Used 2008 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2008 Nissan Maxima

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Won't get fooled again
By WhatHappened?

2008 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

In the first 12k miles, I've had: 3-4 service trips for check engine light before replacing faulty gas cap. service: re-glue interior upholstery near moon roof. It was suggested that the cause of it coming off may have been use. Use. Guess they never planned on people using it more than 3 times. service: re-glue cheap material around steering column which was splitting along the seam. Guess I wasn't supposed to use the steering wheel either. - worst car in snow I've ever driven - jarring ride - scraped bottom going 1 mph over a speed bump. - very quick to scratch, chip, rust. - sun visor bracket came loose when I popped it off to put visor by side. started rattling. Total # uses:2

Favorite Features

Engine is good and transmission hasn't failed in the first 12k miles, despite my having used both of these components multiple times. Earlier model year Maxima drivers will not know how miserable you are with yours unless you let them ride in it.

Suggested Improvements

Spend the extra 50 cents per vehicle to use better glue/screws/Velcro. Fix suspension. Lower prices or use better materials/paint/rustproofing. Start planning an incentive program to win back consumers who have left Nissan due to their 2008-2010 model year vehicles.

CVT is HORRIBLE!!
By Fred

2008 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This is my 6th Nissan (third Maxima) and my last. There is a constant rumbling vibration felt through the gas pedal and steering wheel between 20-45 mph. Dealer tried couldn't fix it, so rep came and said "this is normal for this transmission". NORMAL!? For a $30,000 car! They tout this new transmission as seamless, which apparently it's not. So, I'm now stuck with it! It's a design flaw Nissan won't admit to.

Favorite Features

Roomy.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the CVT! Major design flaw causing vibrations during normal city driving.

Feel every bump in the road
By eileen

2008 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I went from a Jeep to a VW to a Nissan and will never buy Japanese or Nissan again. I like the car overall but you feel every single little bump in the road. It feels like your rims are going to crack when you go over a bump.

Suggested Improvements

Better handling and suspension

Problems!
By PJM

2008 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

I have had problems with this vehicle since the day we drove it home from the dealer. After 4 months of trying to deal with Nissan, we have yet to have anyone actually take responsibility to fix or replace this car. We have waited weeks for phone calls. We have a brand new car that we are afraid to drive and nobody seems to know how to fix it. Nissan is also ignoring the service dept at the dealership attempting to repair this car. Guess the next step is to hire a lawyer.

Suggested Improvements

Would be nice if car didn't stop in the middle of an intersection, or while driving down the interstate at 75 miles per hour. Just a little too dangerous for me. Was a bit scary when I smelled something burning one day when I parked it in the garage too. Was told there were some problems with wires

Not even close to a sports car!
By Hatedit

2008 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl CVT)

This model is marketed as a sports sedan. Don't be fooled. The transmission can't figure out what gear to be in. It takes several seconds to figure out to downshift. You can confuse it by using the manual shift mode. It reacts with disdain at any aggressive driving. The brakes fade and shudder with excessive use. It handles like a cow. Torque is completely absent. The turning ration is terrible as is fuel economy. The chrome wheels peel with only one winter. Expect to visit the dealer with many problems with ignition sensors & check engine lights. I traded a 2000 Maxima which was a completely different car. Check out that trade-in value! Nissan will NEVER get my business again.

Favorite Features

Nice creature comforts inside.

Suggested Improvements

Return to your roots. This car needs a soul. Remember that it should be fun to drive not a chore. Ditch the CVT for a faster reacting auto. How about a manual option?