Used 2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews - 137 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

2009 Nissan Maxima (this was never a $40,000 car)
By Joy

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I purchased this vehicle when it was about 2 years old. I have had it now for 5 years. So many problems -- steering wheel motor for the telescoping stopped working and of course dealerships want to charge me $1,000. Nissan Manufactures declined to fix it although the extended warranty had just expired -- interesting and I see this problem all over the internet where steering wheel mechanisms goes bad on a Maxima. This is not an old car. Nissan will not fix the problems. Recently alternator went out on while I was in traffic on the 110 fwy in Los Angeles. Each time I take the car to the dealer its something new. Lower ARMs $1,288.88, Front struts $1.061.52, Rear Shocks $843.99 and Air filter $27.20. I took my car to Firestone to get the AC leak repaired -- dealer wanted to rob me. This is not a $40,000 car. I would say lease it but never buy it or stay far away from Nissan altogether. I have had too many problems for a vehicle I purchased Certified. I thought Certified was an extra protection -- it was not in my case. My Toyota is 1999 and I have not had this many problems. I purchased my car at Nissan Auto Nation Power on Rosecrans near 405 fwy. The car had originally purchased at South Bay Nissan. I place the blame on the manufacture as well as the dealerships. Maybe my post will stop someone from buying a Nissan and especially a Maxima.

Underrated Performance
By D. Crane

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This car is a well kept performance secret. Great performance at a great price !!

Best Car Ever Owned
By ksp2trader

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SV 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Without a doubt, the best car I have ever owned, and I have owned plenty.

Hottest looking car on the road with its sexy lines, accelerates like it has a supercharged V8 with endless power (thanks CVT) and handles like a RWD sports car yet is still a awesome family car if need be.

I own a White on Black with the Sport/Tech package SV (awesome Navi system), have 115k on the odometer and never had any major problems with the car.

Looks, performance, reliability, I think I summed up the perfect car.

Acceleration, handling and looks. It is also nice that it does not break down, ever.

Nissan needs a Maxima that will compete with the Ford Taurus SHO. Its about time for a AWD 400+HP Twin-Turbo V6!! However, for the SV model, a avaiable AWD will be nice, convert all the lighting to LED, combine the Premium & Sport packages.

The Problem Car
By momadukes

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

My car was making a roaring noise so I took it to the dealer. The just about replaced the whole front it. The problems with the air condition was exhausting they had to replace the compressor, condenser and found out it was the intake sensor. Now the car is making a squeaking in the back which now it means it need shocks. This car has to many kinks in it that wasn't worked out.

The car drives and accelerates well . I like the body style it looks very sheek

This car needs to have more research done on it. There are to many small problem which is nerve racking . Then when you deal with Nissan or dealership they are lost and don't really help unless you push the issues. This car needs some recalls on it. These issues are expensive. If you don't have a warranty or an extended one your lost.

Good for the money...just good
By bigeandkenna

2009 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 S 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have a base model with cloth seats. Basically a rental car. But you would never know it from 10 feet away. Same good looks, same wheels, same growl from the exhaust. This car has great power and handling for $31G. Average 19MPG of premium. 27 on long trips. This car has long legs and you find yourself driving too fast. Interior quality has been disappointing. Rocking drivers seat- replaced once and still rocks and at 28K miles the interior rattles. The CVT drops the RPM's to early on slow driving and it groans. Steering column locked up and needed replacement. Back seat is hard to get in and out of for taller persons but ok once inside.

Power, Handling, brakes, steering, styling

Interior needs more attention to quality, too many squeaks and rattles, premium fuel requirement gets expensive on fill ups. And a car of this type and price should come with fog lights, even the base model.