Used 2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Maxima - Consumer Reviews

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan

View reviews for a specific Maxima model:

Shakey drive
By Wheel Shakes

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the worse car that I have ever owned. From the time I drove it off the lot, nothing but suspension problems and back to the dealership 10 times and still have the problem. No good in snow or rain. Tires are over $200 each..bad choice of car and brand. Dealership could not keep the problem fixed. Wheel shakes all the time when driving.

Rock Solid
By zoomer

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

No unplanned maintenance. NONE. I have 30K miles on it and still on original tires and brakes. I can't over-emphasize how reliable this car has been. Engine power is excellent, but too much for the tires and suspension of the SL. So easy to spin tires and the body lean is a bit much under hard cornering. I was hoping for a cross between prior cars 350Z and Lexus GS300, and maybe should've got a MaxSE.

Favorite Features

Heated steering wheel, steering wheel controls for radio, phone, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Interior materials are a bit cheap. Turning radius is a joke, as others have said.

Very Nice Car
By Nice Nissan

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SL 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car brand new in April 2006 and it has been solid mechanically. The only feature I dislike is that my electric controlled passenger side mirror had to be replaced due to the adjustment not resetting correctly after placing the car in reverse, which still did not correct the problem.

Favorite Features

Bose stereo system, heated seats and steering wheel. Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Electric mirrors

LOVE MY MAXIMA
By buttrnut

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car off of the showroom floor in Jan of 2008. I love, love, love my Maxima! Exceptional handling (can take a 30 MPH exit ramp at 70 MPH), acceleration is comparable to a V8, sometimes a bit scary... the power is underestimated. The exterior of the car screams "HOT". Sporty, low profile high performance ride. I took an 11 hour trip in this car and really enjoyed the ride, I averaged 29 MPG with a fully loaded trunk. I love the body style and was a little sad to see Nissan succumb to a Camry look for 2009. Hope the new body style grows on me because I would really like to be a Maxima-lifer!

Favorite Features

Exterior body style, tight suspension, lots of torque, manual shifter, lots of AC adapters, roomy trunk, great turning clearance.

Suggested Improvements

More standard features, upgrade console display, change orange lights to green.

I really wanted to love it.
By George

2006 Nissan Maxima Sedan 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car new since family had good luck with older Maximas in the late 90s but this one has been a disappointment. CD changer replaced 3 times for freezing up, lumbar support dead twice, center console arm support snapped, grille replaced for paint chipping, paint in general isn't great and now fighting with Nissan cause clutch and flywheel failed. Mechanics say its a defect but Nissan says its regular wear and tear. Funny how that works. BBB to the rescue!!! I do like driving this car but its put a sour taste in my mouth especially with how Nissan corporate treats its customers and just worrying about when I'll be sitting in service again. I think I just got a dud.

Favorite Features

Bose stereo, Bluetooth, 6 speed manual, cavernous, heated steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

MP3 jack, and that grille has to go.