2006 Nissan Maxima Tranny Problem -- NOT TRANSMISSION
By jjmarie97 on
2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)
I bought my 2006 Maxima with 58K miles on it. Like many others, I started noticing gear shifting (auto trans) at about 98K miles, so I took it to the dealership that honored the warranty before it expired. They recommended I try a transmission flush, before the warranty company comes back and says I neglected to service my vehicle and refuses to pay for the transmission replacement. Which I did and it DID NOT fix the issues I was having (high RPM rev at random speeds, car slamming into gear, jarring forward out of 1st & reverse). Months passed and my car was in and out of the dealership shop trying one thing or another to resolve the problem. Eventually my warranty expired and surprise….I was on my own with repair cost! After several near death experiences due to the jarring and loss of acceleration at high rates of speed….I called a transmission shop that was recommended to me. Within 2 minutes of explaining the issues, he said “it’s not your transmission….it’s the Valve Body”. He explained to me that the transmissions are pretty solid (used in several models) and that the valve body is the “electronic brain” of the transmission. Even if you replace the transmission (not rebuild it), it will mostly continue to do the same things, since you never fixed the “electronic brain”. So speaking from experience in dealing with the same problems with my 2006 Maxima that many, many others have and are dealing with…DO NOT replace or rebuild your transmission and waste $5000 before you try the least expensive and most likely the cause of the issues (VALVE BODY), for $1500.00!! 
Favorite Features
Size and comfort of vehicle
Suggested Improvements
#1 Improvement: Headlamp cost & accessibility (replacing one is ridiculously hard & expensive)