Used 2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Best value in the segment
By Max

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I researched vehicles for at least 1 year before purchasing my 09 SV Prem/Tech White/Caffe Latte Max. I have owned three previous Maxima bodystyles. Funny how many other reviews start out with mention of previous maxima ownership. That says a lot about this car. I love the style, power, options, reliability, and value. It was between this car and Hyundai Genesis 3.8 sedan, but I needed to have front wheel drive. I am very happy with this car and look forward to buying the next full updated model in 4-5 years. Only wish I had waited for rebate offers to save 6k or 0%, but you have to pay to play.

double sunroof(contrasting black roof on white paint), turn signal mirrors, intelligent key, cooled seat, power, throttle response, traction in snow, navigation/bose sound system, paint quality, headlight brightness, interior comfort, quality build, but most-size and design of steering wheel!

Premium fuel requirement, fuel economy, torque steer-(its worth dealing with for snow traction), turning radius, wheel design on SV prem/tech (wish I had the 19's from sport), rear windows are auto down only, and don't dare drop anything small between the seats because you're never gonna get it out.

Power needs RWD or AWD
By jolros

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I've owned the basic, basic Maxima a year now. Great power. Need to merge on the freeway? no problem it'll suck everyone to the seat. Any pothole or uneven surface though will pull the car in the direction you're steering with the torque. I didn't get the 19" rims and regret it. It doesn't handle like my IS250, but will smoke it at any speed. Needs AWD or RWD, but nice and roomy, where my IS250 has a huge bump for the drive train. Get the high intensity lights too, I can't tell if my lights are on. I wish this car had half the turning radius of my IS250 which can u-turn in like 1 lane vs. 3 lanes for the Maxima. All in all, very pleased. 0-60 in 6.2sec by just mashing the gas. Its fun.

Down shifting in a turn and accelerating smoothly without jump of an auto transmission. Trunk can fit two of my son's 16" bicycles and more. Cockpit is nice. Keyless. No problems with CVT, but Nissan extended the warranty on it.

Panic button on remote needs to be hidden a little better or smaller, it goes off in my pocket a lot at home. Trunk latch works fine, but is loud and clanky. Tighten turning radius. Cup holders and power outlet for the back seat (maybe its an upgrade). For safety, high intensity lights are a must.

Great Car, BUT...
By nmorrisasu

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Iíve owned many Maximas and all were good cars (94, 97, 98, 2002). But this one is the best Maxima yet! However, with all that there is a down side with this car. As was the case with my old 2002 MAX, this one seems not to have a good sense of direction. The steering doesnít stay straight and tends to wonder around left-right based on the road crown and irregularities. There was also a strong pull to the right that was partially fixed by the dealer swapping the wheels from left to right sides. If I knew that the 09 would have a similar steering issues as my old 2002, I would have gone for a different car. Other than that, I have no complaint so far (5K miles).

1. Great engine. 2. Nav 3. XM radio 4. Comfortable seats 5. Fast, but the #1 implies that 6. Paddle shifters 7. Great iPod integration 8. Good gas mileage for a 290HP car

1. Fix the imprecise steering, torque steer. 2. Add folding back seats to the sports package model. 3. Support iPod video playback 4. Fix sunroof noise (when open). The 2002 model had a much quieter sunroof.

Great Car; large engine=a bit lower mpg
By baroja

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This is my third Max; had the first one in 1989, and 2000. Love Consumer Reports, but they are dead wrong complaining about light steering at low speeds. THAT is one of the features that enables this car to maneuver easily. Driving around town,however, I am only getting about 19.5 (avg of -30 mph). Started to go cheap, but when compared, the features of the SV far outweigh the S for the $. Had a 2006 VW Passat Sports6, and while the Max doesn't drive as tight as that, it is far more comfy, and I don't anticipate living at the dealer's service facility for minor stuff that = a thousand cuts.

All features work as advertised; this car drives effortlessly, with very little body lean, and great ride quality.

The flared out hood in the front can take getting used to when parking; it is wider in front and back than in middle; but getting used to it.

HOT HOT HOT!!
By Nor'-easter

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I waited a year to write my review and I still love this car. It is fast, it corners, and it just wants to go!! It's like an anxious race horse at the starting gate. If you want to change lanes on the freeway - this car will throw you back in the seat from any speed. Most professional reviews fail to note that Nissan designs and builds race cars. I suspect most of the professional reviewers have not even driven this car. If you are any kind of a race enthusiast then you will not find a better ride for the money. It is just plain fun to drive.

CVT, FWD, Responsiveness, handling, sleek, sound system