Used 2012 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2012 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Still have my Max- follow up review
By maxmus12

2012 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Following up from my last review April 2012. Today the car has 45k miles & still loving it. The wear and tear is holding up well. Leather seats still in great shape. In my first review I mentioned bad gas mileage. Honestly it is no different than the average V6 sedan with 3.5L engine. I took the car on a 570 mile one way road trip and gas mileage was not that bad. In my latest ratings, I knocked value score down. At 45k miles this car should be worth more than 19k. Still dealing with knock noise at 30mph. When running AC sitting at stop light or traffic the RPM idles lower than normal. Dealership said that is normal with compressor kicking in. Um..yeah. Still love my Maxima though.

Favorite Features

Car still has a nice punch. I have taken on CTS (base 3.6), Monte Carlo, Impala, 328i, TL, TSX, Accord V6, Optima GDI, IS250, and other Maximas (using DS mode) and this SV puts up a great fight. No mods installed, just K&N filter and still using premium gas. My friend starting using mid grade gas in her 11 Maxima, I suggest sticking with premium. Never smoked in my car, still has new car and leather smell. Controls, steering wheel buttons easy to use. Side mirrors fold down when using reverse which is nice. The 2016 redesigned Maxima is coming out this summer and the car looks amazing. Hoping to see great reviews from the new lineup.

Suggested Improvements

Really can't say much seeing the 2016 redesign is about to hit the streets. I hope the 2016 Max does not deal with knocking noise at 30mph. The knocking noise happens once in mine until you place the car back in park. The AC issue I mentioned above.. The AC still works..when in drive and sitting in traffic or stop light, the RPM drops to where it feels like the car is about to stall. Normal? No. Took the car in while under warranty and dealership said no problems found. Warranty expired yet I purchased extended warranty so we'll see if that comes in handy. No major work done to my car. Follow needed maintenance plans and car will do well. Hope my review helps you.

Good bang for the buck
By gapari

2012 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I am leasing a 2012 SV, with one year left. I like this car is many ways - engine power, handling, interior styling and quality, exterior styling. I'm very happy with my color choice - white exterior w/ rich looking tan leather interior. I would be hard pressed to find a comparable car with this balance of luxury and performance, at this price point. Interested to see what the 2015 will look like, as I probably will lease another. Hope the MSRP doesn't spike!

Favorite Features

Too many to list. Here's a few. Stylish wheels, rearview camera, Bluetooth, Bose stereo, comfortable seats, decent size trunk.

Suggested Improvements

Fit and Finish: The front fender seams on either side of the hood don't align very well. Probably due to poor design and plastic meeting metal. Color is slightly off on rear plastic areas, probably more noticeable due to white paint finish. Experienced a slight paint chip on the plastic. Performance and ride: Torque steer still needs to be tamed down, as well as road noise.

2012 Maxima review
By geo2010maxima

2012 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

My comments only apply to the Maxima with the Premium package - totally different car than the base model - upgraded leather, double moon roof, heated/cooled drivers seat, Xenon headlights, driver seat, mirrors and steering wheel memory, power tilt/telescopic and heated steering wheel, reverse tilting/heated side mirrors, rear window sun screen, USB and Ipod connectivity, etc. - it is a front wheel drive Infinity and since we have winter in Oregon, we need FWD. We had a 2010 previously and the 2012 has significantly reduced torque steer and vastly improved low speed transmission performance - they got the CVT dialed in finally. It is a very comfortable road car for long trips also.

Favorite Features

Drivers seat comfort, moon roof, stereo, USB/Ipod connectivity, acceleration, steering, brakes, looks and value. Great ride and very quiet. Nissan discounts sales and leases aggressively on this car so you can get a lot of car for the money. Factory recommends premium fuel, but it runs just fine on the middle grade fuel - Chevron Get 22mpg - city/ freeway combined and 26 MPG on the road

Suggested Improvements

Better OEM tires and higher capacity battery (650) CCA

DONT BUY IT! UNLESS YOU ARE STUCK WITH NISSAN AND HAVE NO OTHER OPTION
By iamjade

2012 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Brand new car, and there is condensation in both side mirror lights. Nissan claims this is normal. This car is beautiful to look. The car is very roomy and is easy to drive in the city (just watch out for the wide turns). On the highway the handling is terrible and a lot of wind noise. I get frustrated when i have to sync my ipod because it doesnt work the 1st, 2nd, or even 3rd time. If you are interested in an Maxima, Please Go check out the Acura TSX/TL, Honda Accord, Lexus ES, Toyota Camry/Avalon.

Favorite Features

Exterior aggressive look.

Suggested Improvements

Get a new Nissan design team and come up with a better dashboard to meet the expectation of the exterior aggressiveness look. A lot of wind noise on the highway. It should not be normal for moisture to be in the lights (no excuses).

Bad Resale - Buy it if you want to keep it
By don_83

2012 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I was considering a TSX, TL , Passat V6 and maxima and walked out of the door with $30k for an SV. I thought it was a good deal. I guess not. The car that stickered for $37k is now worth $24k miles with 10k miles on the clock. Its a good car if you want to commute and keep for a while as the car is very reliable, interior materials are above average. CVT is not really responsive until in Ds mode. Seats are good for long drives and offer plenty of room. you get a lot of standard features for $30k . Considering base 3 series and A4 are smaller and slower. Steering feel is very good and precise. spend a little more and get a base TL , better in every way .

Favorite Features

seats, headlights , heated steering wheel

Suggested Improvements

ditch the CVT, get 7 speed auto, more rear legroom , leather on the steering wheel is cheap ,