Used 2012 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2012 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Bad Resale - Buy it if you want to keep it
By don_83

2012 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I was considering a TSX, TL , Passat V6 and maxima and walked out of the door with $30k for an SV. I thought it was a good deal. I guess not. The car that stickered for $37k is now worth $24k miles with 10k miles on the clock. Its a good car if you want to commute and keep for a while as the car is very reliable, interior materials are above average. CVT is not really responsive until in Ds mode. Seats are good for long drives and offer plenty of room. you get a lot of standard features for $30k . Considering base 3 series and A4 are smaller and slower. Steering feel is very good and precise. spend a little more and get a base TL , better in every way .

Favorite Features

seats, headlights , heated steering wheel

Suggested Improvements

ditch the CVT, get 7 speed auto, more rear legroom , leather on the steering wheel is cheap ,

My Wife wants to drive my Maxima, I don't want to driver her Lexus ES 350! :-)
By sunsonshaan07

2012 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

So I just traded up for the 2012 Nissan Maxima here recently at the end of October. I went with a Black/Black 3.5 SV w/. Premium, Premium Tech and Cold Pkgs as well as the Spoiler, Window Tints, Pin Striping, Wheel Locks and Nitrogen filled Tires (I'm in the Dallas, TX area). I traded in my previous car, a 2007 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 w/. about 75k miles (got around $8k back for it) and let me tell you I'm not regretting it one bit. I regretted getting a Korean Car more as with the age, the ESC light started to periodically light up and everytime it did, the evergreen Microsoft methodology came to the rescue (i.e, LOL, Shutdown and reboot). I got sick of it after a while.

Favorite Features

1. Bose Audio w/. 2 Subwoofers and Bluetooth Audio Streaming (I stream Pandora and Saavn Radio Apps using this almost daily). 2. The Manual Thigh Support is a huge plus (I'm 5'11" and the seats in my previous were "Dinner Table like" where my Thighs draped down over the front. These seats are far nicer! 3. Spoiler gives the buyer the best of both worlds (Premium feel with the slightly higher profile tires and the Sporty look) 4. Dual Panel Sunroof and Rear Sunshade (I like to have a good amount of top light but on the hotter days, the rear sunglare being blocked definitely helps!)

Suggested Improvements

1. Heated and Cooled Seats for both Front Passenger and Driver as part of the option. Heated Seats for both the rear corner spots. Offer this and you got the Koreans beat! (Not that from an engineering standpoint you didn't in the first place.) 2. Rear Sunshade should move up and down when the Car Transmission is shifted from Drive to Reverse and then back. 3. Memory Seats for Front Passenger 4. Slightly larger Side Mirrors with Power Folding (I've gotten used to the smaller footprint of these mirrors but they could be a little bigger.) 5. Higher Profile Tires for Premium Pkg compared to Sport (There currently isn't much difference between the 18" and 19" Tires. The Side Walls look close.)

Knock Knock
By dfwtexas

2012 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

My 2012 Nissan Maxima also has the knocks at 30 mph...I've had it for 3 months and did not hear it when I first test drove it as well. I have taken it to the dealership and st first they had no clue to what it was...The fleet manager pointed it out that it was the ABS...I totally agree that such a steep price to hear a knock every time is very annoying. I have an appointment with a engineer from Nissan but I have a feeling that is just the way the car is built....We test drove a 2012 with 9 miles and it made the exact same knock at 30.Would love for Nissan to put out a formal report on the issue. I have a feeling it is something that will go wrong sometime down the line.

Favorite Features

Love the way the car handles and the get up and go power. Very comfortable and I must admit the best car I have ever owned. Love all the extra zeon lights under car.

Suggested Improvements

Tire mud guards are worthless....I hand wash my car and detail it myself and tire cleaner always splashes on the side of the car..everytime.

LOVIN' it to the MAX
By soccerman1313

2012 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Have about 2000k on my 2012 Maxima. Traded it for a 10 Altima. Boy what a quality difference. Max is much more solid and quiet, faster, comfy, bose is amazing, and just a great car. Looked at similar cars in the class Infinity, BMW, Mercedes but all wouldn't deal much on price. Rolled out with Tech Package and premium for 37k oto. We will see long term how things go but my last 3 rides have been nissan's Titan, Altima, now max. Been reliable and great vehicles. Read almost 100 reviews before buying and so far most the complaints I haven't noticed.

Favorite Features

Bose, Nav, seats, smooth ride and quietness of interior, big kick when pulling out or passing in traffic, Xenon lights. Bluetooth for phone rocks. Much better than using my actual phone. Pretty much like all the main things that come on car. I am 6ft 4 so head and leg room is plenty. Seems to have way more room in back then other cars in class. Trunk is almost as big as my altima. They were smart to move to hydraulics on the trunk to allow more room.

Suggested Improvements

Fog lights should be Xenon. Looks silly to have them dull light with bright headlights. I don't even turn them on anymore. More storage or more ergonomic storage. Hard to put anything in glove box due to iPOD connectors. Only two drink holders so nothing there either. MY titan has mucho storage so feels like they could squeeze more in. Backup sensors would be nice but wouldn't want the look of them on the bumper. There is always little things you want a car to improve on but the max did really well covering the bases.

Six month to decide
By quallsrb

2012 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I took a long look at Avalon, Acura TL and Buick before buying a Nissan Maxima. I was influenced by the sportiness of the car based on son's inputs in comparisons to all 3 other choices. I liked the Avalon a lot but it felt like an old man's car and overly lavish. The Acura TL was great but the trunk was tiny and it would not hold 2 sets of golf clubs. The Buick had lots of possibilities but it just felt to bulkish and not as well thought out. Shaq's commercial made me look at it twice. It is early but performance has been great, wife loves it and gas mileage is much better than the Volvo XC 90 I traded in. I have only bought Volvo's in the past 5 cars but the XC 90 was terrible.

Favorite Features

navigation screen is a great size. Steering is nice could be a bit stiffer like Mercedes or BMW. So far very pleased. Dealership in Gilbert Arizona did a great job getting me to say yes.

Suggested Improvements

SAT radio trial is not clearly understood to activate. Proximity alarm when backing up or pulling into a parking spot would be nice to avoid potential bumping or scraping another vehicle. More sound deadening, the Avalon was great! Radio scanning from the steering wheel could be made more clear. Phone blue tooth is great with I phone but so many features will take time to learn and have lost some calls as a result of figuring out how to control it. Back seat or navigation movie watching or plug into a video would be nice especially for the back seat. Warranty could be explained better and the term and value could be priced better especially if you keep a car for 10 years like me.