Rattles
By nissan_maxim on
2011 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)
Love everything about the car except the rattles. I hear one above the steering column. There is one on the plastic piece that has all the temperature and radio buttons. I hear one over by the passenger side where the seat belt is located. Of course these rattles come and go. I took it to the dealer who appearently fixed a rattle but I couldn't tell. Also said that the rattle where the radio butttons were couldn't be fixed yet they somehow made the rattle louder. You also can actually see my passenger seat vibrate as I'm driving although the wife doesn't mind it:)
Favorite Features
Like I rated it, the car looks great inside and out. I like the sports car engine (loud). Seats are very comfortable. Have a 3 year old and an infant. Backseat is big enough for the older one but the rear facing infant seat (Chicco) is a problem if you need the front seats pushed back (I'm 5'10" and I need to move the seat forward a little more than I like to accomodate.
Suggested Improvements
My gas mileage is around 18mpg. A little lower than I expected (using premium fuel). With a car that vibrates a lot you would think Nissan would make a more solid interior. My automatic windows only go down with one push of the button. You need to hold the button up for them to go up (my 2004 Maxima didn't have this problem). One other minor thing, 1 out of 8 times my steering column and seat don't adjust properly when I turn the car on (I have to shut the car off and turn it back on again). The motor is trying to adjust to the proper position but it just gets stuck.
By tmac4718
on 04/07/12 15:43 PM (PDT)

You will find my reviews of my 2011 Premium SV package on edmunds as well. Rattles up the wazzu!! In the rear mine were in the headliner behind the rear sunfroof. Mostly fixed after 2 times to the dealer. Another big rattle was in the left rear pillar. Dealer fixed it, NOT. I tore apart the inside pillar fabric and stuffed a towel in between areas to kill the rattle. I had a rattle where the front windshield meets the dash near the center speaker, dealer fixed that one. Had a bracket that apparently broke or came loose in center audio column, another rattle that they fixed. I have recently hear the steering column rattle come and go. My drivers side window was rubbing the rubber seals that drove me nuts. Fixed so far with silicone spray. My softer winter tires made the rattles dissappear but now my summer tires are bringing things back to life. POS car that I love but will never buy another nissan product because of poor structural rigidity and the massive rattle box. Only 21k miles and can't wait to see what the next 20k brings.

By juskishi
on 02/29/12 12:05 PM (PST)

sounds like you're writing a review of my 2011 3.5 SV. i've got the premium package and love the car overall except these noises. i have the exact same cracking noise from the radio console, the rear window noise and the passenger seat vibration. other than that, my only complaint is the nav system and voice recognition for bluetooth. my nav app on my phone finds places easier and you can't (not that i know of) just say a city like "cleveland" for a destination, it's have to be an address or place. the place searching is troublesome as well. it's actually good to know it's not just me that is hearing these noises.

By ufgator_meche
on 07/08/12 14:32 PM (PDT)

The rattles on the passenger side that you hear is the seat belt. It happens on the driver side too if you are not careful to guide the seatbelt buckle back to a perfect downright position. If you have other passengers sometimes in that seat, the belt buckle doesn't come back to rest in the best position. So, as you drive and hit bumps, it makes a rattling noise. This can be fixed by using something to hold the buckle to rest higher on the belt when it is not in use. I have not done anything to fix it. I just straighten the belt when I get in the car if someone else has ridden there. Noise overhead and what sounds to be in the back seat is actually the moonroof fabric. Check out Maxima.org and search your issues for more details. Other folks have tracked these down and fixed them. Overall, I love what Nissan did with this car. Look at your pillars. They are real fabric. Look in other similar cars: they are plastic with the same pattern. The dash has a softer covering. Other cars in this class are plastic.