2012 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:
Good bang for the buck
By gapari on 03/01/14 10:40 AM (PST)

2012 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I am leasing a 2012 SV, with one year left. I like this car is many ways - engine power, handling, interior styling and quality, exterior styling. I'm very happy with my color choice - white exterior w/ rich looking tan leather interior. I would be hard pressed to find a comparable car with this balance of luxury and performance, at this price point. Interested to see what the 2015 will look like, as I probably will lease another. Hope the MSRP doesn't spike!

Knock at low speed.
By rajacars on 07/19/13 13:03 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I Hear a knock at low speed, its one time after you start and move the car. It looks that nissan doesn't car enough to fix this issue. hoping that nissan takes this issue serious, as Maxima is nissan's flagship sedan. if the reputation is spoiled its difficult to gain it back.

2012 Maxima review
By geo2010maxima on 04/07/13 03:45 AM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

My comments only apply to the Maxima with the Premium package - totally different car than the base model - upgraded leather, double moon roof, heated/cooled drivers seat, Xenon headlights, driver seat, mirrors and steering wheel memory, power tilt/telescopic and heated steering wheel, reverse tilting/heated side mirrors, rear window sun screen, USB and Ipod connectivity, etc. - it is a front wheel drive Infinity and since we have winter in Oregon, we need FWD. We had a 2010 previously and the 2012 has significantly reduced torque steer and vastly improved low speed transmission performance - they got the CVT dialed in finally. It is a very comfortable road car for long trips also.

DONT BUY IT! UNLESS YOU ARE STUCK WITH NISSAN AND HAVE NO OTHER OPTION
By iamjade on 03/29/13 13:30 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Brand new car, and there is condensation in both side mirror lights. Nissan claims this is normal. This car is beautiful to look. The car is very roomy and is easy to drive in the city (just watch out for the wide turns). On the highway the handling is terrible and a lot of wind noise. I get frustrated when i have to sync my ipod because it doesnt work the 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd time. If you are interested in an Maxima, Please Go check out the Acura TSX/TL, Honda Accord, Lexus ES, Toyota Camry/Avalon.

Bad Resale - Buy it if you want to keep it
By don_83 on 01/23/13 15:17 PM (PST)

2012 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I was considering a TSX, TL , Passat V6 and maxima and walked out of the door with $30k for an SV. I thought it was a good deal. I guess not. The car that stickered for $37k is now worth $24k miles with 10k miles on the clock. Its a good car if you want to commute and keep for a while as the car is very reliable, interior materials are above average. CVT is not really responsive until in Ds mode. Seats are good for long drives and offer plenty of room. you get a lot of standard features for $30k . Considering base 3 series and A4 are smaller and slower. Steering feel is very good and precise. spend a little more and get a base TL , better in every way .

My Wife wants to drive my Maxima, I don't want to driver her Lexus ES 350! :-)
By sunsonshaan07 on 11/02/12 10:40 AM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

So I just traded up for the 2012 Nissan Maxima here recently at the end of October. I went with a Black/Black 3.5 SV w/. Premium, Premium Tech and Cold Pkgs as well as the Spoiler, Window Tints, Pin Striping, Wheel Locks and Nitrogen filled Tires (I'm in the Dallas, TX area). I traded in my previous car, a 2007 Hyundai Sonata Limited V6 w/. about 75k miles (got around $8k back for it) and let me tell you I'm not regretting it one bit. I regretted getting a Korean Car more as with the age, the ESC light started to periodically light up and everytime it did, the evergreen Microsoft methodology came to the rescue (i.e, LOL, Shutdown and reboot). I got sick of it after a while.

Knock Knock
By dfwtexas on 10/12/12 15:06 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

My 2012 Nissan Maxima also has the knocks at 30 mph...I've had it for 3 months and did not hear it when I first test drove it as well. I have taken it to the dealership and st first they had no clue to what it was...The fleet manager pointed it out that it was the ABS...I totally agree that such a steep price to hear a knock every time is very annoying. I have an appointment with a engineer from Nissan but I have a feeling that is just the way the car is built....We test drove a 2012 with 9 miles and it made the exact same knock at 30.Would love for Nissan to put out a formal report on the issue. I have a feeling it is something that will go wrong sometime down the line.

LOVIN' it to the MAX
By soccerman1313 on 08/31/12 13:31 PM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Have about 2000k on my 2012 Maxima. Traded it for a 10 Altima. Boy what a quality difference. Max is much more solid and quiet, faster, comfy, bose is amazing, and just a great car. Looked at similar cars in the class Infinity, BMW, Mercedes but all wouldn't deal much on price. Rolled out with Tech Package and premium for 37k oto. We will see long term how things go but my last 3 rides have been nissan's Titan, Altima, now max. Been reliable and great vehicles. Read almost 100 reviews before buying and so far most the complaints I haven't noticed.

Six month to decide
By quallsrb on 08/09/12 01:23 AM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I took a long look at Avalon, Acura TL and Buick before buying a Nissan Maxima. I was influenced by the sportiness of the car based on son's inputs in comparisons to all 3 other choices. I liked the Avalon a lot but it felt like an old man's car and overly lavish. The Acura TL was great but the trunk was tiny and it would not hold 2 sets of golf clubs. The Buick had lots of possibilities but it just felt to bulkish and not as well thought out. Shaq's commercial made me look at it twice. It is early but performance has been great, wife loves it and gas mileage is much better than the Volvo XC 90 I traded in. I have only bought Volvo's in the past 5 cars but the XC 90 was terrible.

shame on nissan
By gemini23 on 07/28/12 10:58 AM (PDT)

2012 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Am leasing 2012 maxima sport after turning in my 2009..Shame on Nissan! The 2009 Maxima was all class inside & out.Appealed to young & old alike. Handling was exceptional as well. I don't know what Nissan was thinking when they changed this once beautiful car.What made the car an eye-catcher,a pleasure to drive and to own is now gone. Smaller interior, no real room for a third person in the back,extremely uncomfortable for rear passengers.Exterior..smaller lights, smaller sloping hood, smaller rear light fin. Smaller everything. No longer catches the eye & no handling improvements (as claimed) that I see.Obviously gearing toward younger generation. What was once a class car in now just a car

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Nissan Maxima Sedan in VA is:

$175 per month*