Just OK
By petemck on
2011 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)
I bought a 2011 SV with Premium package in February. I previously owned a 1998 Maxima SE 5speed manual that I bought new. This new Max has better steering but the CVT in automatic mode is awful and the torque steer at higher speed (75-85mph) is dangerous. My dealer experience also left a lot to be desired.
Favorite Features
The CVT in manual mode changes (faux) gears very quickly. The suspension is plenty firm and confidence inspiring but not too harsh. The bluetooth and music hard-drive are easy to set up. I like the driving controls, cabin features and layout, these are excellent.
Suggested Improvements
Get rid of the CVT and go to a 6 or 7 speed dual clutch transmission. Passing slower cars at speeds around 75mph can be dangerous, when the auto downshifts the steering can pull to one side, this doesn't happen under acceleration at lower speeds. The cabin is too isolated like most modern cars, I don't get the same feel when I drive it fast like my old '98. The back seat is small for such a big car, my 4 and 7 year old are constantly hitting the back seat, this never happened in my '98 Max. The stereo speakers, while it has many more than my old Max, it doesn't sound as good.