Used 2011 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2011 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

CVT Technology and the 2011 Maxima SV
By labower

2011 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

The 2011 Maxima SV is an overall great car. Not only is the sports sedan great for people with kids who just can't bring themselves to travel around in a minivan, but it handles well, gets great gas mileage, and makes driving less of a chore and more of an adventure. Really, I love to find an excuse, any excuse, to drive this car. And it has plenty of room in the trunk for groceries, and for my large dog (who has not quite gotten used to the fact that we no longer have a hatchback vehicle and she can't just ride in there). I don't know how I survived without a dual sunroof, heated and cooled seats, or a heated steering wheel. And the pickup...when you press the gas, it GOES.

Favorite Features

I have to admit, I'm all about the cosmetic aspects. However, this is probably the fastest vehicle I have ever had. I really like the lack of hesitation when you accelerate, it takes curves well, it is just overall a fun vehicle to drive - and you look good doing it! MPG is great; I drive roughly 300 miles/week city/highway and only have to fill up once a week. Premium is recommended, but not required, which gives you some flexibility there for the times you may be a little shorter on cash.

Suggested Improvements

Please, either fix or get rid of the CVT technology. Nissan knows it is a problem in several of their vehicles during previous years, but will not admit that the 2011 Maximas have issues, too. At 76,000 miles I found myself replacing (yes, replacing) my transmission. I contacted corporate multiple times, but Nissan refused to admit that anything was wrong with their product, leaving me to fight with my aftermarket warranty company to cover the $3400 replacement cost. If you choose to purchase a Maxima, whether new OR used/certified preowned, do yourself a favor and make sure you've got money in the bank to cover a transmission, because chances are, you're going to need it prematurely!

My 2011 Maxima
By davejohnky

2011 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I've had it long enough to ensure a quantify review. I've had no issues with anything in or in the car. Mine is maxed out and is a pure pleasure to drive. No Mechanical issues whatsoever. My has the sport suspension so its a bit bumpy on poor roads, on good roads its a dream. The Trans in this car is not for performance, its to save on gas, its NOT a sports car regardless of what Nissan says, cvt cant be a sports transmission. I find myself using the paddle shifters much of the time.

Favorite Features

Interior is really good, and exterior makes for one beautiful car.

Suggested Improvements

If Nissan would put 4x drive in these cars they would sell many more. Improve or replace the transmission with the one the Infiniti comes with. Better yet, put the Infiniti power plant and drive train in this baby and watch sales skyrocket. Because of the nearly 300 hp, torque steering is an issue. 4x drive would fix this. Put more clear coat on the front, bugs and rocks play hell with the front.

Not perfect, but is still Nissans 4DSC
By stracer82

2011 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I bought my 2011 SV Sport right as the 2012s were coming out so I got a decent deal. I was really looking at Infiniti G37s but those dealers werent negotiating. The sport package is the best looking version, IMO due to the 19 inch wheels and smoked headlights, and its equipped with some of the extra goodies I would have wanted anyways. As of 9/17/12, I am just shy of 7000 miles on the odo.

Favorite Features

What I like about this car is the comfortable seats, compliant ride, and pretty good MPGS for a nearly 300hp car. The styling is a bit polarizing but at least nothing else really looks like it.

Suggested Improvements

I do have some quips. The tires Nissan chose are an absolute shame. Goodyear RSAs are the cheapest 19 inch tire they could find. If the car sits for more than 1 day, the front tires get flat spots and shake the steering wheel for several miles. My driver side mirror has already been replaced due to a malfuncion, and there was a clicking sound that was coming from the drivetrain early on which went away after a dealer visit. But, they claimed they didnt hear anything. The paint quality & it's resistance to swirls is somewhat dubious. I would have been willing to give up a couple MPG with a conventional automatic verses the CVT. Finally, why is Nissans "flagship" smaller than an Altima?

Dual Sun Roof Disaster
By sbottari

2011 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Nothing but problems with my 2011 dual sun (or moon) roof. Last summer car was brand new and in the shop of a month. Well summer is here again and the car is back in the shop. I'm not sure if its the tracks that have a problem when they get heated by the sun but I feel like I got a real lemon. Everything including the roof lining interior has already been replaced once. Here we go again ;-(

Favorite Features

Sound System - cooled seat

Suggested Improvements

heated knob on shift and fit the roof engineering

No better deal
By ufgator_meche

2011 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Just a smooth ride! Love this car. Don't have any issues. My AC is super cold, love my cooled driver seat, no rattles, bluetooth is smart. It recognizes who gets in the car more, me or my wife, and automatically connects to the most frequent driver. This car has THE BEST stock stereo I have ever had. The BOSE is awesome. You really don't know how good it is until you turn it up to just two or three bars below max volume and set the equalizer like you want. I am a spirited driver. My main car is a Mustang GT. This car has plenty of power. More torque steer as my tires wear and get older. But the handling is still superb. Suspension is tight but smooth.

Favorite Features

Exit system, Radio, sunroof, power, handling, sun shade, back-up system, more

Suggested Improvements

Drive the car testing more. Deal with the rattles and simple things to fix that people complain about.