2008 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews

2008 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

2008 Maxima Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Excellent car, excellent value!
By bobafett14

2008 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Only negative is the turning radius. 3 point turns and squeezing around tight spots (i.e. parking lots) can be tricky at times. Othewise, this is a great car at a great price. Holds up well, repairs are minimal. I went with a Nissan Maxima after years ago vowing never to buy chevy after seeing a fleet of salesman (company) cars (1/2 the sales force picked Chevy Mailbu 1/2 picked the Altima, 6 Malibus and 6 Altimas go head to head over a 3 year run). Basically the Malibu's ALL started shaking, rattling, needed "front end" work..ballbearings needed repaired, brakes/rotors...you name it...all went after about 24K to 26K..the Altimas didn't need any repairs until into thier 30K's.

Favorite Features

Interior is nice, excellent engine performance, little to no maitenance and repairs needed, and i'm over 50K in miles!

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius.

Great Car
By lwash1212

2008 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I bought a 08 Maxima about 4 months ago. Driving this car is a blast it has plenty of power and the lack of road noise is incredible. After reading reviews on how horrible this car is on hitting bumps in the road. I came to the conclusion that as long as your not hitting bumps at excessive speeds just like any car its perfect. The design of the exterior is real classy with a sports car feel. The interior is comfortable and there is a few pieces that I think could be made alot better but that comes along with any car. I love the car and the only complaint from me is the turning radius but if you've ever owned a sports car they all are.

Won't get fooled again
By WhatHappened?

2008 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

In the first 12k miles, I've had: 3-4 service trips for check engine light before replacing faulty gas cap. service: re-glue interior upholstery near moon roof. It was suggested that the cause of it coming off may have been use. Use. Guess they never planned on people using it more than 3 times. service: re-glue cheap material around steering column which was splitting along the seam. Guess I wasn't supposed to use the steering wheel either. - worst car in snow I've ever driven - jarring ride - scraped bottom going 1 mph over a speed bump. - very quick to scratch, chip, rust. - sun visor bracket came loose when I popped it off to put visor by side. started rattling. Total # uses:2

Favorite Features

Engine is good and transmission hasn't failed in the first 12k miles, despite my having used both of these components multiple times. Earlier model year Maxima drivers will not know how miserable you are with yours unless you let them ride in it.

Suggested Improvements

Spend the extra 50 cents per vehicle to use better glue/screws/Velcro. Fix suspension. Lower prices or use better materials/paint/rustproofing. Start planning an incentive program to win back consumers who have left Nissan due to their 2008-2010 model year vehicles.

Fun car, HORRIBLE turn ratio!
By Sarry

2008 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have always driven Honda's. Decided to turn in my Honda Civic for a 2008 Nissan Maxima. Totally FUN to drive! Blow by people while barely pushing in the accelerator! Overall a really nice car. Gas mileage not great but its a souped up V6 sports car, I expected that. The one MAJOR complaint I have is the turn ratio! I have to practically make a three-point turn to get into a parking space. Trading it in because of those two things. Can't stand it anymore. I can barely get through a coffee drive through! Put good tires on it and it's actually pretty good in the snow for a CAR. Traction control.

Favorite Features

Speed, sound system, look.

Suggested Improvements

Turn ratio! HORRIBLE.

Low build quality that takes all the fun
By Hondaguy

2008 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Nissan wanted to make the most profit possible, so they built this nice car with the lowest quality parts available. The car has nice transmission, powerful engine, comfortable seats. and low quality material. bad suspension, below average rims quality, precise steering that won't last long. noisy gas tank when it's full.The car also has a very large turning radius makes you feel you're turning with a semi truck. Nissan also has a very bad customer service with the slowest response in the industry.

Favorite Features

CVT transmission, powerful engine, comfortable interior.

Suggested Improvements

suspension, rims, steering components, smaller turning radius and using higher quality parts in general that matched the car 30k sticker price.

Already traded it in
By Katprielle

2008 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Traded in '99 Altima for 2008 Maxima, loaded w/everything but nav system. I missed my Altima. Battery went out within a year. Not prepared for how low it sat (my fault, it's a sports sedan). I scraped the front bumper (visible damage) on the curb of a parking space within a month and had a hard time getting in and out of steep parking lots. The turning radius is horrible and the car is so long that I had a very hard time parking and backing out of tighter spaces. I live in a city where it floods; I kicked myself for two years because the car sits so low I could not really drive in the rain. I traded it in for an AWD Subaru Forrester that sits up high, has great clearance and turns on a dime.

Favorite Features

CVT, Bose Stereo, keyless entry and start, nice looking car with nice interior.

Suggested Improvements

Better trunk light. Needs a much better turning radius. Very rough ride over bumps. I'd prefer it to sit higher off the ground, but again, it's a sports sedan so live and learn.

Feel every bump in the road
By eileen

2008 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I went from a Jeep to a VW to a Nissan and will never buy Japanese or Nissan again. I like the car overall but you feel every single little bump in the road. It feels like your rims are going to crack when you go over a bump.

Suggested Improvements

Better handling and suspension

Nissan rules
By bambam1962

2008 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I/we own a 1997 maxima, with 197900 mileage, never been in the shop.. replaced only the alternator and a heater sensor behind the glove box which was simple.. OK as of this one the 2008 just purchased 12/18/09 so far so good.

Favorite Features

CVT trans, Bose system, heated seats, 18" rims, leather, you know what everything!!

Suggested Improvements

the Body and motor,, have to agree with others I cant tell the differences maxima and altima the Max should have a 3.8V6 even better a 4.2L V6 fast baby.. zoom boom past mazda.. lol

Good, but needs a tighter turning radius
By Max

2008 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This model is a good size for what I need. My 2 sons have plenty of room in the rear.

Favorite Features

I love the styling

Suggested Improvements

This model has the worst turning radius of any car I've ever owned. It drives me nuts knowing I can't make a quick turn without backing up. I also own a 99 with 207M miles and a excellent turning radius.

Very good but not great
By Kojak

2008 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This car has so much potential but.... I researched cars for months looking for a replacement for my 99 5 speed Maxima. Ended up with another Max although was not pleased with the transmission choice. The CV tranny is ok, smooth and quiet, but leaves you feeling disconnected from the engine and the road. I feel much less like I'm driving a sports sedan and more like dads buick. The car is very roomy, heat and a/c works well, leather is nice, the car looks nice too. The tires and rims look great, but the tires are too low profile resulting in a really rough ride. Have already blown out one front strut. Did not like the Bose radio in my old Max and the one in my 08 is worse.

Favorite Features

The engine. The engine. The engine. Did I mention the engine? Although there is something odd about the design, air filter gets dirty very fast. 26000 miles and am about to put filter number 4 in.

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius is poor. Heated seats never ever get warm. My 99 max seat heater was much better. Gas mileage.... I get 21 mpg. How about 26 mpg with 200 HP and a 6 speed manual? Fuel light comes on way to early. Like 1/8 of a tank and light comes on. Soft paint, scratches too easy. Blind spots ;-(