Used 2009 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2009 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Great Blend of Handling, Ride, Power!
By hgwells

2009 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I found this car to be the best blend of looks, power, handling, ride, quality and fun-to-drive compared to Lexus 350, Infiniti G-37, BMW 328i and Hyundai Genesis. It is a great value and vastly under-rated in some professional car magazines. CVT transmission, HID headlights and audio system are among the best. (Somewhat taut suspension is fine on most roads but sensitive to poor ones.) I've had it 13 months and no problems at all. Service at two dealers has been fine.

Favorite Features

Handling, power, CVT transmission, HID headlights, Bose audio system (best of all cars tested), head-turning exterior/interior styling, Z-type steering wheel, comfort, quality. (Nissan extended the transmission warranty to 10 years.)

Suggested Improvements

Gas tank cap is a bit quirky--sometimes difficult to seal.

Always wanted one
By fammaxima

2009 Nissan Maxima 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased this car with 33,000 miles on it. My wife and I love it. And to boot, all three car seats fit in the back. The car seat fiasco was tough but it worked. The car drives very smoothly and for those speed freaks, this car can move. if you are looking for a car with some horse as well as room and comfort, then this car is for you.

Favorite Features

gas mileage, styling, stereo, interior room

Suggested Improvements

The door handles are chrome but as you open them, they feel like they are coming unhinged. i had the dealer check it out and it appears that there are no issues. Nissan must of had to cut at least one corner in order to give consumers this type of car for the price.

Nissan Security Flawed
By MaximaT

2009 Nissan Maxima 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I am a big Nissan Enthusiast and was very excited to get my 2009 Maxima. Overall it has been a great car, however, these week I was targeted by car thieves because they knew that the car had a security flaw. They were able to roll down both front windows unlock the doors and get in without setting off the alarm. When the police arrived they informed my that Maxima, Altima and G35 have had this issue since 2004! Why Nissan has not addressed this in the new Maxima model is beyond me. The estimate fix the damaged caused to the door skin and lock is over $1000 and I would still be vulnerable to future break ins. I am very disappointed in this development and Nissan's lack of accountability.

Favorite Features

I like the body styling with the big shoulders.

Suggested Improvements

Nissan. Please provide a recall on the flawed locking mechanism and replace it with a design that does what it is supposed to do. Provide confidence for potential buyers in your product and provide peace of mind to those who have already invested in your product.

45K+ miles and loving it...
By ricor25

2009 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

2009 Maxima SV, (45,211 Miles) and by far the best car I have owned. I have had it for 16 months now. Handling is great and amazing great looks, love the body lines and hood. I have driven this car twice from the San Francisco to Washington D.C. and have enjoyed every minute driving it across the country without any problems. I have the technology package and love all the features that are available on it. stereo & interior comforts are excellent.

Favorite Features

1. New redesigned looks 2. Comfort 3. integrated Tech. Pkg is excellent 5. Excellent HP

Suggested Improvements

I would like a little better fuel economy, but if I am spend over 30k on a car, then fuel economy is not really a concerned with me. I would like to see an AWD version if possible.

Very Nice ride
By T. O

2009 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Had my Maxima for a year now. Owned a 2000 GLE prior to my 2009. The body style is one of the coolest cars on the road. I get compliments on a weekly basis. Got the sport package, 19'' rims, enjoy the XM radio. I had to buy the SV in order to get the XM so with the sport package that put me me up in the $33k range which is a lot for this car. What happened to the wood paneling? I've seen 97' Maxima's with wood grain and my $33k 2009 doesn't have it???? It lacks the true luxury feel without it. Had to replace a fuel pump in first 6 months but other than that the car has been reliable. The trunk is extremely heavy, turning radius is poor but it handles great! Overall I like the car

Favorite Features

290HP, this car can get off the line! Great look, nice lines, 19'' rims, very sporting look for a 4 door, upgraded leather package is nice, best feature is the keyless button on the driver and passenger doors. Great when carrying groceries.

Suggested Improvements

when I mash the gas the car gets out of control and has to regain itself. The trunk is extremely heavy compared to my 2000 Max. When the car turns off you can here a lot of crackling under the hood like its been pushed too hard. Requires premium fuel