Used 2011 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Passenger airbag light malfunction
By jlwood

2011 Nissan Maxima 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased my 2011 Nissan Maxima in November 2011. I have had an issue with the passenger side airbag light on with an adult in the seat. I have taken the car to the dealership on numberous occasions and was told it was normal. I called Nissan and talked with some named Tim, he took my information over the phone and said he would get back with me in a few days. He called my husband and told him the seat was functioning properly, that the adults weren't sitting in the seat properly. I called him back with no response. How can they say it is functioning properly no one at Nissan or the dealership will ride in the car with me so I can show them what the car is doing. Very disappointed..

I love the way the car drives.

Correct the problem with the airbag on the passenger side of the car. If I can't get a resolution soon, I will trade the car in that I love for something else. I can't see putting myself or my family and friends in danger because Nissan refuses to fix a $500.00 seat.

Passenger airbag light malfunction
By gdoucet

2011 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased my '11 Maxima new on 03/31/2011 and have had an issue with the passenger side airbag light coming on with an adult passenger in the seat. When the light is on, it reflects that the airbag is in the 'off' position. I have brought the problem to my dealer's attention, Giles Nissan, Lafayette, LA ever since my first 3,750 oil change service, and was given a variety of reasons. At first the dealer could not locate the trouble then I was told that it was normal. I finally brought my wife with me and rode with a service tech who witnessed the problem. Since then, different techs at different times have experienced the light on, however the issue has not yet been resolved.

The design, styling and performance are great.

Although the rear camera is useful, I wish rear sensors were available as well. More room between the front seats and doors would help make the retractable seatbelts more accessible; it's really tight and very hard to reach the seatbelts.

Overall a great car!
By juskishi

2011 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have a 2011 Maxima with premium package and overall I absolutely love this car. I moved up from my 2009 Altima SL and couldn't be much happier. The only problems are interior noises from the radio/climate console (which i think could use a redesign), what sounds like the rear window, and vibration and noise from the front passenger seat when unoccupied. The noises seem to be worse when it's colder out and I haven't owned it during the summer yet so I'm hoping to see a reduction of the noise soon. Other than that, I feel the nav and voice recognition system do not work very well. Otherwise, the look and feel of the rest of the car is great and think it's a great car for the price.

Exterior design is amazing, I think it's one of the best looking sedans on the road. It has great acceleration and handles really well. Smooth driving even at high speeds. Interior is refined and love the small details (like secondary color stitching).

First and foremost, fix the noise problems. Paying a good amount of money for a car that has cracking noises. I would redesign the center console in a couple of ways. One, redo the radio and climate controls, I don't like the semi-attached rounded knobs and also bring the console down so it is one piece with the center shift control and armrest unit. Upgrade the voice recognition for phone and nav system. Allow for simple things like search by city name instead of needing a physical address. Lastly, put in a sunglasses holder.

Rattles
By nissan_maxim

2011 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Love everything about the car except the rattles. I hear one above the steering column. There is one on the plastic piece that has all the temperature and radio buttons. I hear one over by the passenger side where the seat belt is located. Of course these rattles come and go. I took it to the dealer who appearently fixed a rattle but I couldn't tell. Also said that the rattle where the radio butttons were couldn't be fixed yet they somehow made the rattle louder. You also can actually see my passenger seat vibrate as I'm driving although the wife doesn't mind it:)

Like I rated it, the car looks great inside and out. I like the sports car engine (loud). Seats are very comfortable. Have a 3 year old and an infant. Backseat is big enough for the older one but the rear facing infant seat (Chicco) is a problem if you need the front seats pushed back (I'm 5'10" and I need to move the seat forward a little more than I like to accomodate.

My gas mileage is around 18mpg. A little lower than I expected (using premium fuel). With a car that vibrates a lot you would think Nissan would make a more solid interior. My automatic windows only go down with one push of the button. You need to hold the button up for them to go up (my 2004 Maxima didn't have this problem). One other minor thing, 1 out of 8 times my steering column and seat don't adjust properly when I turn the car on (I have to shut the car off and turn it back on again). The motor is trying to adjust to the proper position but it just gets stuck.

Rattles and more.
By wayne4al

2011 Nissan Maxima 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This car has more ratttles than a babies crib! I can't even find them all. I can't open the sun roof it rattles so bad. I have one coming from the back some where. There are others. The seats belts scratch up the inside of the passager sides. I also have a strong gasoline odor at times. Car is on its way to the shop.

• SUV