Used 2010 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Miles aint nothing but numbers on 2010 sv...
By BFREE

2010 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

212k plus and no issues whatsoever. I just changed the original struts, shocks and control arms (worn out) at 210k. I have done the maintanance (pretty much) as reccommended by Nissan and I have been rewarded with supurb reliability. CVT fluid change is expensive at $300 but, I have had no reliability issues with it. Oil changes with regular 5w30 every 5000 miles. The car still drives excellent the engine is as strong as ever,even though it has never had a tuneup. I'm going to do one just because I think I should, though no issues with power and performance. I would prefer a dual clutch automatic over the CVT, but the engine power at any speed amkes the CVT a non issue. I drove a four cylinder Altima CVT and hated it, but it works well with the V6. I wish the car had a little more top end perfomance at high speeds (over 100), but I rarely have a safe opportunity to drive that fast so no issue. I have the mid level SV with with leather. I have had lesser cars with leather that didnt fade like my caffe latte front seats have, also the vinyl around the outside of the seats and on the arm rest has started to crack. I know the premium trim is supposed to have higher quality leather, but why??? If it's leather it should all be of high quality with higher trims maybe having a better grain. The cupholders should have removable rubber inserts as any spills require cleanup directlyi the cupholder. Original equoptment tires were trash in rain and snow. Once I bought better tires rain and snow handling were very good. The car actually hydroplaned when new on the original tires. Handling is great, though I wish the ride was a little less firm and more sound deadening would be nice.

5 years, 125k miles
By John

2010 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I owned Maxima 2000 and got 260k out of it; died due to New England salt and rust. 2010: It took a while to get used to CVT but the car retains great acceleration with a different feel. Very pleased with 27mpg mixed driving. The major moving part I replaced was one of the bearings at about 110k. The replacement resulted in the care decelerating less when not on the gas pedal. The drive train has proven reliable. Bose stereo is outstanding. Sunroof never leaks. Emergency handling is stellar. Braking is solid although unremarkable; no diving. Rain and snow are handling are mostly dependent upon tire choices. Headlights not as illuminating as my wife's Honda Odyssey 2012 for reasons I don't understand. Bose stereo is 'da bomb.' I use synthetic oil - change every 10k. Leather holding up well. Will definitely buy another but it will probably be at least another 5 years.

Don't warranty to be approved.
By tbeard0902

2010 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I own a 2010 Nissan Maxima. I took it to Gray Daniels Nissan in Brandon MS for a warranty claim on the driver seat back. The pins on the seat back had broken and thus the back was laying on the rear seat. The claim was denied by the service manager in Aug. 2012 and again in January 2013 and again by Nissan Customer Care. The reason for not approving the warranty was that their was physical damage. However, they agreed there were no tears, scuffs, marks, or scratches of any kind on the seat or seat back. Thus the very reason we came to Nissan was for warranty of the broken pins and the reason we were denied warranty was that the pin were broken. WOW!

Fix the seat backs so that the pins don't break....or warranty the broken pins!

Superb vehicle and value
By cme4brain

2010 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This is my wife's car but I drive it mostly. I have owned 2 Benzes, 2 BMW's, 2 Volvo's, and this is the best of all them. This car has the style and horsepower that betters all of those vehicles. The interior quality and transmission are excellent. Its driving feel is just a tick below the Germans, but its reliability is head and shoulders above them- all my German cars cost me $$$$ to keep on the road. And watch for $300 M-B oil changes! Nope, this is a wonderful car.

Exterior styling, seat comfort, horsepower, CVT transmission, A/C. There is no reason to by the Infiniti equivalent.

The NAV system is somewhat confusing, and all input/requests are blocked when you are moving- not able for example to look for a different address or a particular restaurant at your destination once you are moving. THe input for the NAV and editing functions are cryptic, could be much easier.

15K Miles & 7 Months Later - GREAT!
By tlluvr

2010 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

See my previous posts for more info under Third Timer. Just want to clarify this car does not require Ester type oil which some dealers are charging over $90 to replace at oil change time. Nissan recommends this type oil, but any synthetic 5W30 oil will suffice. You can also use NON-synthetic oil as long as you change it every 3000 miles. Do not waste your money for $100 oil changes! Ester is a component of synthetic oil formulas, not some mystical oil type only Nissan makes! Don't be fooled! Also, premium gas is recommended but not required! Need a minimum of 87 octane. Reference Nissan Owner Man. I highly recommend this vehicle...a fantastic value!

Engine performance, styling like a Jag, dependability, roominess, dual sunroof, nav, Bose stereo, heated & cooled seats, heated steering wheel, NO torque steer like some front wheel drives!

Cover to the cup holder needs to open towards passenger rather than driver, controls for rear shade and heated seats is very difficult to reach when cups are in holders, no accessory mode function when shutting off engine (lose radio reception)

• SUV