Used 2012 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2012 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Nice vehicle overall with the technology package.
By jmn5467

2012 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Bought mine new in early 2012 - it's an SV Premium with Tech Package (basically the most expensive sedan the Nissan dealer had on the lot). Overall I'd say I'm happy with no major problems, although this thing was expensive for a Nissan (paid somewhere around $35k). I am so happy I sprung for the tech package as I would have regretted not getting it.

Favorite Features

The high-resolution info screen that comes with the tech packaage was reason enough for me to spring for the tech/nav (even though I rarely use the nav). In my mind, if I'm gonna look at this screen every single day I want it to be the high-res one and not the cheap looking one in the non-tech models (or the laughable "Atari" display in the base model). The Bluetooth audio and iPhone/iPod integration was nice for the year (pretty standard now). Cooled seat is fantastic. I leave it on all summer - I hate having a sweaty butt/back on leather seats and this is just the ticket for preventing that. Tech package stereo sounds great. One of the best sounding factory stereos I've heard.

Suggested Improvements

Wish the car was just a little bit bigger in all dimensions. Rear seat is fairly tight - fine for kids but if you routinely have adults back there (I don't) I wouldn't recommend this car. If I would have had the choice I would have not gotten the dual panel sunroof. I rarely open it and don't really like the flimsy cloth covers that cover the front/back sunroofs - they flop around if you have the windows open on a windy day. I thought about getting the Sport package (instead of premium) but that supposedly has a stiffer suspension which I didn't really want. My driver's seat did develop a small rip in it which I've taped. Unsure how it got there or if it's common.

Still have my Max- follow up review
By maxmus12

2012 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Following up from my last review April 2012. Today the car has 45k miles & still loving it. The wear and tear is holding up well. Leather seats still in great shape. In my first review I mentioned bad gas mileage. Honestly it is no different than the average V6 sedan with 3.5L engine. I took the car on a 570 mile one way road trip and gas mileage was not that bad. In my latest ratings, I knocked value score down. At 45k miles this car should be worth more than 19k. Still dealing with knock noise at 30mph. When running AC sitting at stop light or traffic the RPM idles lower than normal. Dealership said that is normal with compressor kicking in. Um..yeah. Still love my Maxima though.

Favorite Features

Car still has a nice punch. I have taken on CTS (base 3.6), Monte Carlo, Impala, 328i, TL, TSX, Accord V6, Optima GDI, IS250, and other Maximas (using DS mode) and this SV puts up a great fight. No mods installed, just K&N filter and still using premium gas. My friend starting using mid grade gas in her 11 Maxima, I suggest sticking with premium. Never smoked in my car, still has new car and leather smell. Controls, steering wheel buttons easy to use. Side mirrors fold down when using reverse which is nice. The 2016 redesigned Maxima is coming out this summer and the car looks amazing. Hoping to see great reviews from the new lineup.

Suggested Improvements

Really can't say much seeing the 2016 redesign is about to hit the streets. I hope the 2016 Max does not deal with knocking noise at 30mph. The knocking noise happens once in mine until you place the car back in park. The AC issue I mentioned above.. The AC still works..when in drive and sitting in traffic or stop light, the RPM drops to where it feels like the car is about to stall. Normal? No. Took the car in while under warranty and dealership said no problems found. Warranty expired yet I purchased extended warranty so we'll see if that comes in handy. No major work done to my car. Follow needed maintenance plans and car will do well. Hope my review helps you.

Good bang for the buck
By gapari

2012 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I am leasing a 2012 SV, with one year left. I like this car is many ways - engine power, handling, interior styling and quality, exterior styling. I'm very happy with my color choice - white exterior w/ rich looking tan leather interior. I would be hard pressed to find a comparable car with this balance of luxury and performance, at this price point. Interested to see what the 2015 will look like, as I probably will lease another. Hope the MSRP doesn't spike!

Favorite Features

Too many to list. Here's a few. Stylish wheels, rearview camera, Bluetooth, Bose stereo, comfortable seats, decent size trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Fit and Finish: The front fender seams on either side of the hood don't align very well. Probably due to poor design and plastic meeting metal. Color is slightly off on rear plastic areas, probably more noticeable due to white paint finish. Experienced a slight paint chip on the plastic. Performance and ride: Torque steer still needs to be tamed down, as well as road noise.

Knock at low speed.
By rajacars

2012 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I Hear a knock at low speed, its one time after you start and move the car. It looks that nissan doesn't car enough to fix this issue. hoping that nissan takes this issue serious, as Maxima is nissan's flagship sedan. if the reputation is spoiled its difficult to gain it back.

2012 Maxima review
By geo2010maxima

2012 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

My comments only apply to the Maxima with the Premium package - totally different car than the base model - upgraded leather, double moon roof, heated/cooled drivers seat, Xenon headlights, driver seat, mirrors and steering wheel memory, power tilt/telescopic and heated steering wheel, reverse tilting/heated side mirrors, rear window sun screen, USB and Ipod connectivity, etc. - it is a front wheel drive Infinity and since we have winter in Oregon, we need FWD. We had a 2010 previously and the 2012 has significantly reduced torque steer and vastly improved low speed transmission performance - they got the CVT dialed in finally. It is a very comfortable road car for long trips also.

Favorite Features

Drivers seat comfort, moon roof, stereo, USB/Ipod connectivity, acceleration, steering, brakes, looks and value. Great ride and very quiet. Nissan discounts sales and leases aggressively on this car so you can get a lot of car for the money. Factory recommends premium fuel, but it runs just fine on the middle grade fuel - Chevron Get 22mpg - city/ freeway combined and 26 MPG on the road

Suggested Improvements

Better OEM tires and higher capacity battery (650) CCA