Used 2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Awesome car for a GREAT price
By Lucas JP

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased a new 09 Maxima after much research and lots of time looking and driving a few other cars. When I first decided to buy a new car, my wife recommended a MAX because she has an 08 - Well, they are COMPLETELY different. This car feels roomier inside and even drives bigger. The exteriors also look separate. Overall - if you want a car in this price range just go DRIVE a MAX and you'll end up taking one home. The tech features as well make it a hard car to pass by. Overall it's an awesome car and I wouldn't want any other vehicle in it's class...possibly even in a few classes above it.

The Ipod interface, comfy seats, fun to hold steering wheel, spaciousness of the cabin.

The only problem I've seen so far has been this issue with the radio. Every so often, when I am first starting out driving and place the car in gear, it will switch the radio to the ipod and be blank - no music. Dealer said it's a known issue and nothing they can do about it.

The Best Maxima Yet
By moondan1

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have been leasing new Maximas every 3 years since 1996 (except for 2006 when I opted for the V6 Altima) and the 2009 SV is the best one yet. For the money, it is the best FWD sports sedan available. It is extremely powerful, the CVT is very smooth (although opting to drive in the "S" or "Manual" modes allows you to feel as though the engine is shifting gears), and provides a nice balance between sporty handling and comfort. Based on Edmunds' review (which I am in complete agreement with), I did not get the Sport package and am perfectly happy without it. I have been disappointed with Nissan's treatment of the Maxima these past few years, but am thrilled that for 2009 they nailed it!

Exterior styling (it's a head turner), powerful engine, handling, and interior comfort.

The parking brake should be less prominent as it tends to get in my way.

Good value, fun car
By realhawker

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I was leaving my 2007 9-3 Saab, looking for something with more rear room, bigger trunk and a little more tech features. Looked at the Infiniti G37xS sedan, which was everything I wanted, except that I really wasn't in love with its exterior looks, and the rear seat was not that much roomier than my Saab. I also looked at the Hyundai Genesis, which was very interesting, but I just wasn't a fan of the center console, the pricing I was getting and the fact that I would be telling people I had a Hyundai for $500 a month. Maxima ended up being the best balance, although I would have preferred the 7sp and extra horsepower of the G37

Dual sunroof, this is not surprisingly on of my favorite features. I have 2 young kids who sit in the backseat, and the glass room really brightens up the interior. Front seat design makes it feel like there is more rear room, and the lack of a "hump" in the middle. MPG is good, given pwr

Change interior lighting color, I am NOT a fan of amber - I had an Altima with the same scheme back in 04'-07' Offer Spoiler and 19" wheels on SV premium?

Alternator Problems
By LFOS

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Actually a great car, EXCEPT it just quit in the middle of a parkway, battery light came on and car stopped. Towed to dealer, can't find anything,replaced battery. Two days later car quits again, this time a referburshed alternator put on, (note 8K miles on a 2009), also replaced wiring harness for alternator with after market, not listed on repair order because they purchased seperately, to wait for a new one from Nissan would take 3 days, THEY didn't want to wait, not me! Now I'm driving a car with 8K and a used alternator and who knows wiring harness, Still no answer on why the alternator went out and the harness burned!!I should have my head examined!!

Bluetooth, Seat a/c,paddle shifters,XM radio,handling all around

More head room for driver,put shift lever on dash and move console forward, it is too far back to open comfortably

2009 Maxima 3.5 S
By artie

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

The time had come to part with my 2006 Mustang GT because I needed a four season driver. I looked at Altima, Malibu, Fusion, Passat and Accord. They were all great automoblies, but none of them were distinctive enough to lure me into making the move. My wife suggested I look at the Maxima. I did not think I could afford the car, but the trade/purchase numbers allowed me to get into the 3.5S and I am quite impressed with this automobile. The build quality is top notch. The engine/CVT transmission combination is smooth and powerful. I have read some negative reviews of the body style and I am surprised. The body style of this vehicle is one of the main reasons I purchased it. So far, a winner!

Engine/CVT transmission combination, Keyless entry/ignition was a great suprise! Looks, Ride, interior is ultra-quiet. Build quality. Gas mileage not bad for a large car. I am currenty averaging 26 mpg.

Power mirror adjustment should be located on the drivers door instead of the dash. Base S model should include fog lights.

• SUV