NIGHTMARE!
By ncjenn on
2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
A week after buying this car in July '12, I took it back, since it had been driving badly. After about 15 minutes of driving, the engine would rev to over 4k RPM's and then jerk hard,even slamming me back into my seat. When it did it for my husband, he insisted there was definitely a problem with the tranny. Not slipping, but rather shifting hard. My dealer waited for Nissan to respond, and of course, Nissan refused to participate. So when my dealer offered to put in a re-built tranny, it also turned out to be bad. Now waiting on Nissan rep to come investigate. Disgusted that Nissan makes a car and only stands behind it for a few years. I now wish they would stand in front of it!
Favorite Features
I love absolutely everything about the car, EXCEPT the bad transmission! I was disgusted to find that this has been a common problem for the '06 Maximas and that Nissan will not participate in any form of repair or even recall. It's a terrifyingly dangerous malfunction! We bought the car to have a more reliable vehicle for our 16 Y/O son to drive, and there is NO way I could ever let him drive it after how the transmission acts! Reading others' reviews and seeing that it has caused accidents, I could never forgive myself if he were involved in an accident driving this car!
Suggested Improvements
Nissan needs to stand behind every aspect of every vehicle they produce! Not just the brand new ones! If they don't do something to redeem themselves after this, I will never own another Nissan!
By jjmarie97
on 09/06/12 09:59 AM (PDT)

It's most likely NOT your transmission! Those transmissions are pretty solid and are used in several other vehicles. Instead of a transmission overhaul that can cost between $3500 & $5000...just replace the valve body! It's about a $1500 repair (give or take depending on the shop labor costs). I was dealing with the exact same problems you and many others are complaining about for several months. It started off every once in a while the RPMs would rev up really high and slam back into gear, causing the car to jar forward. Then it was more frequent with pulling out of park and reverse. I took my car to 3 local Nissan Dealerships and 2 transmission shops (they recommended) all to come back with the same "you need a complete transmission overhaul". So two transmission flushes and other misc. findings fixed later (about $600 into repairs at this point)... I called a transmission shop that was recommended and within 2 minutes of me explaining the problems, he said it was the "Valve Body" which is the brain of the transmission. He said all I need to do is replace it and it will fix the problem. WHICH IT DID!!! Car is driving like its a brand spankin new tranmission for 3 months....NO problems what-so-ever!! :) I suggest you call a few transmission shops and price a valve body replacement before your pay to overhaul a transmission that will do the same thing it did before...if you don't replace the valve body! All these dealerships are out to do is get more money out of the consumer and could care less about a known issue. Nissan is completely aware of this defect...but will do nothing about it!