Used 2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 137 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

45K+ miles and loving it...
By ricor25

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

2009 Maxima SV, (45,211 Miles) and by far the best car I have owned. I have had it for 16 months now. Handling is great and amazing great looks, love the body lines and hood. I have driven this car twice from the San Francisco to Washington D.C. and have enjoyed every minute driving it across the country without any problems. I have the technology package and love all the features that are available on it. stereo & interior comforts are excellent.

1. New redesigned looks 2. Comfort 3. integrated Tech. Pkg is excellent 5. Excellent HP

I would like a little better fuel economy, but if I am spend over 30k on a car, then fuel economy is not really a concerned with me. I would like to see an AWD version if possible.

Very Nice ride
By T. O

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Had my Maxima for a year now. Owned a 2000 GLE prior to my 2009. The body style is one of the coolest cars on the road. I get compliments on a weekly basis. Got the sport package, 19'' rims, enjoy the XM radio. I had to buy the SV in order to get the XM so with the sport package that put me me up in the $33k range which is a lot for this car. What happened to the wood paneling? I've seen 97' Maxima's with wood grain and my $33k 2009 doesn't have it???? It lacks the true luxury feel without it. Had to replace a fuel pump in first 6 months but other than that the car has been reliable. The trunk is extremely heavy, turning radius is poor but it handles great! Overall I like the car

290HP, this car can get off the line! Great look, nice lines, 19'' rims, very sporting look for a 4 door, upgraded leather package is nice, best feature is the keyless button on the driver and passenger doors. Great when carrying groceries.

when I mash the gas the car gets out of control and has to regain itself. The trunk is extremely heavy compared to my 2000 Max. When the car turns off you can here a lot of crackling under the hood like its been pushed too hard. Requires premium fuel

Best value in the segment
By Max

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I researched vehicles for at least 1 year before purchasing my 09 SV Prem/Tech White/Caffe Latte Max. I have owned three previous Maxima bodystyles. Funny how many other reviews start out with mention of previous maxima ownership. That says a lot about this car. I love the style, power, options, reliability, and value. It was between this car and Hyundai Genesis 3.8 sedan, but I needed to have front wheel drive. I am very happy with this car and look forward to buying the next full updated model in 4-5 years. Only wish I had waited for rebate offers to save 6k or 0%, but you have to pay to play.

double sunroof(contrasting black roof on white paint), turn signal mirrors, intelligent key, cooled seat, power, throttle response, traction in snow, navigation/bose sound system, paint quality, headlight brightness, interior comfort, quality build, but most-size and design of steering wheel!

Premium fuel requirement, fuel economy, torque steer-(its worth dealing with for snow traction), turning radius, wheel design on SV prem/tech (wish I had the 19's from sport), rear windows are auto down only, and don't dare drop anything small between the seats because you're never gonna get it out.

Power needs RWD or AWD
By jolros

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I've owned the basic, basic Maxima a year now. Great power. Need to merge on the freeway? no problem it'll suck everyone to the seat. Any pothole or uneven surface though will pull the car in the direction you're steering with the torque. I didn't get the 19" rims and regret it. It doesn't handle like my IS250, but will smoke it at any speed. Needs AWD or RWD, but nice and roomy, where my IS250 has a huge bump for the drive train. Get the high intensity lights too, I can't tell if my lights are on. I wish this car had half the turning radius of my IS250 which can u-turn in like 1 lane vs. 3 lanes for the Maxima. All in all, very pleased. 0-60 in 6.2sec by just mashing the gas. Its fun.

Down shifting in a turn and accelerating smoothly without jump of an auto transmission. Trunk can fit two of my son's 16" bicycles and more. Cockpit is nice. Keyless. No problems with CVT, but Nissan extended the warranty on it.

Panic button on remote needs to be hidden a little better or smaller, it goes off in my pocket a lot at home. Trunk latch works fine, but is loud and clanky. Tighten turning radius. Cup holders and power outlet for the back seat (maybe its an upgrade). For safety, high intensity lights are a must.

Great Car, BUT...
By nmorrisasu

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I’ve owned many Maximas and all were good cars (94, 97, 98, 2002). But this one is the best Maxima yet! However, with all that there is a down side with this car. As was the case with my old 2002 MAX, this one seems not to have a good sense of direction. The steering doesn’t stay straight and tends to wonder around left-right based on the road crown and irregularities. There was also a strong pull to the right that was partially fixed by the dealer swapping the wheels from left to right sides. If I knew that the 09 would have a similar steering issues as my old 2002, I would have gone for a different car. Other than that, I have no complaint so far (5K miles).

1. Great engine. 2. Nav 3. XM radio 4. Comfortable seats 5. Fast, but the #1 implies that 6. Paddle shifters 7. Great iPod integration 8. Good gas mileage for a 290HP car

1. Fix the imprecise steering, torque steer. 2. Add folding back seats to the sports package model. 3. Support iPod video playback 4. Fix sunroof noise (when open). The 2002 model had a much quieter sunroof.