Used 2008 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2008 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By Jo Stevens

2008 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I had never owned a Nissan in my life but saw the Maxima and loved it's looks, so I pulled into the lot and ordered one to my specifications and have never regretted doing so. It is the best car I have ever had. Never had one minutes trouble from it since the day I got it in Feb. 2008. I have only had to change the oil every 5,000 miles and put two sets of tires on it in the 8 years I've had this car.

Excellent car, excellent value!
By bobafett14

2008 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

Only negative is the turning radius.
3 point turns and squeezing around tight spots (i.e. parking lots) can be tricky at times.

Othewise, this is a great car at a great price.
Holds up well, repairs are minimal.
I went with a Nissan Maxima after years ago vowing never to buy chevy after seeing a fleet of salesman (company) cars (1/2 the sales force picked Chevy Mailbu 1/2 picked the Altima, 6 Malibus and 6 Altimas go head to head over a 3 year run).
Basically the Malibu's ALL started shaking, rattling, needed "front end" work..ballbearings needed repaired, brakes/rotors...you name it...all went after about 24K to 26K..the Altimas didn't need any repairs until into thier 30K's.

Interior is nice, excellent engine performance, little to no maitenance and repairs needed, and i'm over 50K in miles!

Turning radius.

Won't get fooled again
By WhatHappened?

2008 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

In the first 12k miles, I've had: 3-4 service trips for check engine light before replacing faulty gas cap. service: re-glue interior upholstery near moon roof. It was suggested that the cause of it coming off may have been use. Use. Guess they never planned on people using it more than 3 times. service: re-glue cheap material around steering column which was splitting along the seam. Guess I wasn't supposed to use the steering wheel either. - worst car in snow I've ever driven - jarring ride - scraped bottom going 1 mph over a speed bump. - very quick to scratch, chip, rust. - sun visor bracket came loose when I popped it off to put visor by side. started rattling. Total # uses:2

Engine is good and transmission hasn't failed in the first 12k miles, despite my having used both of these components multiple times. Earlier model year Maxima drivers will not know how miserable you are with yours unless you let them ride in it.

Spend the extra 50 cents per vehicle to use better glue/screws/Velcro. Fix suspension. Lower prices or use better materials/paint/rustproofing. Start planning an incentive program to win back consumers who have left Nissan due to their 2008-2010 model year vehicles.

Feel every bump in the road
By eileen

2008 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I went from a Jeep to a VW to a Nissan and will never buy Japanese or Nissan again. I like the car overall but you feel every single little bump in the road. It feels like your rims are going to crack when you go over a bump.

Better handling and suspension

I LOVE, LOVE THIS CAR!!
By Laurie

2008 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I traded a Nissan Quest for the Maxima in the fall of 2007 and I couldn't be happier! My parents owned Datsun products when I was a kid--anyone remember the 280Z? This car is fun to drive, handles beautifully, lots of power, and extremely reliable. Not one problem since the purchase.

Heated steering wheel, XM radio, EVERYTHING!

2009 models came out... not impressed with the look--looks like a Toyota. Only negative thing I can say about the '08 Max is the turning radius. You can't turn this car on a dime, but the everything else makes up for it!