2008 Nissan Maxima Consumer Review: Very good but not great

2008 Nissan Maxima Sedan - Consumer Review

Very good but not great
By Kojak on

2008 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This car has so much potential but.... I researched cars for months looking for a replacement for my 99 5 speed Maxima. Ended up with another Max although was not pleased with the transmission choice. The CV tranny is ok, smooth and quiet, but leaves you feeling disconnected from the engine and the road. I feel much less like I'm driving a sports sedan and more like dads buick. The car is very roomy, heat and a/c works well, leather is nice, the car looks nice too. The tires and rims look great, but the tires are too low profile resulting in a really rough ride. Have already blown out one front strut. Did not like the Bose radio in my old Max and the one in my 08 is worse.

The engine. The engine. The engine. Did I mention the engine? Although there is something odd about the design, air filter gets dirty very fast. 26000 miles and am about to put filter number 4 in.

Turning radius is poor. Heated seats never ever get warm. My 99 max seat heater was much better. Gas mileage.... I get 21 mpg. How about 26 mpg with 200 HP and a 6 speed manual? Fuel light comes on way to early. Like 1/8 of a tank and light comes on. Soft paint, scratches too easy. Blind spots ;-(