MPG on the road

Better OEM tires and higher capacity battery (650) CCA

DONT BUY IT! UNLESS YOU ARE STUCK WITH NISSAN AND HAVE NO OTHER OPTION
By iamjade

2012 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Brand new car, and there is condensation in both side mirror lights. Nissan claims this is normal. This car is beautiful to look. The car is very roomy and is easy to drive in the city (just watch out for the wide turns). On the highway the handling is terrible and a lot of wind noise. I get frustrated when i have to sync my ipod because it doesnt work the 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd time. If you are interested in an Maxima, Please Go check out the Acura TSX/TL, Honda Accord, Lexus ES, Toyota Camry/Avalon.

Exterior aggressive look.

Get a new Nissan design team and come up with a better dashboard to meet the expectation of the exterior aggressiveness look. A lot of wind noise on the highway. It should not be normal for moisture to be in the lights (no excuses).

Bad Resale - Buy it if you want to keep it
By don_83

2012 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I was considering a TSX, TL , Passat V6 and maxima and walked out of the door with $30k for an SV. I thought it was a good deal. I guess not. The car that stickered for $37k is now worth $24k miles with 10k miles on the clock. Its a good car if you want to commute and keep for a while as the car is very reliable, interior materials are above average. CVT is not really responsive until in Ds mode. Seats are good for long drives and offer plenty of room. you get a lot of standard features for $30k . Considering base 3 series and A4 are smaller and slower. Steering feel is very good and precise. spend a little more and get a base TL , better in every way .

seats, headlights , heated steering wheel

ditch the CVT, get 7 speed auto, more rear legroom , leather on the steering wheel is cheap ,

My Wife wants to drive my Maxima, I don't want to driver her Lexus ES 350! :-)
By sunsonshaan07

2012 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

So I just traded up for the 2012 Nissan Maxima here recently at the end of October. I went with a Black/Black 3.5 SV w/. Premium, Premium Tech and Cold Pkgs as well as the Spoiler, Window Tints, Pin Striping, Wheel Locks and Nitrogen filled Tires (I'm in the Dallas, TX area). I traded in my previous car, a 2007 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 w/. about 75k miles (got around $8k back for it) and let me tell you I'm not regretting it one bit. I regretted getting a Korean Car more as with the age, the ESC light started to periodically light up and everytime it did, the evergreen Microsoft methodology came to the rescue (i.e, LOL, Shutdown and reboot). I got sick of it after a while.

1. Bose Audio w/. 2 Subwoofers and Bluetooth Audio Streaming (I stream Pandora and Saavn Radio Apps using this almost daily). 2. The Manual Thigh Support is a huge plus (I'm 5'11" and the seats in my previous were "Dinner Table like" where my Thighs draped down over the front. These seats are far nicer! 3. Spoiler gives the buyer the best of both worlds (Premium feel with the slightly higher profile tires and the Sporty look) 4. Dual Panel Sunroof and Rear Sunshade (I like to have a good amount of top light but on the hotter days, the rear sunglare being blocked definitely helps!)

1. Heated and Cooled Seats for both Front Passenger and Driver as part of the option. Heated Seats for both the rear corner spots. Offer this and you got the Koreans beat! (Not that from an engineering standpoint you didn't in the first place.) 2. Rear Sunshade should move up and down when the Car Transmission is shifted from Drive to Reverse and then back. 3. Memory Seats for Front Passenger 4. Slightly larger Side Mirrors with Power Folding (I've gotten used to the smaller footprint of these mirrors but they could be a little bigger.) 5. Higher Profile Tires for Premium Pkg compared to Sport (There currently isn't much difference between the 18" and 19" Tires. The Side Walls look close.)

Knock Knock
By dfwtexas

2012 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

My 2012 Nissan Maxima also has the knocks at 30 mph...I've had it for 3 months and did not hear it when I first test drove it as well. I have taken it to the dealership and st first they had no clue to what it was...The fleet manager pointed it out that it was the ABS...I totally agree that such a steep price to hear a knock every time is very annoying. I have an appointment with a engineer from Nissan but I have a feeling that is just the way the car is built....We test drove a 2012 with 9 miles and it made the exact same knock at 30.Would love for Nissan to put out a formal report on the issue. I have a feeling it is something that will go wrong sometime down the line.

Love the way the car handles and the get up and go power. Very comfortable and I must admit the best car I have ever owned. Love all the extra zeon lights under car.

Tire mud guards are worthless....I hand wash my car and detail it myself and tire cleaner always splashes on the side of the car..everytime.